cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

@ applestar: the highest concentrations of pectin are found in the skin/peel and the core of those green apples. If you want to use them as an alternate source (in an experimental way) of pectin, you'll increase the odds of success by focusing on the peels and core. I'm sure *someone* in your house will be happy to help with the "extra" apple chunks! :D

@ gardengrl3: Your question isn't crazy at all. Some pasta-sauce jars *are* rated for canning. They have markings and everything on them. But don't use plain lids, even on these jars. Use the safe canning lids, the two-part ones. But, for your first time canning, I would say not to use even the pasta-sauce jars rated for canning. Use equipment and supplies known to be correct while you're learning the safe way to do things. It removes one source of stress. Do not improvise as a beginner, especially with safety requirements. Later, as you gain experience, you may want to play around with ingredients, like Applestar is doing, but the safety will still be critical.

If you want to make a small batch, that's fine! One "batch" in my canner holds 7 jars, no matter what their size. There are only 7 parking places in the canning rack. Four or five jars, then, would be most of a batch. And, if you want to freeze the sauce, you will again want to use--yes--canning jars. They're tempered for both heat and freezing, and thus are recommended either way. When I've needed to "put up" food and haven't been up to standing for long enough to do canning, I've punted and frozen the food (praying for no power outages...). My canning jars, therefore, have never stood idle for very long! :D

I wrote a post the other day with my "three rules of canning" in it. Since then, I've found some recipes from my first couple of years canning. I am *stunned* *gobsmacked* *staggered* to find that I've been canning for 25 years. Self-taught from books, including pressure canning, but really if you follow the directions carefully and give yourself time the first couple of go-rounds, it will come together for you quite safely and happily.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:Often, heirloom varieties are more acidic than modern hybrids, although to what extent I can't say and refuse to rely on. Regardless of the varieties I've canned or made products (e.g., spaghetti sauce) from for canning, I have always added lemon juice or citric acid powder to the tomatoes / sauce before canning them. We want acidity in hot-water canned products. This is what provides the safety margin for non-pressurized canning: acidity. Low pH.

On the subject of canning (and this is mostly for those new to the practice or wanting to try it out):

I learned from books. This means that you can learn from the web and from books, too. No one I knew canned or even knew anyone else who did when I was faced with a friend's tree absolutely laden with cherry-sized plums way back when.

Rule #1 of Canning: There is no such thing as "too safe" when home-canning foods.

Do not improvise your own cooking times or preparation methods. Do not take chances with the safety of your family or friends. If you can afford to purchase only one canner *and* can afford a pressure canner, do so. Both kinds of canning (hot-water bath and pressure canning) can be performed in a pressure canner; the reverse is not true. I got along with a hot-water canner (also referred to as a "baine Marie") for several years before I felt comfortable enough to look for a pressure canner, but the web wasn't around then, and printed info on pressure canning wasn't all that encouraging.

Now it's different; there is a TON of information, but not all of it is reliable. Unfortunately. Know your sources. The Ball Blue Book is excellent; the USDA extension nearest your home is also excellent.

I can tell you that I have experience, but I will also tell you that I am *not* experienced in canning at elevation or in canning meats. I have also not done much canning of quarts; most of what I've canned has been jelly-sized jars, 12-oz. jars, pints, and 1.5-pint jars. Each of these has a *different processing time* which is dependent on its size and on your elevation. Find out what that processing time is from a reliable source: again, the Ball Blue Book or the USDA.

Rule #2 of Canning: There is no such thing as "too clean" when home-canning foods.

Even after years of experience, I still demand almost hospital-like sterility from my jars, flat lids, and screw-on bands. I want my food hot hot hot when it goes into the jars, my water boiling, and my jars / flat lids sterile (or as sterile as I can get them). My own hands are clean clean clean. I do not touch my hair or my face while working with the jars. If I do, I wash my hands again before touching a jar.

If you have a dishwasher, you're golden: put the jars and the screw-on bands on a good, hot cycle as you're getting the food ready for canning. Turn the dishwasher on. The jars and screw-on bands will wait for you. Hand-wash, in soapy hot water, the flat lids. Yes, even if they *just* came brand-new out of the box. Rinse them well. Have a bowl or small pot into which you can lay them without them sticking to one another. I turn them alternately right-side-up and upside-down. Then pour boiling water over them. They will also wait for you.

Now your equipment is good and clean.

Prepare/cook the food, fill the jars per your recipe (head space varies, depending on what you're canning), and make very sure there are no particles of food on the rim of the jar. Place the flat lid on the rim of the jar and a screw-on band over the lid. When you have a rack of jars filled (usually 7 jars) *and* the water is boiling, place the jars into the water. There should be enough water to cover the jars by 1 inch when the water is boiling.

