garden5
Super Green Thumb

Burgers with tomatoes, onions, and peppers :o!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:
I also made up four more batches of pesto and froze it. Best year ever for basil.
Agreed! I used toasted walnuts or pecans in my pesto instead of pine nuts! How do you make yours?

Today I had a rough day in the OR, so I'm going for something easy...Some of the Spicy hot homemade dill pickles, some sliced colby/jack cheese (From Happy Cow Creamery), and some wheat crackers. The pickles have intensified in spiciness since the last jar I opened. They are super yummy! I can see how this chic won blue ribbons for this recipe :()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I use whatever is on hand, walnuts, pine nuts, almonds, or even part sunflower seeds if I don't have enough nuts. I usually use parmesan, but this last time I ran out of parmesan so made some batches with feta cheese and the last batch I ran out of that and didn't have any appropriate cheese in the house, so I made it with sour cream. THAT is definitely an experiment, but it seemed ok.

2 C tightly packed basil leaves, blended up (pureed) with 1/3 cup olive oil and 1/3 C water to make it process easier (I just have a little old blender not a food processor, if you have a food processor you could probably leave the water out). Add 1/2 C nuts, 1/2 C parmesan, 2 cloves of garlic minced, 1/4 tsp salt, and sometimes I add some green olives for extra zip. Puree again until it is a uniform mixture, pour into a ziplock baggie and freeze.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The only things that were from the garden tonight were the tomatoes and and peppers that we has with a bunch of other store-bought stuff. The harvest is starting to wind-down.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Made a Spicy sweet wing sauce out of the Jalapeno Pepper Jelly we made a few weeks ago. Just put it in a pan and melted it down with a few tablespoons of OJ. Added a few tablespoons of BBQ sauce, some butter, and some more heat (cholula hotsauce) and then tossed it with those cripy hot wings, right out of the fryer. It was INSANELY good.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Lindsey,

Your hot wings sound surprisingly good. I like your mix and match style of cooking. I add stuff as I cook and I don't always know what I will add next. My family has never complained, but my wife and daughter get irritated because I never write a recipe down. Sometimes, the daughter will follow me around the kitchen as I cook a dish and write down the ingredients. It's the only way she will get a recipe from me.

Ted

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Ted, my DH is the same way. The only things I use recipes for are with baking and canning. ( and sometimes I got way off course with them too. I usually end up with something amazing that I can't repeat.) I think you need to have a good understanding of flavors and techniques to cook without a book :() I spent years and years watching my grandmother ( in this house) cook every meal for us. I started duplicating her styles when I was about 11. When I wasn't watching cartoons( still a favorite of mine) I was watching Great Chefs of the World, Graham Kerr, Julia Child, and Emeril. I have always enjoyed cooking and baking this way.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes and onions.....OK, so they weren't everything I had for dinner, but they were the only things from the garden. With the fall coming, the harvests are starting to wind down. OH, wait, I did have tons of chives and basil in my spaghetti sauce :wink:.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Okra fried.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Had some butternut squash...MAN WAS THAT GOOD. Home grown winter squash just seems to be sweeter that what you buy at the store!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Funny you revived this post, I was going to myself.

I will be having just picked lettuce for salad and fresh picked green beans with a pork tenderloin tonight.

Yum Yum!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

My fall beans are just starting to flower, so none yet.

However, I did put some onions, peppers, and herbs from the garden into some spaghetti sauce....sure was good.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:My fall beans are just starting to flower, so none yet.

However, I did put some onions, peppers, and herbs from the garden into some spaghetti sauce....sure was good.
Yet again, I also put some peppers and onions in with the green beans.

I found 4 small, goose egg sized onions among the beans. I though I got them all up, obviously not.

Cerbiesmom

I grabbed some fennel from the garden to mix in with my herb salad today. I've never eaten fennel before, I was surprised at the smell of it when I tore it up to put in there. I hope to be able to have all my salad start coming from the garden soon. My little lettuce seedlings are starting to look like lettuce plants!

