Dany_mex
Cool Member

Big enough for 3?

Hi,

Well today I bought a pretty big pot and I was wondering if I can put 3 things inside or maybe 2, I want to put some cayenne peppers, basil and maybe some mustard or some cherry tomatoes but I think that tomatoes need their space but anyway, what veggies can I mix in the pot.

This is the pot I bought.

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00604-20100815-1602.jpg[/img]

Cheers.

soil
Greener Thumb

you can easily do mustard thats for sure. possibly a pepper along with the mustards.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I was thinking the same lines as Soil.

One pepper in the middle and surround with mustard or basil. Basil and peppers like more heat then mustard. Mizuna and Tah Tsai will bolt in the heat.

Eric

Shoontok

tomatos 3 plants tops. peppers I think I could squeeze 8 in there. Basil 8 plants also.

not sure I would do a mixed bag, cause tomatoes grow like wild and need room. Basil grows wicked too and chokes out peppers.

Maybe one basil in the middle and two peppers on each side?

I could also picture one cherry tomato in the center with either one or two basil or pepper on each side as long as the mato is pruned down low and staked up nicely to give the plants on the side some sun and breathing room.

don't know much about mustard so cant comment.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I am going to go a different route. How about 2 peppers side by side.

I say that because as said mustard is more of a cool crop so that might not mix well with the peppers that like it warm. Basil likes it warm but again as said basil will take over the pot and the peppers will be hurting.

That's a tough one what do you want the most? That is your answer right there. Maybe one basil and one pepper on the sides. That might work well for you.

Good luck

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Hi,

Well I bought the pot because I have some plants that are ready to transplant but some of them are in DIY toilet paper so I thought that instead of buying several pots I could fit some in a big and large one.

The plants I have to transplant are, cherry tomatos, cayenne peppers, basil, dill (but I heard dill doesn't like to be transplanted), and mustard.

I think I will go for the combination of peppers and a liiiittle basil around the pot.

What do you think.

Cheers.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I can't really tell how large the pot is. Basil is good in a pot. If it holds 5 gallons of soil, a tomato or pepper would work, assuming you can give it some sun.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

The pot is 26" long, 11"wide and 9" tall.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”