Dany_mex
Cool Member

This is how it looks. Peppers and Basil

Hi,

Well I ended up transplanting peppers and basil, I added around 18 pounds of soil and I tell you the pot that I bought was enormous I didn't think it was that deep and large, and I added some fertilizer on the top.

The plants look a little tired from the transplant but I think I did well and tomorrow with the sun they will look better.

This is how they look.

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00646-20100816-1855.jpg[/img]

Cheers.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Nice, that will probably work well for you. If the basil starts to get too big remember to trim that bad boy up. Though even that might lead to problems cause the more trimming you do the more bushy it gets. But I'm sure you will not have a problem

Good luck

Dono

p.s. be careful with the fertilizer those are still very young plants and you may urn the plant. What kind of soil did you put in there. If it was potting soil it may already have fertilizer in it.

Than again on the other hand when growing in pots you should keep up with the fertilizing more than you would something in the ground since it will wash out much faster. Just be careful when they are so young. :D

Don't forget to check out the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21]Container gardening section[/url].
Last edited by gixxerific on Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

You don't know how glad I am from reading you comment, I'm really putting a lot of effort to the plants and veggies and I hope this goes well.

Cheers.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Do you plant on growing them in this pot? If so, you'll probably want to thin the peppers to 2 or 3 to the pot. I've read where the yield with peppers really decreases when you crowd them.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Yes, actually some of them just like died because they are laying flat on the soil so right now I have about 4 plants of peppers.

Cheers.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Dany_mex wrote:Yes, actually some of them just like died because they are laying flat on the soil so right now I have about 4 plants of peppers.

Cheers.
Sounds good, the spacing, that is. It stinks that your plants died. What probably happened with them is what's called "damping off." This is a fungus that commonly attacks seedlings, causing them to rot at the stem. It will look like the base of the stem has been pinched-off or has shriveled up. It's more common in a damp environment.

Good luck with your garden.

fannyfarmer

Remove any dead seedlings at once! Damp-off spreads with each watering. For best results....always water from the bottom if possible.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

I think they looked pinched of because of handling them while I transplanted them but do you think there's something I can do or they're done.

Cheers.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Before you go calling it damping off. Were your plans seemingly pinched right at the soil line. Or were they still connected to the roots? If they looked pinched of that is damping off. Otherwise they just probably didn't make from some other reason.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

No no, they were like you said connected to the roots, I don't know I'm starting to feel like maybe I shouldn't plant anything, the only things that are going fine, are my herbs, dill, basil, thyme, rosemary and oregano.....that's why I decided to take chance with veggies...ooh my zucchini's are also going excellent.

Maybe you can give me some advice like really newbie stuff advices for me to try it one more time, with the peppers and maybe some tomato advice too.

Cheers.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

I was thinking right now and I was wondering...Here un Mexico fall is coming in like a month so maybe the season is also affecting the plants but...here the temperatures in these seasons aren't that cold, for example right now we are at 75 or even warmer temperatures during the day, but I was wondering if the season is just a factor.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Dany_mex wrote:I was thinking right now and I was wondering...Here un Mexico fall is coming in like a month so maybe the season is also affecting the plants but...here the temperatures in these seasons aren't that cold, for example right now we are at 75 or even warmer temperatures during the day, but I was wondering if the season is just a factor.
The temps should be OK, it's the weakening sunlight that accompanies the change of seasons that would create problems. However, being in Mexico, you may be fine. I'm up north, but down south people grow in the winter months.

If the light becomes really weak, you can add supplemental lighting (do a forum search for "seed starting lights" :) ).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”