peachguy

Tomato Germination

This happened a while ago when I was trying to start my tomatos from seed, I planted them in peat pellets (which I don't use anymore) and in a little green house with a tiny little lamp on about 10 hrs a day. the tomatos germinated fine but kinda wierd because they had tall and skiny stalks. When they started to put on thier first true leaves they wold become top heavy, fall over and die. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and how I can elimnate this problem next year.

decam0

I reckon they didn't get enough light and grew spindly searching for it.

tiggy

hi I am new to this forum and no expert in gardening. but I did have the same problem as you. I grew cherry tomato's from seed and out of a packet managed to get only 2 plants. all of them grew so thin that they fell over and died but supported the 2 healthier looking ones when they were only about 6 inches high and they seem to be doing fine but are very slow in bearing flowers and fruit.
have still got them in my green house and live in hope. but I did wonder if I had watered them too much as I watered daily.
will let you know if I ever get any tomato's of them.

peachguy

mmm yes I did get one aswell but I gave up on it it didn't really grow much keep me posted on your plant and I am going to search more about this.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Here's some helpful info about growing from seed and spindly seedlings.
https://extension.missouri.edu/jasper/hort/mg/globe/014.htm

Newt

tiggy

hi just to update you all. looked in my greenhouse today and my spindly tomatos are doing well both flowering nicely and even beginning to bear small fruits. but the fruit does look like its all viened to me at the top. is this normal for cherry tomatos?? I don't know as this is the first time I have tried growing this variety. usually stick to alacanti and shirly tomato's.

well guess I still need to wait and see what happens to them.

good luck all with your crop.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Tiggy, the veining on the shoulders of the tomatoes could be from several causes. Take a look here at Graywall, Blotchy ripening, Fruit russeting (skin checking or weather checking) and Yellow shoulders to see what might fit.
https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/NewsArticles/Tom_ComDis.htm#Top

Newt

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”