Dany_mex
Cool Member

Plants turning yellow?

Hi,

Well some of my plants have been turning yellow I don't know if it is because they are lacking nutriens, I heard it can be from overwatering, underwatering or lack of nitrogen.

I just have some pics of the tomato seedlings but also some lettuce has been turning yellow like this tomato ones.

I touch the soil with my finger and it feels good, not to watery and not dry, so I just water when I feel that the soil is a little dry, which made me think some nutrients are missing.

Also I transplanted some cayenne peppers about a week ago but some of them just died and there are like 4 of them that survived but their leaves look a little weak, what do you think it's happening, by the way I have some basil in te same pot and basil is doing great.

Here is a pic of the pepper seedlings.

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00673-20100822-1742.jpg[/img]

And here are the tomato plants that are turning yellow.

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00678-20100822-1744.jpg[/img]

Cheers.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, those first, rounded leaves you see are the cotyledons, or seed-leaves. These nourish the young plants during the very early stages of growth. Once these are gone, the plants will get the nutrients on their own, through their root system.

Since they are still attached, I don't think it's likely that there are a lack of nutrients, it could be that your soil is water-logged. Try letting it dry out better in-between waterings.

Also, if you ever have a seedling die and look like it was "pinched off" at the base, that called "damping-off," which is due to a fungus attacking the stem of the seedling.

Have you been adding any fertilizer?

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Yes I added fertilizer when I transplanted them which I think that was the mistake, maybe the fertilizer burned them. And the pepper seedlings I think they look pinched because of handling them when I transplanted them.

But do you think it has a solution or they will die anyways. I tell you the tomato plants look a lot worse the first leaves look really weak but the other two that grew later the look fine.

By the way the tomato ones don't have any fertilizer, they're in pure soil.

Cheers.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Dany_mex wrote: they're in pure soil.

Cheers.
Ahh, this may be the issue. Are you saying they're in potting soil (I.e. from a bag) or is it just dirt? If it's dirt, you probably have drainage issues, since dirt really isn't desirable for container growing.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

No, I have them on potting soil, I buy bags of soil in a garden center the soil comes with some tree like shavings.

Cheers.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Well since you told me about the soil I couldn't stop thinking if the soil I buy is actually the one that is causing the problem so I went to a different store and I bought a new potting soil, It feels and looks soooo much better thatn the other, actually the other felt really moist even without watering it so maybe that was the problem for example with my cherry tomatoes and the peppers.

So this is how the new potting soil looks.

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00699-20100825-0013.jpg[/img]
This is the new soil I bought.

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00677-20100822-1744.jpg[/img]
And the previous soil which you can see it looks more like mud.

I transplanted the little tomato seedling in the tiny pot that you see until it rehabilitates.

What do you think?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

That looks better.

Go easy on the watering, give it some time, and see what happens :).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”