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Eggplant slowcooker stew and tomatoes for the salad-last tomatoes-there were some left green on the vines, but I decided to take all out and plant peas.

applestar
Mod

We had the Moon and Stars watermelon. It was only about 9" in diameter, but very sweet and yummy. :D I was SO afraid I didn't pick it at the right time, but DH and I both agreed that it "sounded" right when I thumped it before serving. I barely touched it with the knife and the thing split open with a crack. :o

:lol: I feel like I'm telling the Japanese folk tale "Momotaro -- Peach Boy" -- there's actually a less well-known story called "Urihime -- Melon Princess" 8) -- in any case, no baby popped out of this fruit :> :lol:

I had 1 1/8 piece, then walked away. When I came back, the rest had already nearly disappeared and the DD's were stuffing their mouths! :() They said DH DID have 1 small piece, which probably means 1/16 of the melon. :wink:

I still have 3 Early Sunbeam watermelons out there -- that I'd planted late as an experiment to follow the Irish potato harvest. I've covered them with row tunnels so they get some extra protection and warmth. Hopefully, they'll have time to fully ripen. 8)

I also served some Edamame for the kids, and then the green shelled California #5 Black-eyed peas/beans. DD8 kept asking for more -- "These are SOOO good!" :() :() There are no better words of encouragement. :wink:

Alfred

Picked the last of the winter crop cauliflower and silverbeet,now we are in spring time the works starts digging in the compost and lime etc.

bwhite829

I can't wait till my first harvest so I can get some cabbage rolls, and until then I guess I'll stick with sushi when I go king mackeral fishing this year and wrap them up in fresh collard leaves :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Swiss chard, kale and collards all from spring plantings. Should get a good new flush with the cooler weather.

Lettuce, radishes, spinach, pac choi, napa cabbage, broccoli and maybe beets, carrots before it gets to cold.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02768.jpg[/img]

Eric

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

A melon salad with Passport Galia melon and Edonis Charentais . . .

And, pole beans from seed planted in July . . .

Our sweet corn was finished yesterday so today, we bought 2 ears from an old fellow at the farmers' market :D .

Steve

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes, peppers, and onions.....all mixed up in spaghetti sauce.

Oh, and also ate some huge beets (almost the size of apples).

Still waiting on the fall beans, but did get 2 pea pods. It should be any day before the beans are ready.

bwhite829

not from MY garden, but from the grocery store produce section. I've never cooked turnips and collards before and since I just planted a bunch I wanted to get a good start and learn how to cook them. I made sushi with cauliflower rice and some mussels and carrots, and had some boiled collards, turnip greens, and purple cabbage w/ some beef liver and ground turkey mixed in. it wasn't bad, but wasn't good...very bland. I need to get a larger boiling pot for a huge batch of greens. I can't wait till my first harvest comes in soon so I can have fresh from the garden dinners :)

bwhite829

okay, my collards and cabbage need to get here. used the rest of my collards from yesterday. tried a new variation of the roll. 1 layer of collards(1 whole blanced leaf), some cauliflower "rice" on the middle with hummus on the edges for "glue" to hold the leaves together, 2nd leaf, some bean sprouts and chicken strips in the middle. more hummus on one edge to hold it together...wrap, fold one end, and voila, turned out more like a burrito than sushi, but good none the less :)

lorax
Greener Thumb

I had a hubbard squash stuffed with coconut rice, and stirfried beef with tomatoes, ripe plantain, peppers, and celery.

It was very tasty.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Tonight was the first of the Delicata squash and some boiled fingerling potatoes (Peanut), and roasted squash seeds for a midnight snack.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

So far, I've been getting a great beet harvest. Most of them are a great size, yet still very tender. The last crop of peppers are going to be left on the plants until before a frost so they can grow as much as possible.

