jstr12

Not Growing

So my striped german only has 2 tomatoes, one I'd say is full size the other is just 2cm long/width. Full sized one is the one I'm having a problem because it stopped growing for a while now (I can't remember how long so don't ask :oops:) it's still green. It gets at the very least 8 hours of sun. I'd like to keep it it on the plant until it turns red because I'm going to use the seeds to plant, but if I have to take it off the plant I will.
Thanks!
jstr :D

femlow

Reduce your nitrogen, as it causes fruit immaturity and can prevent flowers and fruits from forming, and increase your potassium and phosphorus, especially phosphorus, as these help ensure lots of healthy flowers and in turn healthy fruit/seed developement.

fem

jstr12

I have ashes but what can I do so it doesn't burn the roots?
Or can is it possible? Thanks!
jstr :D

femlow

Honestly, it can be rather difficult to increase phosphorus and potassium through the use of natural products while you are growing your plants. It may be best, if you are not doing to already, to try a synthetic fertilizer that is made either for vegetables or even for flowers. The important think to look at is the three number strand that it will have on it. The order is Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium (N-P-K for short). You can often find one that is something like 4-12-4 or the like. The most important one is the middle number for flower and fruit developement. Potassium is far less important, but will greatly help reduce the risk of disease, and if you live in an exceptionally hot area, can help the plant tollerate the heat better (it also helps with cold weather tollerance, but thats rarely an issue for the average veggie garden).

Then, this winter, use your ashes to raise the P and K naturally so that you may not need (or atleast will need fewer) soil amendments for next summer's garden.

fem

jstr12

It's a good plan but I'd rather lose a few tomatos than use a synthatic fertilizer. You still answerd my question though. :D Thanks!

jstr :)

femlow

No problem. I was thinking about it some more, and I think you could use bone meal right now. I don't think it should burn your plants, though you might want to get a second opinion on that, since I've never used it (I'm a veg, so it doesn't fly in my garden).

fem

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”