garden5
Super Green Thumb

Found 2 typs of bugs in my squash plant!

2 of my scallop squash plants have died, and when I pulled them up, I noticed that the very base of them stem was soft. I pulled it open and the inside looked like sawdust. Inside the one plan were 3 little black beetles. In the other plant was a whit grub (quite small and thin) with a black head.

Do you think these are the culprits for the dead squash plants? Can anyone give me a hand in identifying them?

Thanks a lot!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Well the grub is the dreaded Squash Vine Borer. "SVB" is their nickname around here. They are responsible for the sawdust lookin stuff. Not sure about black beetles. Did the Beetles have stripes? or were they all black? How little is Little :D ?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

:( Yep... white grub with black head :( SVB. I found a bunch this week too :(

applestar
Mod

The black beetles may be ground beetles. They apparently eat SVB larvae, but only after the vines start to die off, so they're not much help for preventing the damage, though they may finish off the grubs before they can become next generation pests.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Do the SVB also spread powdery mildew? My whole squash patch in infected with it. At least I know this is from the bugs and not the mildew.

Well, it looks like I just had my first encounter with the SVB. Hopefully, the other plants all make it.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Do the SVB also spread powdery mildew? My whole squash patch in infected with it. At least I know this is from the bugs and not the mildew.

Well, it looks like I just had my first encounter with the SVB. Hopefully, the other plants all make it.
My first year too with them sorry to hear about your problems. I now hate them probably as much as you.

I suppose they could spread it but they may just be weakening the plant to were it is more susceptible to disease. Just a guess here.

Good luck

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

seriously though, what is with the SVB this year? I've never had it before either. first time in 5 years! what are they running rampant this year or what?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

It seems like a lot of folks are getting it for the first time this year. Every year it's like there's one particular disease that's prevalent for a lot of gardeners. I think it was the early blight last year that really plagued a lot of tomato gardeners last year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”