What do you think of Bartering?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:18 am

It's wrong, your taking advantage of people
No votes
It's cool your helping other's and other's are helping you!
100%

Total votes: 5
mrsgreenthumbs

Bartering for a garden with freedom

So were renter's and while it's nice knowing if anything goes wrong with the house it's the landlords responsibility to do the repairs we happen to be VERY interested in sustainable living and gardening on a big scale. The more food we get from our tiny garden the more we love our hobby. Recently I ran across an article about a man that traded a red paper clip and over the course of 2 years he continued to trade over and over until he had traded up to a house! At first I though eh, must be a fluke but then last night the DH and myself were watching the evening news when we see a teen boy in southern California that had done the same and traded up to a porch.

The idea was easy enough to grasp, in this economy people are looking for items they need and have items they no longer want or use. So this morning I put up a pair of brand new never been used vintage inspired glasses. Either this will be a fun experiment that will be at best a great story or ...who knows... we may wind up with something that could REALLY help us out! Our goal is to own our own home where we can have the freedom to do as we wish with the property. What do you think of this?

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I think it's a GREAT idea, and think you will have some interesting stories to tell! Sounds like fun actually, maybe a few of us should try it and report back periodically? Have fun with that! :)

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Hmm, is the poll closed? I see no place to vote, just the results.

Tough to answer without getting political or legalistic, let's just say, folks bartered before they had any monetary system.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Ozark Lady, Yes they did, but It would be FUN to try to do it with just some small thing and see where we get???? People have gotten so far away from bartering with the "PLASTIC CARDS" :wink: Some people never even knew it existed, the Younger generation I mean mostly. Maybe instead of that Garage sale I hope to have in Sept. I should call it a let's Barter Get together?? Yes bartering has been around for a long time, it is interesting to see it coming back though.

mrsgreenthumbs

Well we started our bartering journy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK-YiX4W6QU

My first trade was a pair of Retro inspired glasses (think cat eye) for a james dean picture bio book. I'll be posting the book and a serius satellite home and vehicle kit's up as well very soon. The first trade was super fun and feels more like a hobby rather than a goal Iv set for us. Thaks for the feedback and I'll be posting more videos on that channel when we get another trade. Wish us luck! oh and I think it's a great idea to do a Swap meet style thing. People could bring something they don't want and trade either with one another or with you. Sounds like a ton of fun! And if you have any kiddos they could set up a lemonade stand. That way they can get a great lesson in money management and business. lol Look at me getting ideas now lol.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I went to a seed swap. It was fun, and no money involved, and you came away with new seeds to try!

It would have been better with a larger turn out, but it was still interesting.

mrsgreenthumbs

Yah I wouldn't even know where to begin to get word of mouth around to get a decent number of people to cooperate. but sounds like something earth friendly and thrifty. Could be worth trying. It might be a good idea to start like a yahoo group (free) get member's and once a month or twice a year every body participates. They could each have a booth where they could set up their wares... ehh lol it sounds like a lot of work though.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Just to keep some perspective: the "Red Paper Clip" guy's house is in the isolated rural area of Saskatchewan. Still not a bad deal, though. He's gotta have a bigger lot than I do, for example. But he may need to put in sewage, for all I know.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

mrsgreenthumbs

Personally Iv had it up to here (marking a line about 2 feet above my head) with neighbors that live practically in my lap, people flying down our street where my step son play's, car alarms going off in the middle of the night, the palaterio man ringing that damn bell all the time. Ect. I'm done with the city and completely ready for some rural freedom and space. Even if the best we can hope for is an empty lot, it's land and it would be ours... Even if only for camping and dreaming about our retirement... lol it's a dream and a goal and a mark were aiming for. I'm ready to have something/somewhere to call my own.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”