Rule #3 of Canning: Follow established procedures, and you will get it right the first time.

After the prescribed processing time has elapsed, use the "jar-lifter" and place each jar carefully onto a folded towel which has been set in place out of drafts. This is where the jars will cool, probably overnight. My best counter for this cooling is next to the stove but also next to the window, so I close the window *sigh* when the processing time is almost up. After all my work, I do not want a jar to crack....

There's a nice "ping" sound when the lids invert. Count these pings; you'll know whether all the jars sealed or not. If any did not seal, those go into the refrigerator for eating in the near future; do not put them in long-term room-temp. storage.

And feel good about yourself!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

I think this is a great post! :()

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Plum Butter

Makes 6 8oz jars

12 cups pitted chopped plums
1 cup water
4 cups sugar (or to taste)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves

In a large non-reactive pot, simmer plums with water, covered, over medium heat for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.

If you don't want skins, pass them through a food mill with medium dye. If you like skins (I think it's pretty with dark skins) just process to a puree in a food processor.

Prepare water canner , jars and lids.

return the puree back to the cooking pot. Stir in the sugar and simmer over medium-low heat stirring constantly for 30-40 minutes until the mixture is thickened. Stir in the spices and cook for 5 more minutes. Mixture is thick when it mounds on a spoon. Turn off the heat.

Spoon the hot thickened butter into hot prepared jars.. Leave a 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace back to 1/4 inch with more mixture. WIPE RIMS. place lids and bands and tighten to fingertip tight.

Process jars in boiling water for 10 minutes. When time is up, turn off heat and remove cover. Let stand for five minutes, them remove jars.

Cool, wipe and store.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Honeyed Peach and Blueberry Compote

Makes about 7 8oz jars

5 cups peaches peeled and sliced
5 cups blueberries
1 cup orange
2 cups sugar
1 cup honey (IMO, darker honeys are too strong for this kind of recipe. so, use a lighter honey like clover or wildflower)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick broken in half.

Prepare waterbath canner, jars and lids.

In a large non-reactive pot, combine the peaches, blueberries and orange juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue cooking, stirring constantly for 15-20 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.

Fish out and remove the cinnamon stick and turn off the heat.

(if you want something a little more special, you can add 1/4 cup of peach schnapps or brandy at this point. Just stir it in right after you turn off the heat.)

Ladle the hot mixture into hot jars with 1/4 inch headspace. Remove bubbles and readjust headspace to 1/4 inch with more sauce. WIPE RIMS. Place lids and bands and tighten to fingertip tight.

Process jars in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Turn off heat and uncover, let jars sit in water for 5 more minutes. Remove jars from water and cool. Wipe jars clean and store.

This stuff is AWESOME on cheesecake!!!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Old Fashioned Tomato Ketchup

makes 6 8 oz jars

2 3 inch cinnamon stick broken in half
1tsp whole cloves
1 tsp whole alspice
2 Tbsp mustard seeds
1 tsp celery seeds
10 pounds of ripe tomatoes (plum, bells, and roma work best but you can use any kind)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp salt

Quarter the tomatoes and combine them with the onion and peppers in a large non-reactive pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring accasionally. Remove form heat and press through a sieve or a food mill. Discard the seeds and skins.

Put the cinnamon, cloves, alspice mustard and celery seeds into a cheesecloth bag and tie the top tight with string.

Prepare waterbath canner, jars and lids.

Return the tomato mixture to the pot and add the spice bag and the remaining ingredients. Simmer the sauce for about 1 hour or until it gets thick (like ketchup hehe) Stirring occasionally for the first 40-45 minutes, then stirring constantly for the last 15-20 minutes. This will help prevent scorching.

When desired consistency is reached, turn off the heat, remove the spice bag. Ladel the hot ketchup into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove bubbles and adjust headspace back to 1/2 inch with more sauce. WIPE RIMS. Place lids and bands onto jars and tighten to fingertip tight.

Process in boiling water canner for 15 minutes. when time is up. turn off the heat and uncover the canner. Let jars sit in water for 5 more minutes, then remove them from the canner. Cool, wipe and store!

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Jalapeno Jelly, the recipe in the BBB is as simple as it gets! Only takes 3/4 pound of jalapeno's for a batch. I usually do a double batch without any problems setting up. I have substituted anaheims when I have had a shortage of jalapeno's without causing any problems either.

applestar
Mod

Lindsay, I'm loving this thread full of your recipes :D
One request, though... could you post Serving suggestions? I think you did will a few and that helps IMMENSELY with things I never tried before.

