warcraft
Newly Registered

Fungicides

Hello I am addicted to morning glorys and have been growing them a for a few years.

The ones I have grownig now are looking a bit rough so I assume its fungus or disease of some sort.

I bought some gardentech daconil ready to use fungicide in a trigger spray bottle at lowes.

I'm not sure how to apply it to such a large vine. I squirted the *beep* out of it and was wondering if that will suffice?

Thanks in advance...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just so you should be aware, here is the Materials Safety Data Sheet for daconil, chlorothalonil

[url=https://www.gardentech.com/pdf/msds&labels/Daconil%20Labels%20&%20MSDS/Daconil%20Concentrate%20MSDS%2067572-82%20Sept09.pdf]MSDS[/url]

Be very careful how you use and store it. It has been banned by the EPA for residential lawn usage. https://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort/landscape/STGOjune99.html#chlorothalonil

Morning glory is very hardy and in fact aggressive. Most people find it tending to take over their yards. It is an annual so is going to die at the end of the season and is cheap and easy to replant if for some reason it doesn't re-seed itself. It seems like over kill to do a massive spraying of poison to treat something that you aren't even sure what it is on a plant that is nearing the end of its life cycle anyway.

The chlorothalonil is a broad spectrum fungicide, but is not effective against any non-fungal conditions.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

This is a pretty interesting look at the EPA's descision to list Chlorothalonil as a probable carcinogen (Group B2).

https://pesticides.montana.edu/PcideProfiles/carcinogens.htm

"EPA’s classification of chloro-thalonil as a B2 carcinogen appears to be based on evidence from the two-year rat and mice feeding studies. It does not seem to matter that the incidence of tumors is incredibly low given the high dose rates. It does not seem to matter that the low doses even in the two-year studies were negative. It does not matter that the 90-day low dose feeding studies showed no toxic or cellular effects at doses of 1.5 mg/kg/day, a dose still a million times greater than the estimated human dietary intake. EPA’s decision, however, does demonstrate one final assumption the agency makes about pesticides: negative epidemiologic or animal results cannot prove safety."

Note that even though they have banned its use on residential lawns its still OK to use on your tomatoes up until the day before harvest.

Some perspective

https://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/papers/vethumtoxicology31(6)p589y1989.html

[url=https://www.heartland.org/policybot/results/10645/Naturally_Occurring_Mutagens_and_Carcinogens_Found_in_Foods_and_Beverages.html]HeartLand.org[/url]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Regardless of the validity (and I have *not* examined these studies) of the EPA decision, it does seem strange to spray for potential fungus/fungi attack when such has/have not been clearly identified.

Any defensive device, whether "organic" or "toxic" or "other," is best wielded toward the appropriate attacking agent.

For example: aphids <== jets of water, soap spray. A fungus deterrent wouldn't do any good.

I'm just about ready to plant morning glories on my south property boundary, all 6 feet or so of it, and let the morning glories and lavender (my side) sprawl where they may over my neighbor's Bermuda grass, Yellow Star Thistle, and other burr-, spike-, and sticker-bearing invasives. She has an illegal duplex and rents out the front while living in the back. The previous tenants used a weed whacker to drive Bermuda grass, Yellow Star Thistle, etc. onto my weed- and thistle-free soil. The new one uses a POWER MOWER to do the same. :x

So...it may just be morning glory time. It's been 13 years. Granted, for 10 of those years I was unable to garden, but I've always removed the YST and burr plants due to the danger they pose to dogs and cats (previous cats were indoor/outdoor; current cats are indoor only).

You can send those morning glory seeds this way if you don't want them. :twisted:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

alexdestin
Newly Registered

Children can always find something that should be a mile away from his reach. Fungicides are chemicals primarily used for the treatment of fungi and plants that we grow in our gardens.

anggoro
Newly Registered

I got tips from farmer community and it works. They use ginger to get rid bugs/fungus. Ginger is cheap in my country so it doesn't matter to me. Also, I've tried some 'bitter leaves' which used for medication and it does good too.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”