love11

wheatgrass

wheat grass may taste yucky but there is over 17 diffrent vitamans in it...

I call it gods multi vitaman.

Also wheat grass has the highest number of clorophil of any herb.

So its high grass Great grass to

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I think they make juicers for wheat grass. If the grass tastes bad, I'll bet that the juice even tastes worse.

soil
Greener Thumb

wheatgrass is an acquired taste, after a month of taking it you don't even notice. before that time you can mix the shot of wheatgrass in smoothies( after you blend the fruit), or a really simple way is to just mix it with apple juice. taste perfectly fine.

really once you have been taking it for a while and start noticing the long term effects. the taste is the last thing on your mind. your just :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

soil wrote:wheatgrass is an acquired taste, after a month of taking it you don't even notice. before that time you can mix the shot of wheatgrass in smoothies( after you blend the fruit), or a really simple way is to just mix it with apple juice. taste perfectly fine.

really once you have been taking it for a while and start noticing the long term effects. the taste is the last thing on your mind. your just :D
So you've noticed a difference in how you felt after you had been taking it for awhile? Sounds like it may be worth the taste acclimation.

I agree with you in how you can acquire a taste for something after repeated exposure to it....I've done it myself.

soil
Greener Thumb

yes after you start taking wheatgrass you feel " better" but after a few weeks to a month of daily doses of wheatgrass, you almost feel invincible. yet its so subtle of an energy you don't even notice it half the time. nothing short of amazing imo.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Awesometastic.

Wheatgrass (Triticum aestivum)

Nariko

Are any of you growing wheatgrass from seed? I planted some seeds a few days ago and have already seen small sprouts. I've never tried wheatgrass before, so I'm looking forward to it!

soil
Greener Thumb

all wheatgrass is grown from seed.

Nariko

Oh, thank you. I thought you might also have the option to buy it already grown as is the case with other things. We live in Arizona, so we don't always have the cool stuff other places have.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

You can sprout any seed at home in the kitchen: mung beans, alfalfa seeds, and...wheat.

I could never get over the idea of eating grass. I mean, if I'd been meant to be a true herbivore, I think I would have had more stomachs, like cows and goats and other ruminants do....I also can't stand the taste of regular ol' grass. Bleah.

When my taste buds strongly rebel at something, I take the "hint" and drop it. So far, they've protected me from alcohol--which I still can't stand--and a few other migraine triggers. :D The body's natural defenses will sometimes do a very good turn!

Alas, nothing has helped get rid of the after-effects of car or bicycle accidents.... :(

But when I pay attention to the taste buds, good things can happen: I drink fewer sodas (maybe 1 or 2 a week), fewer candy bars (OMG! eat them really slowly and f-e-e-l the yucky stuff that's in them...down to 1 a week, if that :shock:), and MORE fruit! more fresh VEGGIES!

Kinda like we're evolved to do, huh? :wink: But no wheatgrass, juiced or otherwise, for me. Reminds me too much of the "If you *really* want an experience, drink this; after you get sick to your stomach, you'll ... well ... I can't explain it" situation. 'Nuff said....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

soil
Greener Thumb

your not eating the grass, just drinking the juice, your body is fully capable of processing everything in it.

cynthia you need to try wheatgrass, beyond the taste it is simply amazing. your body will LOVE you for it. ive never seen anyone get sick from it either. maybe some weird faces at first, but once they feel the effects they are all for it.

treed
Newly Registered

Soil, what juicer do you recommend to process the wheatgrass?

Nariko

The wheatgrass that I planted is now about 4 inches tall. What is the proper way to harvest it? How do you eat it? Chop it into very small pieces and add it to a smoothie?

soil
Greener Thumb

Soil, what juicer do you recommend to process the wheatgrass?
well there are dozens of juicers out there that will do the job. I have this one and at first it may seem expensive. but for 4 people drinking 2 oz of wheatgrass daily we made our money back in less than a month easily, compared to if we all bought our grass from the store. it also makes tons of other things than juicing wheatgrass. we love to make pasta with it, frozen fruit purees, and much more.

https://www.amazon.com/Omega-J8005-Single-Gear-Commercial-Masticating/dp/B0002OKDT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1282102542&sr=8-1

do some research to find one that fits your needs best.

Nariko

I noticed yesterday that Sprouts sells wheatgrass and the roots are still attached. If I were to plant the wheatgrass in a larger container, would they continue to grow? I'm not sure since the wheatgrass has been refrigerated. Thanks!

soil
Greener Thumb

yes it will continue to grow, but it will diminish in nutritional quality every day it grows bigger. we drink the juice from the young plants for a reason. because it is nutritionally rich.

no need for a refrigerator if the plants still have there roots. only light and water to keep them alive. once cut you can refrigerate the cut leaves but its not suggested for the best juice. quality goes downhill every hour its been cut.

and a side note, buying wheatgrass in stores is such a waste of money. grow your own and you will save a lot of money in the long run, even if you buy the 250$ juicer I posted a link to. the wheatgrass will be better quality too.

Nariko

How long will the wheatgrass continue to grow? I have been cutting them and they seem to be growing back quickly.

soil
Greener Thumb

if you planted it, it will grow like well... a grass. not really worth it imo.

yes if you cut them and don't toss the rootball( in the compost of course) it will grow back. but it wont be as nutritious. the first cutting is the best for you. every cutting after that is almost pointless.

to get the full effects of wheatgrass you cant really cut corners, this is where I see most people trying it and giving it up. when done right it will make you feel 500% better than you do now in so many ways. I suggest anyone interested to try 1oz everyday for a month. or 1oz for the first week then 2oz for the rest of the month if you can get it or grow it cheap enough. this is where growing your own saves you cash big time. good thing everyone here is a green thumb :)

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”