Too often, I'm thinking "Hmm that sounds pretty good (or delicious!), and do-able, but... what the heck do you eat it with?" :lol: For example, I have a jar of pickled watermelon rinds I made last year sitting in front of me. (I was reorganizing the cupboard) I haven't opened it because I've NO CLUE what to do with it. :roll:

applestar
Mod

I made the Jalapeno/hot pepper jelly! :-()
Spent about 5 minutes licking the spoons and scraping the pot as well as the canning funnel and anything else the jelly stuck on enough to scrape up. :>

"Luckily" about 1/3C didn't fit in the canning jars -- promptly finished off at least half of that. Tried on crostini with cream cheese as suggested, also tried with aged Gruyer (my favorite cheese). MMmmm, mmm, mmm!

You did say it was addictive. 8)

I used all the different hot peppers -- Jalapenos, Cubanelle, Anaheim, Fish, Czech Black, even Royal Black. Also used some sweet bells (Quadrato d'asti) and Aji Dulce. Most were green with some breaking color, few red hot red. Looks really good in the jars with the red pieces hinting heat, along with a few seeds that made it in. I made applesauce from one small green apple, then added all the other ingredients. I hadn't paid attention to the amount of sugar in the recipe until I was actually making it, so I managed to use up all the sugar in the pantry. :roll: (Why does so many canning recipes call for so much sugar? I'll have to look into other kinds of preserving methods.....)

Still, it was DELICIOUS! No heat while eating, but some mild warmth developed in the mouth afterwards. Definitely worth making. I made 1/2 the recipe and filled 7 4 oz jars. :()

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I made the Jalapeno/hot pepper jelly!
Spent about 5 minutes licking the spoons and scraping the pot as well as the canning funnel and anything else the jelly stuck on enough to scrape up.

LMBO! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. It IS especially bad with pepper and blackberry jelly!!

Will be making pepper jelly on Saturday. Gonna try it with all reds :) even though some of my ripe "Hals" have blackened a bit on the vine.

I am SO glad you like it!

I have acquired 2 grocery bags FULL of brown turkey figs that are going to have to be dispatched in some sort or fashion. I'm thinkin fig jam. I made some out of blue book recipe last year, but it wasn't like, WOW or anything. I tried a store bought fig jam with orange and it was CRAZY GOOD. Like, fig crack!!! So I need to find a recipe for that. I ate the whole dang jar in just a couple of days! On buttered bisuits of course :()

Here are a few suggestions for the recipes:

Ketchup: Everything savory. I LOVE it in oyster stew.
Peach and blueberry compote: sweet & saucy really good on Cheesecake or icecream or puddings.
The Fruit Butters: I like to make sandwiches with peanut butter and fruit butter. or buttered toasts and biscuits (especially biscuits...drool)
Chutneys are awesome of grilled meats and fish.
Tomato jam is also good on meat and fish but is also good on buttered biscuits or english muffins.
Pepper jelly is good on almost everything!!! but IMO best with crusty bread and cream cheese or cream cheese and wheat crackers..Once you start eating it..it's pretty much over.
The pickles and relishes are good chopped and mixed in with canned meats like tuna or with roasted meat salads like chicken salad.
Relishes like the red root relish are good on beans or rich fish stews.
Tomato sauce can be used in any way a normal canned sauce is used. Pasta, pizza, stuffed bells, really infinite possibilities.

The Wickles I will do differently next year. For 1, they are to pumpkin pie spice tasting. I will omit the pickling spice. and 2, they aren't too wicked, they need more OOmph! More HOT peppers!!!! They are a sweet pickle. People down here like to eat sweet pickles chunked up in fish stes and chopped fine in tuna, chocken, and egg salads. Phill just eats them right out of the jar. I don't particularly care for sweet pickles. But I like Wickles, as long as they live up to the wicked part.

I also have a great recipe for apple and gingered pear butters that I want to share. If I find a suitable fig recipe, I'll post that too. Right now, most call for adding Jello to the mix. Can't do that cause of my mom's vegetarian status. We'll see! Anyone know of any recipes for orange scented fig jam? That don't have Jello! Dalmatia makes the fig jam I am referring to (and GAH is it good!)

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

APPLE! I was searching recipes for mint and I came along this one!!! It's right up your alley! I can't wait to try it, too!

Mint Jelly

Makes 4 8oz jars

The tarter the apples, the more pectin they will usually have. If you are using home picked apples, earliest in the season is best, and the smaller apples will have proportionally more pectin as well.

