dirtfarmer

Rabbit droppings, Good or bad?

I have a friend who raises rabbits. He's been using the droppings and making some type of liquid fertilizer concoction for his plants. My question is, is this good for vegetable gardens? He's offered to give me as much as I need because he knows I'm struggling with my soil.

dirtfarmer

Thank you for the advice. I think I'll call him in awhile and tell him to get some buckets ready!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Too much of a good thing is still too much.

I used to raise and sell rabbits, and sometimes to get the "waste" used it was just dug into my beds... too much will make the beds non-productive. It doesn't burn plants like chemical fertilizers or chicken "waste" but it can still make soil toxic.

I cleaned a neighbors rabbit cage area, brought home a truck load of bunny poo, since I no longer raise them.
My hubby put it all on one or two beds, it should have been spread out over all 9! Well, those two beds were toxic and wouldn't even grow weeds.

Goats and rabbits both make convenient little pellets, that are great in moderation, in a circle around the plants, or even spread over the whole area, in the fall. But do not get either more than an inch deep or it will be toxic to your plants.

The liquid made by soaking them is called... manure tea and it is wonderful for your plants, and you can spray it on as a foliar feed. Even raw, these "berries" are useful in this way. It would be difficult to overfeed when it is in liquid form, but I suppose it could be done.

dirtfarmer

Although I didn't plant my whole area, I have quite a large space for gardening. I'd use it sparingly throughout the whole area so that next spring I'll plant the whole garden. My composting is going well and I'm starting a new batch. I should be getting a couple truckloads of composted cow manure soon. Hopefully by next spring I won't be fighting bad soil!

I got behind this spring and only planted a few things:
Corn, zucchini, chili peppers, 2 types of green peppers, 3 types of tomatoes and a couple jack-o-lanterns.

Everything is behind, I've had 2 tomatoes ripen so far and a few chili's. My tomato plants have several tomatoes on them but are yet to ripen. All but the corn, zucchini and pumpkins were donated to me by the local high school. So, unfortunately, I have no clue what varieties everything is. :?

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”