Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Plopped garlic I got from Albertson's into the ground.....

.......and I'm seeing green stalks growing from it (3 weeks after I planted it). My store bought onions last year did the same thing but never got bigger than the size of a quarter.

Question: Do I have to seperate the garlic cloves from each other before I planted them? Same question goes for the store bought onion bundles.

TWC015

You need to separate the cloves right before you plant the garlic. Each clove will grow a new bulb next year. If you leave all the cloves attached, there will be multiple plants in a tiny space and they won't grow properly.

You are also planting way too early in Florida. You probably should not be planting garlic until November or December, late October at the earliest.

soil
Greener Thumb

yea plant separate cloves, and plant later. we don't plant garlic until november here.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I just figured I'd save $5 dollas by planting the garlic as is.

btw, does this go for onions as well?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yes

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Francis Barnswallow wrote:I just figured I'd save $5 dollas by planting the garlic as is.

btw, does this go for onions as well?
That kind of depends on what kinds of onions you are growing: bulb onions, green/scallion onions, nest onions, etc. Generally, unless you are growing green onions, you should space them.

Oh, and the depth depends on what kind you are growing, as well.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Francis, I did the exact same thing last year, in late October or early November! After I had finished canning last fall, I had two bulbs of garlic left from Albertsons, just your run-of-the-mill softneck garlic. I broke 'em down into cloves and actually planted them in frozen ground. When I tried to break the clods down with my bare hands, it hurt like nobody's business, so some of them were simply shoved down between clumps of frozen dirt.

We hit a two-week warm spell in November, maybe warm enough to help them set roots, but I'm not certain. This spring they were the first plants up, the only sign of green in the whole neighborhood. I got enough garlic from those two bulbs to do my canning this fall and, if I choose, plant some cloves again. They took very little space, and I bet a person would never have to buy garlic again if this was done each year. They really last a long time in the fridge. Pretty nifty!

philm00x

I had already planted some garlic as well, actually even earlier than this. I wasn't aware of the timeframe that garlic should be planted. on the plus side, the stalks have grown really well and are a vibrant green. the only thing I don't know is how long it takes for it to mature and when it's ready to pick.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

You probably won't get much of a crop this fall, but you'll likely get something in the spring! You should dig them up and seperate them, then replant. What do you have to lose? It's worth a try.

philm00x

I only planted 5 cloves in a pot. 4 of them sprouted. should I still try and just take them out and replant them?

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Yeah.

I wonder if you stuck em in the fridge till it gets cold out side :idea: then take em back out and plant them in November...

Any thoughts on that?

soil
Greener Thumb

and I bet a person would never have to buy garlic again if this was done each year.
I haven't bought garlic to eat in years because I do this. the only time I do end up buying new garlic is to plant a new variety.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

soil wrote:
and I bet a person would never have to buy garlic again if this was done each year.
I haven't bought garlic to eat in years because I do this. the only time I do end up buying new garlic is to plant a new variety.
I think if I start growing garlic, I will have to plan things out so that the crop that's in the garlic spot will be one that will be done in time for me to put the garlic in. Perhaps a crop like onions or summer squash.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

garden5 wrote: I think if I start growing garlic, I will have to plan things out so that the crop that's in the garlic spot will be one that will be done in time for me to put the garlic in. Perhaps a crop like onions or summer squash.
They don't take up much room. I gave those two bulbs about 7 square feet, and they gave me about 3 dozen new bulbs. Some were pretty small, though.

That reminds me. I was going to ask which plants prefer to grow with garlic. Last year I put my garlic at the end of the bed I planned to put beans in the next year. Someone told me, later, that beans don't like garlic. (Or was it that garlic don't like beans?) What would be the best companion plant for garlic?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Stella,

I know that Allium and peas should not be grown together. Allium followed by peas is not good either. I think peas followed by alliums is ok.

I'll be planting a 3ft x 20ft bed of Music garlic. Planted 6" in all directions.

Eric

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Francis,

I did the same thing last year. I used Albertsons as my supplier. I didn't know what to do with the bulbs either, but I broke them into individual cloves and planted them before the end of August.

I harvested them in June of this year and this was my harvest.

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/IMG_2234.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/IMG_2246.jpg[/img]

I feel like I got a good harvest and it was totally by accident.

The onions I know a little more about. I would guess the variety you bought in a bundle will require separation from the bundle. Plant them two or three inches apart. If you simply want green onions, plant them more than 1/2" deep. If you want to leave them long enough to grow decent sized bulbs, plant them between 1/4" and 1/2" deep.