Ingredients
4 lbs of tart apples, unpeeled, chopped into big pieces, including the cores (including the cores is important as this is where most of the natural pectin is)
1 1/2 cups of fresh mint, chopped, lightly packed
2 cups water
2 cups white vinegar
3 1/2 cups sugar (7/8 cups for each cup of juice)
4 drops green food color is optional. looks like apple jelly otherwise.

Combine apple pieces with water and mint in a large pan. Bring water to a boil then reduce heat and cook 20 minutes, until apples are soft.

Add vinegar, return to boil. Simmer covered, 5 more minutes.

Use a potato masher to mash up the apple pieces to the consistency of thin apple sauce.

Spoon the apple pulp into a couple layers of cheesecloth or a large, fine mesh sieve, suspended over a large bowl. Leave to strain for 2-4 hours. Do not squeeze. Note that if your mash is too thick, you can add 1/2-1 cup more water to it. You should have 4 to 5 cups of resulting juice.

Prepare water canner, jars and lids.

Measure the juice, then pour into a large pot. Add the sugar (7/8 a cup for each cup of juice). Heat gently, stirring to make sure the sugar gets dissolved and doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.

Bring to a boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes, using a metal spoon to skim off the surface scum. Continue to boil until a candy thermometer
shows that the temperature has reached 8-10°F above the boiling point at your altitude (boiling point is 212°F at sea level, so at sea level the temperature should read 220-222°F). Additional time needed for cooking can be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or longer, depending on the amount of water, sugar, and apple pectin in the mix.

Candy thermometers aren't always the most reliable indicators of whether or not a jelly is done. Another way to test is put a half teaspoonful of the jelly on a chilled (in the freezer) plate. Allow the jelly to cool a few seconds, then push it with your fingertip. If it wrinkles up, it's ready.

Pour hot jelly into hot canning jars leaving 1/4" headspace. WIPE RIMS. place lids and bands and tighten to fingertip tight.

Process in boiling water canner for 5 minutes. Ensure jars are completely covered with boiling water. Turn off heat and remove cover. Wait 5 minutes. Remove jars from canner. Cool wipe and store.

Serve with roasted lamb, beef or chicken. Or with cream cheese and crackers. Or on buttered biscuits! YUM

applestar
Mod

Your timing is impeccable! :wink:

Just this morning, I picked new-fallen apples and "bruised" apples.
My Enterprise apples are suffering from brown rot, but I found out that if I catch it early, I can cut out the small portion of affected parts and the rest of the fruit is perfectly usable for green apple recipes.

I have 1/2 of a gallon zip bag full of saltwater soaked green apple pieces in the fridge, ready to use. :()

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Here is the recipe for figs I am going to try. I found it on Saving the Season's website. I am going to alter the recipe somewhat, but the basic recipe is posted below.

FIG PRESERVES WITH HONEY AND WILD AROMATICS

makes about 5 8oz jars

2.2 pounds (1 kg) black mission or brown Turkey figs, about 6 cups halved
4 cups (800 g) sugar
1/2 cup sage honey
1/2 teaspoon or more wild fennel seed
3 California bay leaves
zest from one lemon
juice from one lemon

Trim the stem end and the tiny button on the flower end off of the figs. Halve for measurement purposes if working by volume, then quarter for cooking.

Layer figs, sugar, honey, lemon juice, and wild aromatics in a bowl. Cover and macerate overnight.

Put entire contents of bowl in a pot and heat over medium heat . I added the lemon zest at this point, but in the future would try adding it towards the end of cooking. Bring to a full boil and skim. Moderate heat and continue skimming, gently stirring or shaking to prevent figs from sticking to the pot and scorching. About 10 minutes cooking should reduce it sufficiently. Ladle into jars and process in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Here is how I am going to make the jam. I was looking for recipes with orange and honey but I couldn't find anything, but this one is close and it is easily altered because it doesn't include any added pectin.

Gonna call it

Orange Scented Fig and Honey Jam

2.2 pounds (1 kg) black mission or brown Turkey figs, about 6 cups halved
4 cups (800 g) sugar
1/2 cup wildflower or orange blossom honey
zest from one orange
1/2 cup orange juice

Trim the stem end and the tiny button on the flower end off of the figs. Halve for measurement purposes if working by volume, then chop coarsly for cooking.

Layer figs, sugar, honey,and orange juice. Cover and macerate overnight.

