krzyk4
Cool Member

Can I bring Herbs inside for Winter?

I am growing a wide variety of herbs including basils, oregano, thyme,lavender, rosemary, chamomile, parsley, marjoram, and every mint I could find ...my question is .. can I bring them inside for the winter or can I make a cutting or am I done?

I appreciate any and all help :D

krzyk4
Cool Member

Hmmm ... ok THANKS :D I wasn't sure what to do with them. I will try rooting the ones I can and see if the rest survive coming in ... everything but the parsley is in pots. so I will freeze that. thanks for being so helpful!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Some of those may be able to stay out for the winter, especially if they are in the ground not in pots and you mulch well. A lot of mints are hardy down to zone 3, some thyme is hardy to zone 4.

applestar
Mod

I've dug up parsley to grow indoors for the winter., They last for me until about Feb, then they are usually overcome by some pest -- aphids, spidermites. This is also when the 2nd year plants start sending up flowerstalks. I sometimes keep them going to harvest the seeds, but if the bug issue is too severe, I chuck them rather than giving myself the headache.

krzyk4
Cool Member

This all makes sense :D I have multiples of some plants so I can experiment a little too ...

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”