I planted a lot of onions about one month ago. I've never tried growing them in the fall but always have a good spring harvest. The onions I planted last month are almost ready to start harvesting as green onions or scallions. I will leave most to harvest later in the fall as bulb onions.

I will plant onions again in January for a spring/early summer harvest.

Ted

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Yeah I just seperated the cloves this morning. I noticed are few more have started to grow stalks.

btw, is it a good thing to plant garlic near marigolds?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Good question! I don't think it is harmful to plant either near each other. Is it helpful? I don't know. I've read some who recommend both garlic and marigolds as repellents for insects. I read a few posts which said to plant the marigolds away from your crops because they are really an attractant for insects and should be used to pull insects away from your garden. I really don't know which is correct. I didn't use anything with my garlic and didn't see anything bothering it in almost ten months.

One thing you might want to try while the garlic is growing through the winter, is clipping a few leaves, chopping them fine; and cooking with them. I tried it and got a good garlicky flavor in dishes from the leaves.

Ted

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Ted I heard the marigolds help keep away nematodes because their roots create an acid nematodes hate. Plus I've noticed other people with marigolds in their gardens as well.

As for the garlic, when would be a good time to plant the cloves? I'm also interested in planting onions as well. Keep in mind I'm in Orlando and we only get 2-5 freezes a year.....although last year was crazy cold.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

When to plant garlic is a hard question for me to answer. As I said, I planted in August. I simply didn't know any better. I should have planted later. For me, it didn't seem to matter. They still did well. We only get one light snow every two or three years on average. Last winter, we had a lot of freezes and seven snows. It didn't seem to effect my garlic in the ground at all. I planted onions in January and we had three or four more snows after the onions were planted. They did very well also. No rhyme or reason that I can see as for as the gardening rules are concerned.

Ted

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Thanks for the help Ted. :D

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Francis, you are very welcome for my limited help. Sometimes my "help" only creates more questions.

Ted

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a guide to growing veggies in FLA. Midway down the page, Table 3 is about planting dates for different veggies in North, Central or South FLA:

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vh021

It doesn't unfortunately mention garlic, but it does list onions, which are in the same family and says you could plant them anytime between now and December.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

One reason for the IFAS page not mentioning garlic is that it doesn't do all that well in Florida. Take your pick: it's heat or humidity. Yeah, I've done the same, growing grocery store garlic. Never had nice fat bulbs, but did get little ones. Finally decided to grow them mostly for the greens.

Now I just grow garlic chives instead and purchase my bulb garlic.

Tom MacCubbin is from Central Florida. He was the expert on everything you could grow in an edible garden in the lower two-thirds of the state. I'm pretty sure he advised to not grow garlic if you don't want to be disappointed, but I don't have his many books at hand or committed to memory. Yet.

There is a bulb forming garlic called Creole that is supposed to do better for us down here. Two guesses where that comes from. It will probably be a soft neck garlic, and probably a smaller head.

One reason for postponing planting garlic here until Nov-Jan is it is prone to rot in the fall here.

Still fun to grow.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, since we plant them to grow through the cold up north, your best bet down south would be to plant them to grow through the coolest time of the year, which would probably be, as someone else stated, around Nov.-Dec.

Maybe FL isn't the best place to grow garlic, but so what? You'll never know unless you try :wink:.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:Yeah.

I wonder if you stuck em in the fridge till it gets cold out side :idea: then take em back out and plant them in November...

Any thoughts on that?
Garlic in the fridge will think it is time to go and start sprouting after a month or so, can't remember the exact time frame. Been there done that with eating garlic. You can fridge them up before planting to prime them but not that long ahead I don't think. :wink:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Just don't ever store any in a ziplock bag and forget where you put them. I promise you will be looking for a dead body or something equally foul smelling before you find them.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote:Just don't ever store any in a ziplock bag and forget where you put them. I promise you will be looking for a dead body or something equally foul smelling before you find them.

Ted
Putting this in my notes. :shock: :wink:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I meant if you planted them too early, and they sprouted in the ground. Could you dig em up and put em in the fridge until cooler weather.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:I meant if you planted them too early, and they sprouted in the ground. Could you dig em up and put em in the fridge until cooler weather.
I see, not sure if that would be a good idea either. There would more than likely be root damage and that is not good. Just doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but hey what do I know. :roll: :P

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Lindsey,

Almost everything I know, I learned by accident. Try it. If it works, let us know. I'm always ready to learn something new.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”