Prepare canner, jars, and lids

Put entire contents of bowl in a pot and heat over medium heat . Bring to a full boil and skim. Moderate heat and continue skimming, gently stirring or shaking to prevent figs from sticking to the pot and scorching. About 10 minutes cooking should reduce it sufficiently. with a potato masher, mash all the ingredients in the pot. Continue cooking over medium low heat until mixture sheets off of a spoon or you can check its consistency on a frozen plate. When desire thickness is reached Ladle hot jam into hot jars. WIPE RIMS. place lids and band on jars to fingertip tight. Ensure jars are completely covered with boiling water and process in boiling water for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and remove canner cover. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove jars from canner. Cool, wipe, and store

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

For example, I have a jar of pickled watermelon rinds I made last year sitting in front of me. (I was reorganizing the cupboard) I haven't opened it because I've NO CLUE what to do with it.
What's that taste like? Like dill pickles, or are they sweet? Did you keep the skin on em? Are they crunchy like water chestnuts? What's your recipe?

Made the pepper jelly tonight!! It turned out beautiful with the all reds. I had more Jalapenos than I thought! I made 2 batches and I only had to put in 1/2 cup of chopped sweets (I grew marconi's, so that's what I used.) with the 3 1/2cups of chopped jalapenos! Mine is SCREAMIN hot!!! I got 14 8oz jars exactly with 2 batches of this recipe. 7 8oz jars with each batch. It set up really nice and firm too!

So hot it made my cheeks blush :() :oops:

applestar
Mod

I actually decided there's no point in staring at the pickled watermelon rinds in the jars, so I opened a one and tried it with pork chops. It was delicious. :() Sweet and sour? Kind of like Bread and Butter but different. No skins. These were not crunchy but soft and slippery. Are they supposed to be crunchy?

I'll have to dig up the recipe.

:lol: I can't imagine processing/canning that much all at once. I think I would be overwhelmed. It's less intimidating to make small, manageable batches. :wink: I canned two 12 oz jars of plum syrup the other day. The other 8 oz went in the fridge and 4 more oz. were immediately consumed. :lol:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Making half a batch takes the same amount of time as a whole batch, just takes more jars! :() You can do it! I don't usually made 2 batches at the same time. I've had trouble with the gel setting when I do it that way. I go ahead and prep everything that I need for both batches. Jars, lids, fruits, veggies, and I measure out my sweeteners. Then I cook the first batch and while they are processing in the canner, I cook the second batch. While they are processing, I clean up the mess!

Do you use the plum syrup for moistening cakes? Pancakes? How do you make it? I think I wanna try watermelon pickles! :()

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Here is the All Red Jalapeno Pepper Jelly (I used only red ripe jalapenos to make it. Did not add green food color) It's funny that it looks like flames in the jars :() It is absolutely indicative of it's heat :twisted: It's not actually that hot (IMO) but it does pack a back kick :()

[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff011.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff003.jpg[/img]

My favorite way to eat it (buttery type cracker, cream cheese, pepper jelly):
[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff013.jpg[/img]

Happy Canning!!!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I found some good buys at the farmer's market.
I got apples, peppers, tomatoes, etc.
So, I got busy using these up.
First I peeled the apples, and cut out and threw away any bad spots, I only had a bowl full of apples, not a case or anything. They were small and kind of non-descript.
But, I sliced them up, and dehydrated them.
Then I took my peels and cores, added some water and boiled them up.
[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/100_2825_phixr.jpg[/img]

Then I put that into cheesecloth and hung it to drip out the pectin. I got a whole quart of it. I tasted it, and it is like bland apple juice, but definitely can taste the apple in it.

[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/100_2826_phixr.jpg[/img]

The recipe called for oranges and lemons, just washed, sliced and added.
I thought the peel would make it a bit strong and take away from my tomato flavor, so I removed a bit over half the peels, and reserved them for candied peels...

I peeled the tomatoes, and cut them up small and here is the jelly cooking:
[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/100_2827_phixr.jpg[/img]

And the finished product:
[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/100_2829_phixr.jpg[/img]

Looks thick enough to me, the oranges and lemons also contain pectin so that helped.
[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/100_2830_phixr.jpg[/img]

It filled 5 half pint jars. With nothing left over, all I got was to lick the spoon and pot and boy was it good! This was my first trial of this recipe, and I modified it some, so it is now original... ha ha

Tomato Marmalade Recipe
Ingredients:
6 cups tomatoes (after cutting)
1 orange
1 lemon
5 cups sugar
4 whole cloves
broken cinnamon stick ( I used ground and it worked fine) 1/4tsp.
6 oz. of my homemade pectin
Directions:
Remove peel from tomatoes and cut in small pieces. Slice oranges and lemons very thin and quarter the slices.

Add sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add oranges, lemons, pectin, and spices which have been tied loosely in cheesecloth bag.