The fall beans have flowered and are now producing beans. They are still very small, but I'll hopefully get some to eat since it looks like I have a good week until frost.

jennsim

Well today was the first of the button squash for tea and watercress with
lunch also during the week lettuce more watercress, mint, parsley,
kent pumpkin (last one only one quarter left, more vines growing),
rainbow chard (has been very nice), cannot forget all the tomatoes,
purple mustard leaves (never tried before-very good in salads), and
the last of the kale, (pictured top right corner image taken in August
when plant looked its best....before I started picking it :wink: never
tried before either, am getting seeds for more yummy goodness).
All other images taken this past week.
[img]https://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g333/jennsim/EarlyOctveg2010.jpg[/img]
jenn

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Had a whole mess of onions....sliced and deep-fried. YUM :).

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Grilled pork tenderloin with homemade peach chutney on it, and sauted sugar snap peas that we froze from spring. It was wonderful!

mansgirl

I made a pizza casserole and used green/yellow peppers and tomatoes from the garden.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Roast Duck, Blue Hooker's corn and a mixed salad.

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Fresh garden salad with fresh tomatoes. it is the mIddle of Oct in Mo and yes I still am getting tomatoes. Yippee!

bradhurl1
Newly Registered

I have had the benefit of some scrumptious cauliflower and possibly spoilt it with a white sauce - heavenly stuff.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No one has posted in this thread lately... aren't we still eating from our gardens?

Yesterday I picked what had to be close to a bushel of swiss chard and made two huge pans of swiss chard lasagna, one to eat and one to freeze.

It also had parsley and basil fresh from the garden in the recipe.

I cut down my basil plants awhile back and brought all the basil in and they grew back from the roots, so I still have fresh basil!

applestar
Mod

I had the yummiest lamb curry last night :D I obsessed with curry from scratch recipes a while back but hadn't made any in a while, but I remembered the basics and at least some if not all of the spices. Only ingredients from my garden were potatoes, garlic, Ginger, lemongrass, celery, carrot tops, Pineapple sage leaves and flowers, fresh tomatoes, Jalapeno peppers, and Aji Dulce spice peppers. Most IMPORTANT ingredient was tomato paste I made and canned last year from all Sugar Plum grape tomatoes. :wink:

Not from the garden, but I also used Triple Sec soaked orange marmalade I made and canned last year as well. It made for a very interesting taste experience to come across the intense flavor of the orange peel on rare occasions. :D
Last edited by applestar on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow, carrot tops... Never even thought about eating them, though it makes perfect sense. It's in the same family as parsley and dill and we eat the leaves of those. What a great idea! Too bad I dug all my carrots already, but I will remember next year.

That's quite a few ingredients from your November garden!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've looked at carrot tops before and must say I've wondered whether or not they are edible. It looks like they are.

I've eaten the last onion and have still been getting beans and beets. There are also more peppers still on the plants.

csvd87

I had a tasty omelet with red pepper, jalapeno and cherry tomatoes :) good breakfast!

applestar
Mod

LOVE carrot tops :D I end up feeding most of them to some Black Swallowtails we raise indoors for fun during our Monarch Butterfly Project every year, and before that, gave them to the gerbils, but the cats and we humans also get some during the height of carrot harvest. Plus even when the carrots themselves don't do well due to wireworm damage or other pests, the tops seem to remain nice and lush for fall harvest.

Today's lunch -- going iffy fully ripe tomatoes already in the house and fridge to make room for all the GREEN toms harvested just ahead of the freeze. Even after iffy parts were aggressively cut out, ended up as a pot of pasta sauce that reasonably would've served two, but I ate it all by myself :() Additions were garlic, fully red Anaheim pepper, carrot tops, Stevia leaves AND stems, Pineapple Sage leaves, flowers, and stems. A good handful of previously frozen multi colored beans (purple, green, and yellow). Tomato and pepper skins, seeds, and herb stems were strained out with a food mill. Yummy! :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

aloo matar (curried potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas, green peas) made with potatoes from the local CSA farm and the LAST of my picked green and ripened indoors tomatoes. :(

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”