gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Monster Red Hmong's though they are not ripening???

I have some Red Hmongs that are absolute monsters. Though they won't ripen. They should be and orange to red color when ripe but these have been white for several weeks. Like maybe a month some of them. Thye are huge but I don't know what to do with them. Should I pick them and compost them, try to eat them, let the go and hope they eventually turn.

I thought maybe if I picked them all I would get new ones that will ripen. The weather has been horrid and finally getting better which I assume is why they are not ripe.

Any ideas?

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC04084.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC04083.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC04082.jpg[/img]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Well anyone??

I know D_V had these last year. I am about ready to harvest all that are on there for the compost.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Never heard of it.... It's a squash, right? You are growing some interesting stuff, gixx. So it's supposed to turn red?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Actually, they are a [url=https://www.heirloomtoms.org/store/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=os_007]cucumbers[/url].

I can't find much info on growing them, so I'd say to leave them on the vines as long as you can. Take the one that you picked and put it in a paper bag. You are bound to get a ripe one by trying both methods. Anyway, what have you got to lose!

applestar
Mod

You've that many, I'd definitely pick one, see what it looks like inside, and try eating it. 8)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:You've that many, I'd definitely pick one, see what it looks like inside, and try eating it. 8)
Yeah, maybe something went wrong and seeds are red on the inside :P :lol:.

Perhaps you are the victim of a seed mix-up and you got a variety that doesn't' turn red (thinking out loud, here; not really sure is such a variety exists) :?.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks all I did pick one it's not turning. But now the plant is dying I need to go out and trim it up and hope for the best. I will try them again next year though.

I also bought some Lowe's cucumbers and they are the same way, hurting and in a bad way. Last year I planted the same cukes from lowes and I couldn't stop them no matter what I did. This year not so much. :(

applestar
Mod

My cukes are on their way out, too. It might have been the temp drop into the low 50,s that did them in... or it's the stinkbugs sucking the life out of them. I've left one or two fruits on each variety to mature for seed. I hope I timed it correctly and they'll get the chance to grow next year's seeds. Lemon cukes, which I planted last are still halfway decent, which speaks volumes for succession planting cukes.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I was reading last night and it dawned on me I might have something like cucumber mosaic or something.

Cuc Mosaic: Vines are stunted, new leaves are dwarfed, mottled, distorted and may wilt and die. Fruit distorts and yellows early.

The plants were doing great themselves but fruit production has been horrible. It was good in the beginning but quickly dropped off. I still got big cukes on both plants but not much worth harvesting. But just recently, like maybe a week or so now. They have really gone downhill and fast. I might try to trim off the bad spots and fruit and see if the come back. If they don't It is probably disease. The cuc beetles are all over them and they can spread disease.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:I was reading last night and it dawned on me I might have something like cucumber mosaic or something.

Cuc Mosaic: Vines are stunted, new leaves are dwarfed, mottled, distorted and may wilt and die. Fruit distorts and yellows early.

The plants were doing great themselves but fruit production has been horrible. It was good in the beginning but quickly dropped off. I still got big cukes on both plants but not much worth harvesting. But just recently, like maybe a week or so now. They have really gone downhill and fast. I might try to trim off the bad spots and fruit and see if the come back. If they don't It is probably disease. The cuc beetles are all over them and they can spread disease.
I go that last year on a plant and I got it this year on one as well. What's funny is that both of these plants were peppers :?. I don't get it on the cucumbers, just the peppers for some reason. Strange.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

G5 now that makes me wonder I have peppers right next to my Cukes but they are doing fine, albeit small but healthy. :?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, the pepper that got it this year was about 10 ft. from the cukes, but the one that got it last year was right next to the patch. What's more, the whole pepper row ran parallel to the cucumbers last year, yet only the one got what I believed to be the mosaic.

Have I successfully made you more confused :lol:.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Well, the pepper that got it this year was about 10 ft. from the cukes, but the one that got it last year was right next to the patch. What's more, the whole pepper row ran parallel to the cucumbers last year, yet only the one got what I believed to be the mosaic.

Have I successfully made you more confused :lol:.
Yeah right like you could make me any more confused.

Now what were we talking about again? :lol: nutz:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You're right: back on topic. Have any of your hmongs started to show any signs of ripening? Have you tasted one of the unripe ones?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

G5 no they haven't and no I haven't. I actually just got done pulling all of them off. There are some really HUGE ones on there. I see new ones coming on so I want to see what will happen with them. The plants aren't doing well though. I was also pulling off dead foliage. But there are a bunch of squash bugs and cuke beetles on them still. So we will see how it goes. I have never seem cukes do this bad.

I am going to have to try one of these tonight already thought about that. I can't waste them without trying them. Some of them make a baseball bat look like a toothpick. :P :o

I will at least leave them for a while cause I see the bees are still interested.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'm curious now. Since, from what you have said and the pics I have seen, these guys are monsters!

It's common knowledge that when cukes get big, the quality goes down (lots of seeds, possibly a bitter taste), but since all of these seem to be large, I'm wondering if they may be a variety of cucumber that still tastes good when big.....my kind of cucumber :).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”