Place mixture over high heat and boil rapidly, stirring often. Cook until clear and thick (about 50 minutes). Remove spice bag.

Pour into sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch of top. Put on cap, screw band firmly tight. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
makes 5 half-pints

I like this with most anything from chicken breasts as a topping to on toast.
Last edited by Ozark Lady on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I bet that stuff is awesome on bruschetta with a little of your fresh goat cheese...mmmmmmmmmm...looks and sounds so yummy!

How lond did you boil the skins and cores for the apple pectin?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I only boiled them, until everything was nice and tender, then I put it in a cheesecloth lined colander, and let it drip.

I divided it between the tomato marmalade, pepper jelly and orange marmalade.

And yes, I do have 2 boxes of sure-jel right on the counter, just in case... it hadn't set up... but it did. I honestly thought the apples were not tart enough. I tested it with the thermometer, as well as, a teaspoon with an ice cube on the bottom to see what happens when it gets cool.

applestar
Mod

I think my next batch of canning has to be non-sugar. I didn't get out to harvest today, so there *should* be enough Yellow Bells for a pint jar or two and there are surely enough Principe Borghese for some dried tomatoes... but I'll keep the marmalade recipe in mind for another time.

LA, another way to consume the Hot Pepper Jelly:
Make a nice crunchy toast (better yet, make a few slices :wink:). Rub all over with fresh garlic. Generously butter. Now top with the Hot Pepper Jelly. A few drops of Balsamic Vinegar is optional. (and that goat cheese would really make this sing).

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have to finish the candied citrus peels, and get them dried, and stored.

And then, this milk, is burying me, so I definitely need to pull off of jelly making, and get some buttermilk, yogurt, and cheese made, I am running out of room with every shelf in the fridge full of milk!

Raw fresh milk keeps very well as long as the fridge is cold, it does not go bad half as fast as store-bought milk.

Hmmm, butter first...

My freezer is still full of blackberries, elderberries, plums, strawberries, and blueberries... I have to get back on syrup and jelly making pretty quick, to make some room!

I think I will thaw some venison and get some venison jerky on to marinade, to be dried!

My big freezer is an old timer, and it is not frost free, and it really needs to be defrosted, so I need my fridge freezer as well as the rest available to help protect the food while I do that job! Suppose to be hot tomorrow, defrosting a freezer... is a cool job!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

What do y'all do with the syrups? How do you make and preserve them?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Syrup is easy, when a jelly recipe fails, you have syrup!
My pepper jelly is syrup, I will use it in sweet and sour sauces, marinade etc. And double my pectin next time! ha ha Good thing the recipe that I used was 3/4 cup bell peppers and only 1/4 cup jalapeno, so it isn't hot.

You just extract the juices like you are going to make jelly and low pectin items no problem, just be sure it is acid enough to boiling water bath it, add the same sugar as for jelly, but don't cook it to the jelly stage. For me jelly is 220 if there is enough pectin, so high pectin fruit juices I would cook to 210. Then I just boiling water can it.

Lots of fruits that don't have pectin, do still have alot of acid. Or, lemon juice to the rescue!

applestar
Mod

The PLUM SYRUP I'm making is a bit different. This recipe is for just blushing unripe plums. You don't want them to be too green, but you don't want them to be too ripe because then they'll ferment too easily.

Prepare equal amount by weight washed plums and sugar (I used organic cane sugar).
After general washing, I soak the fruits in salty water for about 5 minutes, then rinse. This is my own innovation. I've no idea if this has any advantage, but it seemed like a good idea.
Carefully pick out any stem with bamboo skewers. You can avoid this step if you yank side ways to pull the fruit off the stems when picking the plums.
I'm using 1/2 gallon sterilized canning jars, which is a convenient size.
Layer the bottom with sugar.

With a fork, stab/prick all over each fruit. Drop them in the jar as you process. Build layers of sugar and fruit, ending with good sized layer of sugar.

Keep in a (cool) dark place. You'll see the sugar melt as juice is extracted from the fruits. Give a good thorough shake twice a day to help dissolve the sugar that has sunk to the bottom. You want to do this for 8~10 days. Occasionally burp the jar in case some fermentation takes place and gas builds up. Small amount of bubbling is OK. Mold is not OK.

The plums become all wrinkled by the end of the extraction period. I dump the whole thing in a pot. Swirling a couple of times and using the fruits to help dredge and scrape up the sugar. Remove the plums to a strainer set of a bowl. Return any liquid to pot. Heat to boiling until the sugar melts completely, then simmer for 5~10 minutes (Would 10 minutes be better?) skimming off scum.

