Dixana
Greener Thumb

What is this? (Luna moth)

I took this out at the campgroumd we go to. I have never seen one before and it was amazing and beautiful. The front legs are black, but the back legs are white and fuzzy. It was huge and amazing to see.

[img]https://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Dixana/1281150526.jpg[/img]

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I found one the other day, it said it is a luna moth, and that they are about to become endangered species.

Apparently they do not eat garden plants. Their preferred food is trees.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

That's a Luna moth! Aren't they pretty? I've only ever seen one live one. The scientific name is Actias luna. :)

[img]https://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/files/images/Luna%20Moth%202_0.preview.jpg[/img]

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

They are difficult to kill, :oops: They continue to fly until they have no head... Oops.
Hey I didn't know it was almost endangered... until afterward.
They aren't common here, but they aren't rare either.
They are something you see occasionally.

I promise not to kill any more! I felt so bad, after I looked it up.

applestar
Mod

I've only seen one live one too, a couple of years ago... and so have my kids. We called it Luna.

Just now, I showed DD8 the photos, and she immediately said: "Aww. It's a Luna Moth. That reminds me of Luna. She's dead now of course, but her daughters probably had daughters, and their daughters had daughters...." 8) I hope so. :bouncey:

Dixana
Greener Thumb

It was beautiful. It's sad they're dying out, I wonder why?
This might be a very stupid question.....but what is the difference between a moth and a butterfly? Other than the legs of course.

applestar
Mod

Antenna: Butterflies have skinny curled ones and moths have radar/feather like ones. Moths usually have fatter abdomen. I think there's something about body fuzz but I can't remember.

Butterflies make chrysalis and moths make cocoons -- Ah! so the moth larvae make silk? ... hmmm trying to think... skipper larvae silk a to stitch leaves together into a hideout... well they all do silk a little -- tether and life lines.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”