krzyk4
Cool Member

Look at the size of this Zucchini !!

My landlady has a patch of garden here and she has some zucchini back there that she shares with me .. I grab one here and there but for the most part I don't go back there, but since she was away for so long, I thought I would check up on her stuff I couldn't believe my eyes :shock: :shock:

I don't think it will taste good that big, but she's gonna do something with it ..I like em a wee bit smaller :wink:

It was 18 inches long and 13 inches around at the biggest part. This is my 10 yr old daughter holding it.

[img]https://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/krzyk4/photo7.jpg[/img]

Hispoptart

As long as you get the seeds out it will probably be just great. I have some giant ones too.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I agree with Hispoptart.

krzyk4
Cool Member

huh :? good to know :D thanks!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yep, I eat all mine, regardless of size, as well. I've found that if you steam them, they soften right up.

supagirl277

Nice! I have one that is as big as from my thigh to my knee, and prbly just as fat! :D Actually a couple! I always tend to accidentally let some grow too big :P It's awesome.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I used the ones that looked like that to make Wicked Hot Zucchini pickles!!! YUMMY

I wish I had made some dills with them too.

krzyk4
Cool Member

zucchini pickles? sounds intriguing :lol:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I cut them into spears to fit the jars. Crunchier than cukes, especially when that big! But I cut the seeds out and keep the skins on. Flavorwise they taste like..........well, they taste like pickles :() there is a post in the recipe forum at the bottom of the main page that contains lots of preserving recipes.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:I cut them into spears to fit the jars. Crunchier than cukes, especially when that big! But I cut the seeds out and keep the skins on. Flavorwise they taste like..........well, they taste like pickles :() there is a post in the recipe forum at the bottom of the main page that contains lots of preserving recipes.
So, you just stick them in a jar of pickle juice from store-bought pickles? I never though about doing that with a zuc!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27356[/url]

There are several recipes that are suitable for zucchini in this topic. The dill pickle recipe can have pretty much any vegetable substituted for cucumbers. There is also a zucchini relish recipe and a wickles recipe( wicked hot pickles) it can also be made with any vegetable.

You could do it that way, but you'll get a much different product. Any of these recipes can also be halved or quartered and then kept in the fridge for short term use if you're not comfortable with canning. (but give it a try! It's super fun and easy! Especially this kind of canning :() )

garden5
Super Green Thumb

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27356[/url]

There are several recipes that are suitable for zucchini in this topic. The dill pickle recipe can have pretty much any vegetable substituted for cucumbers. There is also a zucchini relish recipe and a wickles recipe( wicked hot pickles) it can also be made with any vegetable.

You could do it that way, but you'll get a much different product. Any of these recipes can also be halved or quartered and then kept in the fridge for short term use if you're not comfortable with canning. (but give it a try! It's super fun and easy! Especially this kind of canning :() )
I've been doing a lot of reading on caning, lately, and I must admit that it's a lot less intimidating than it actually looks. Also, the USDA guidelines that we now go by, allow for 0% spoilage. They actually do tests with the varieties of fruits and vegetables and use a thermometer to determine what processing time kills the potentially harmful bacteria. To add to that, when they find a time, they always use a slightly longer time as their stated recommendation.

I think if I ever have a huge garden where I will have more harvest than I can eat, I'll definitely give canning a try. For now, the jars of pickle juice are as close as I'm going to come.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Haha! Agreed! But it's easy to make your own " pickle juice" you just put all the herbs and spices in the bottom of the jar, pack your cukes in on top and pour the hot brine on top. Then just stick it in the fridge same as you would your store bought pickle brine! SOOOOO much tastier. Just make sure you bring the brine up to a boil so that it gets well absorbed in the cukes. Let em sit for a few days in the fridge and then enjoy! I especially like to eat the carrots, jalapenos and the garlic left over in the bottom( in the dill pickle recipe) Mmmmmmmmm :9

greenstubbs

Make zuch burgers with them. Just slice thick and slap some pepper on them and grill them quick on a hot fire, add cheese at the end, yummy.
If you cook them to long they become mushburgers.

kgall

Chicken fried zucchini!

lorax
Greener Thumb

You can also go the other way, and make cakes from it.....

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28192

garden5
Super Green Thumb

LA, So I'd put spices in the bottom of a jar, put in the sliced (insert vegetable noun here) and pour in boiling salt water? Man, I'll have to give that a try. At least there will be no preservatives in it :).

Oh, and you can also grate it and make zucchini bread.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Yep, you got it!!! 8.5 cups water, 2.5 cups vinegar, .5 cup kosher salt. That's the brine recipe. It can be halved or quartered! Pickles need to sit in the fridge for at least a week before you eat them. Same thing if you can them, just not in the fridge. It's important that the brine be boiling when you pour it over the veggies. I made okra, cucumber, and carrot pickles today and I picture documented the whole story. Gonna post a topic later tonight on the recipe forum. Step by step pickles. :()

Hispoptart

I like to make and can sweet pickles out of them, I will have to try the dill. My kids love dill pickles.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:Yep, you got it!!! 8.5 cups water, 2.5 cups vinegar, .5 cup kosher salt. That's the brine recipe. It can be halved or quartered! Pickles need to sit in the fridge for at least a week before you eat them. Same thing if you can them, just not in the fridge. It's important that the brine be boiling when you pour it over the veggies. I made okra, cucumber, and carrot pickles today and I picture documented the whole story. Gonna post a topic later tonight on the recipe forum. Step by step pickles. :()
That sound great!

Back to zucchini, you could also make [url=https://allrecipes.com/recipe/stuffed-zucchini/]stuffed zucchini[/url].

Is it just me, or does it look like this thread is destined to be moved to the recipe section :lol:.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”