I let the syrup cool a bit, then poured into canning jars and hot water processed them for storage. Now I don't remember how long -- I might have mentioned it somewhere else. Maybe 10 minutes, but my jars were 12 oz.

The syrup is used as beverage base. 1 part syrup and 4 parts water over 3 ice cubes. Float a sprig or leaf of mint. Obviously, other recipes can be used :wink: Also good as sweetener in tea and great addition to a fruit-yogurt smoothie.

I put the wrinkled plums in the dehydrator for 24 hours. Not quite prunes -- came out chewy/crunchy and the kids love them.

I'm trying the same concept on chunks of green apples using brown sugar right now. I also have a second batch of slightly more colored plums. This weekend for the plums, another week for the apples.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Okay, I have been hard at it... starting to gain on some of you canners!

Lets see I have canned: tomato marmalade, orange marmalade, salsa, elderberry jelly, plum butter, plum strawberry butter. Pepper jelly, syrup whatever it is!

I dehydrated tomatoes and okra, about to add some potatoes to the list.

I have homemade peach ice cream setting up in the freezer.
And cheese dripping at the moment, this is a really simple frying cheese, you coat it and fry it in hot oil...ymmm.
I have yogurt aging...

I think I will go ahead and make some mozarella, and maybe some more cream cheese to get some milk used up.

And I think it is time to crank the old pressure canner up and get some milk canned, and make up some soups to clear out my deep freeze, there is just no room left in there.

The peaches are beginning to ripen, so I have a tub of them to get made into ... into what... more jam, but a tree full of jam? Hmmm what else to do with peaches?

My candied orange peels were a big hit, they didn't last the day.
So, all you orange eaters out there, quit wasting those peels! Candied orange peel is so easy!

Candied Orange Peel

Ingredients
3 oranges
1 cup sugar
Directions
Using a citrus zester or vegetable peeler, shred long strips of orange peel.
Place strips in a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Drain; repeat two more times with fresh water.

Place sugar in a clean saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water; stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Add the citrus strips to the boiling syrup; reduce heat, and simmer until strips are translucent, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat; let strips cool in syrup, at least 1 hour. Drain the strips and roll in sugar, I actually just store the peels in a container with the sugar in it, the peels flavor the sugar too.

They kind of taste like that gelatin candy with all the sugar on the outside, orange slices is that what it is called?

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Did I put a peach chutney recipe on here? Perty tasty stuff specially on grilled pork. You can make peach wine( if you're into that?), halved peaches in heavy syrup, peach ketchup! Mmmmmmmm. I do believe peach ice cream and peach fro-yo are my absolute FAVORITE flavors!!!

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I just looked at the tally, 432 assorted pints so far this year! Here is a new recipe for peaches we just tried, woweee!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's good! :shock:

Peach Rum Sauce
6 cups chopped pitted peeled peaches
treat them to prevent browning
2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup rum, we used spiced rum
1 tsp grated lemon zest

Combine peaches, brown sugar, sugar, rum and lemon zest. Bring to a boil over high heat, stir, stir, stir until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and boil gently, stir once in a while, until thickened, about 20 minutes.

Fill jars to 1/4" headspace and process pints for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath canner.

It didn't thicken up too much but is oh so good!

I'm thinkin' angel food cake or pound cake doused in sauce is in my future!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

432! Wow! Okay, I am still in the lower 10%, ha ha.

The frozen ice cream is peach, yogurt ice cream. No recipe, just kind of mad scientist type thing! :twisted: I made 2-2 quart containers of it.
I have a grandson who requested more yogurt, and he wanted peach, he should like this.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Linsday on the pepper jelly am I correct to hear you mixing up peppers in the batch and not just jalapeno's?

Is it better with just Jalapenos or do you normally mix in other peppers. I have several colors of sweet bells as well as banana, poblano and something else I'm not quite sure of. :wink: What do you suggest any, all, just a mix, straight up jalapenos?

Thanks

Dono

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

The peppers that I used looked like hot peppers, but they had no fire.
Use what you have, then taste test it before you can it up.
I had to add alot of hot sauce to mine, wonder if that is why it is syrup?
But, I can use it in other things, not a loss.
Poblano's can be hot enough to get your attention, and banana peppers get hot at the end of the season, so don't count them out.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I have made it both ways. Its good both ways. I like hot stuff so I made mine with all ripe jalapenos. I even " forget" to take some of the seeds and membranes out :() The important thing to remember, is to make sure you have 2 cups of chopped peppers, what ever combination you decide! It is delicious with any combination!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks OL and Lindsay. I too like it hot, but my scale of hot and others are not the same. What I think is hot others find torturous and just plain wrong. I buy the hot sauces you have to be 18 to purchase or have to sign waivers for before buying. I don't want to make a whole bunch of something that no one will eat but me. My hot sauces may last me a year or 2-3. When just a dab will do you they go a long way.

