Yapooza
Newly Registered

Pepper plants fruit connecting stem eaten away, holes leaves

Hey there, I'm new here and already looking to tax your brains on my pepper plants, for a long while now they have had holes in the leaves, the tops of the stems are being eaten away by some unseen evil and many of the fruit are just shrivilling up because of this.
I'm thinking its a disease because I cant seem to find any little critters but I don't know for sure.
Does anyone know what this could be? The ones I moved out of the green house are much worse.

Here are some pics to diagnose :)

[img]https://www.andyorbit.com/gardenpics/peppers1.JPG[/img]

[img]https://www.andyorbit.com/gardenpics/peppers2.JPG[/img]

[img]https://www.andyorbit.com/gardenpics/peppers3.JPG[/img]

I also think my tomatos have blight but ill post that separately.

Thank you in advance for all your help
Andy :D[/url]

lorax
Greener Thumb

Last time I saw that on my peppers, it was these evil nasty little green worms, similar to inchworms but much viler. I started spraying with castille soap in water, and they went away.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Another thought: Since most critters eat pepper leaves only when nothing tastier is around, perhaps you could find some potted brassicas to set around them as a trap crop.

My neighbor had a plant, I think she said it was Chinese broccoli, that the little green worms found especially tasty. Rather than pull it out when she could see the damage had exceeded the plant's ability to recover, she left it. The other plants around it, even kale and regular broccoli, were left pretty much unscathed for the rest of the summer. The Chinese broccoli (I think that's what it was called), however, was stripped down to nothing more than leaf skeletons by mid-August.

Brassicas growers, I know the name of the plant started with "Chinese" and that it was a brassicas, but I can't say for certain what the second word was. Does "broccoli" sound right? Whatever it was, the worms were crazy for it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I can't see the middle picture, get an error message. Not so sure about the first one, but the last one looks pretty clearly like slug damage to me. Slugs love my green peppers too.

You will never see the slugs in the daytime, but if you go out late at night with a flashlight and look at undersides of leaves, you should be able to find them, if that is what it is.

If it is, diatomaceous earth works well against them or type slug control into the search the forum feature and find tons of stuff written here about them.

Yapooza
Newly Registered

Lorax, perhaps your right, I hope so because soapy water is an easy measure to take. I will spray it on today! Thank you for the quick response.

Stella, I actually used to do that with tomato plants since spider mites went for those in a big way. I will definitely look into getting a sacrificial Chinese broccoli next time. I feel sorry for it already. Cheers for the tip.

Rainbow gardener. I have fixed the broken images. The one in the middle actually the one I think is uniquely best at representing the problem. I will be unable to check on them tonight as I'm going away for a few days but I I shall do so on the first opportunity I get. Thank you too for your advise. :)

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I asked my neigbor yesterday which plant the little green worms found such a delicacy. She said it was Chinese cabbage. Sorry about the misinformation.

My neighbor loves brassicas, growing at least four 12' rows of them this past summer. Her garden is one big trap crop for me. I had very few holes in any of my leaves this summer 8)

Return to “Pepper Forum”