TFA303

Why is my squash dying?

I'm growing Boston Marrow winter squash. Last year it did great, and this year it started out great.

The problem is, after the fruits start really growing nicely (even have a few immature 10-15 pounders), the vines turn yellow and brown, shrivel up and die off.

My only thought is that it's something to do with the yard - the vines take off and grow across the grass, and I can't mow under them, so the grass grows up high all around the vines. I don't think it's high enough to obscure the sun, though.

I can supply photos if that'd help. This is killing me, as the squash were some of my best performers last year.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

check around the base of the stem to see if there is some gunky brownish yellowy stuff coming out of it. you may have squash vine borers because that is what happened to mine, looked great then it started dying off slowly and completely died. I had borers in the vine..

TFA303

Oh - that may be it. How do I kill or thwart those beasties?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

to start with try typing squash vine borers (or zucchini root borers) into the Keyword Box that comes up when you click on Search the Forum above. You will find currently 94 matches, with tons of stuff already written here about them.

Sheeshshe is right, that was my first thought from your description as well.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”