I will see how many jalapenos I have when I make it but I'm sure there will be something to fill the emptiness if need be.

:D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

If you have enough peppers, you could make a mild sauce for folks who don't like it so hot, and a hotter version for yourself!

Make 2 separate batches!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Just GO FOR IT!!! LOL It's not that hot, really. I tasted on of the peppers before I cooked them, and it was SCREAMING but the finished product just gives a little back heat. Not even as hot as hot sauce (which I LOVE!!! my favorite is Cholula :) )

I love that tastes are so subjective. None so much as spiciness. I have a friend up in PA, that I went to school with, that broke into a sweat when he ate KETCHUP! LOL Could you imagine :()

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Oh yeah, I can imagine. There is a spicy ketchup that is non-edible.
There used to be one: Brooks tangy ketchup, and it was awful, it was spicy ketchup...yuck.
For some odd reason I don't like hot spices with ketchup.
Of course, I don't like stuff particularly hot, store bought mild salsa is too hot. But if you mix it with a can of tomato sauce you can tame it.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Honeyed Applesauce

makes about 6 pints

Some crisper apples wont break down completely and will lend a chunky style applesauce. I prefer taste over texture. Also use a honey that you like the taste of, because it has a definite presence in the finished product.

6 lbs apples
2 cups apple juice or cider
1 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or to taste) Optional
a pinch of nutmeg Optional

Prepare canner, jars, and lids.

Combine the apple juice, water, and lemon juice in a large pot and set aside. Peel core and chop apples into 1 inch cubes and place them in the apple juice mixture as you work to prevent browning. Bring the apple mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking at a simmer until apple are very soft. About 30-50 minutes. Stir often to prevent scorching.

Mash the apples thoroughly with a potato masher until a smooth consistency is reached. Stir in the honey and the spices and then cook at a simmer for 15 more minutes. Stir constantly!

Remove from heat. Ladle hot sauce into hot sterilized jars, leaving a 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace back to 1/4 inch with more hot sauce. WIPE RIMS! Place lids and tighten bands to fingertip tight. Process in boiling water canner for 20 minutes. Remove lid and turn off heat. Let sit for 5 minutes, then remove jars. Cool, wipe and store.

Great with everything from pancakes to porkchops. Or mixed into yogurt or cottage cheese.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Apple Butter

Makes 7 8oz jars

5 lbs apples
2 cups apple juice or cider
1 1/2-2 cups packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Prepare jars, lids and canner.

Peel, core, and chop apples and combine with apple juice in a large pot.

Cook over medium low heat at a simmer for 20 minutes or until apples are very tender. Process in a blender, sieve or food mill to a smooth texture.

Measure the puree back into your preserving pot and add 1/2 to 2/3 cups packed brown sugar for each cup of puree. Add the lemon juice and mix well. Cook over low heat stirring very frequently for 35 to 45 minutes or until thickened. During the last 10-15 minutes of cooking add spices. Remove from heat.

Ladle hot butter into hot sterile jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. release bubbles and adjust headspace back to 1/4 inch with more butter. WIPE RIMS. Place lids and bands and tighten to fingertip tight. Process jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars from water. Cool, wipe and store

Fruit butters are as good with grilled and roasted meats as they are on your morning bagels. I have made this with pears also and it totally changes the flavor and texture. Both are amazing! They are also a good bit healthier than jams and jellies and the flavors are more intensly fruity. I like this spread best on hot toast with peanut butter...drool...

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I'm enjoying the recipes! We're up to 621 pints so far this summer, apples, pears and soups are waiting in the wings! :D Deer season is getting close too! Maybe another batch of "end of the garden" pickles too! :shock: The maters have slowed down to almost nothing now also.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

hit or miss wrote:I'm enjoying the recipes! We're up to 621 pints so far this summer
I guess that trumps my 3 pints. :oops: :roll: :lol:

But keep those recipes coming. There is always next year.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Thanks! Yeah, I thought I would at least get some green toms out before frost, but not this year. They burnt up pretty bad in theheat and drought... Got enough to can some crushed and some sauce and some soup mix and that was it. I usually have a good bit more than I had this year. Bad year for toms, but great year for okra,peas, beans, beets and fruits. We are swimming in jams and chutneys and butters. GREAT year for peppers I wish I had planted WAY more!

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”