jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Bee On Corn

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/bee_on_corn.jpg[/img]

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I am loving the bee pictures this morning, they're just so cute!

specgrade

They sure don't look as scary as the Yellow Jackets flying around my garden. I have, as of late, been seeing more Honey Bees. I hope their population is making a come back!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Nice pic. I took one not long ago of a bee on a sunflower. There's just something about bees.

R. Mills

Yes, but those are not bumble bees, which to me serve no purpose.

R. Mills

Hi Jal,
I just wanted to show you my little vegatable gardens but don't understand how to post the pictures. I click the IMG button but nothing happens. Any advice ?
Thanks
[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Click this link:

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]Click Here[/url]

We would like to see your garden.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yes, but those are not bumble bees, which to me serve no purpose.
R. Mills

I'm a little confused, what serves no purpose.

Both Honey bees and Bumble Bees are great pollinators.

The corn is not benefiting from the bee, corn is wind pollinated. Thats why corn is planted in blocks.

Eric

philm00x

so THAT'S what corn looks like when it's growing! neat!

applestar
Mod

Yeah, you wouldn't say bumble bees serve no purpose if you saw my pumpkin, squash, and cucumber flowers, raspberry flowers, etc. Especially the cucurbits, practically every flower has at least one, if not two in them by the time the sun's up. I think -- well I KNOW -- some of them sleep in the flowers. I once picked yesterday's closed squash flower to add to my morning omelet, and it started buzzing in my hand! Hmm, that reminds me -- Pencil in Squash Flower omelet on the menu for tomorrow's breakfast! :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Yeah, you wouldn't say bumble bees serve no purpose if you saw my pumpkin, squash, and cucumber flowers, raspberry flowers, etc. Especially the cucurbits, practically every flower has at least one, if not two in them by the time the sun's up. I think -- well I KNOW -- some of them sleep in the flowers. I once picked yesterday's closed squash flower to add to my morning omelet, and it started buzzing in my hand! Hmm, that reminds me -- Pencil in Squash Flower omelet on the menu for tomorrow's breakfast! :D
I don't really think they fall asleep in the flower. I always though that the flower closes up on the unsuspecting bee, trapping it there. A nasty surprise for anyone making dinner with the blossoms who doesn't take the time to open them :shock:.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Squash flower omlete with a little vitamin bee. Sounds yummy. :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”