Rosefan
Newly Registered

Color Designing for Roses

I am about to plant 30 roses of various colors in one location so color placement is important to me. I am not fond of mixing all different colors in one bedding area. The colors I have are white, light pink, med pink, dark pink, mauve, and lots of reds.
What would look good in a mass planting of these colors? The bedding area is long about 6 ft wide and 50 ft long. How should I arrange the colors.

I am thinking that I should start with whites to light pinks, then med pink to the darker colors, but concerned that this arrangement might be too boring or ordinary. Other choice I have would be too mix these colors up, though considering the sizes of the roses themselves will determine placement. Appreciate your thoughts on this. :P :P

applestar
Mod

I think whites and lt. pinks should be interspersed among darker shades to accentuate them more. Contrast in colors make them pop more.

if you have reds in the orange shade they won't fit in as well in your proposed gradation scheme. They go well with the orange/yellow, coral, and peach tones.

You *could* also have pure Red and White rose garden as per Alice in Wonderland, though that may be too overdone....

Rosefan
Newly Registered

Thank you for your thoughts on the color design. I like your idea of interspersing the darker pinks with the lighter ones. I pretty much are in that blue color range - no yellows, orange, etc. They are however, somewhere else in the garden. The OGR's are in a separate area to highlight them in the garden. :arrow: :-()

lorax
Greener Thumb

I'd be tempted to plant them in gradient, from the palest to the darkest, then braid the canes together to form a sort of "wall o' roses" effect. This way, your colours are blended together in a pleasing way, and in the winter you've got a semi-topiary effect that adds visual interest to the planting.

Rosefan
Newly Registered

lorax wrote:I'd be tempted to plant them in gradient, from the palest to the darkest, then braid the canes together to form a sort of "wall o' roses" effect. This way, your colours are blended together in a pleasing way, and in the winter you've got a semi-topiary effect that adds visual interest to the planting.
Interesting idea. Might try that on a couple of them. Rosefan.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

You could also see how others do it and emulate their patterns. Here is a link with a nice video:

https://thecliparchive.com/Videos/Ringling_Rose_Garden.html

professorroush

I think I'm going to put in a plug for planting what you have pretty much at random. Those colors you mentioned will all blend and the lighter ones, as someone said, will pop against the darker ones. It isn't like you're mixing in oranges and apricots that'll glare against the whites and reds. Just don't go out and buy a Tropicana to add in there :)

Return to “Rose Forum”