gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

MG, I grew this lettuce last fall and had great success with it. Like I've mentioned here a few time when referring to lettuce, I plant almost all leaf variety lettuce and very few heading types. This year I will put in a good bit of Romaine since my wife and I enjoy it, but for the most part, it is leaf lettuce and a few varieties of spicy greens to compliment the salad bowl. Lettuce will overwinter here, so I'll be picking it till it gets too hot and bolts.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'm bad, since I didn't mention the variety. Red Oak Leaf is what I generally plant.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

My favorite lettuce is Butterhead, romaine, then leaf types in this order.

I've had good harvest with,

Butterhead
..Tom Thumb
..Buttercrunch

Romaine
..Freckles
..Valmaine
..Jericho
..Winter Density
..Devils Tongue

Leaf
..Red Sails
..Simpson
..Slobolt
..Green Deer Tongue

I don't grow or like crisphead lettuce.

Eric

applestar
Mod

What didn't you like about Red Sails? If it's flavor my DH will agree with you and so do the slugs. :lol: Even when the slugs are doing their worst, Red Sails come through relatively unscathed. They're easy to grow and are my back ups. I don't know that I love them, but I'm the only one that eats them.

Right now, my favorite lettuce for flavor and texture is Red Cross. Magenta, I have to say, looks really good and has a firmer texture that I like for sandwiches. They're both early maturing -- 48 days. With icebergs, I've given up on Summertime -- it's a slug hotel. But Red Glacier iceberg is better at keeping away the slugs and tastes good enough for DH. My kids prefer the Green Oakleaf. I guess I should try Red Oakleaf on them as well. Another one that I like is a volunteer -- it seems one of the reds and Tin Tin crossed and came up with a speckled baby Romaine.

I've let a couple plants of all varieties go to seed except for Summertime (which didn't survive to bolt), so I shouldn't need to sow any more lettuce.... 8) though I'm always open to trying something new. :wink:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I grew Lolla Rossa (sp?) Fall/Winter 2008/09. Great stuff! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

lorax
Greener Thumb

I'm currently growing Red Oaktag and Foglio Rossi and I love 'em - these are two of the few varieties of lettuce that I'll consistently plant every year no matter where I am. They weather high heat very well and are also excellent cold performers.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I get my Oaktag and Foglio Rossi seed from my local large Agribusiness store; he imports them from somewhere in southern Italy. I've still got seed for both, and can send you some if you like (PM me). Both varieties are very fast starters.

If you leave Foglio Rossi long enough, it forms small, open heads similar to Romaine. It's a marvelous lettuce; very flavorful, and quite large leaves with the puckery-wrinkly look that is normally associated with Romaines (although FR isn't a romaine-type.) Oaktag stays individual but produces lots of large, smooth leaves with a red blush along the outer centers and green towards the middle. It's redder in full sun than it is in shade.

applestar
Mod

Sorry I wasn't clear -- Red Cross is a butterhead and Magenta is a summer crisp Batavian-type, but I start harvesting the outer leaves early, before they head up anyway, and they grow fast. When they head up, it's like extra bonus. I'm pretty sure I got both of them from Johnny's Selected Seeds.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”