LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

My favorite canning recipes

Here is what I do with my excesses. The stuff that no one wants anymore of. If you repurpose them, people tend to look at them differently with interest.

None of the following recipes need to pressure canned, just hot water bathed. They are all super easy and they don't take much time to prepare and preserve (that's why I like them so much :) )

Here is a useful link to help with preparing your canner, jars and lids. Opinions differ, but I have never had a failed recipe by using this method. I've been canning for more than 18 years and I have never had a jar of food spoil on me. My new dishwasher has a sanitize option on it, so I no longer boil my jars, but if you don't have a dishwasher like mine, this works just as well! :()
[url]https://southernfood.about.com/od/canning/qt/canning-jars.htm[/url]

Hot Pepper Jelly
Makes 6 or 7 8oz jars

If you would like a less hot jelly, you can sustitute any amount of the jalapenos with sweet bell peppers, as long as your final chopped pepper amount is equal to 2 cups.

25-30 jalapeno Peppers (2 cups processed)
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
6 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 3oz pouches of liquid pectin
4-5 drops of green food coloring

prepare and sterilize jars and lids

Cut open peppers and remove the ribs, stem and seeds. Place in a food processor and process until finely minced. Measure out 2 cups.
Combine the 2 cups peppers, vinegar, sugar, and salt in your pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir occasionally. Once the mixture has reached a full boil, stir constantly. Boil for 5 minutes. stir in the pectin. Bring back to a boil that you can't stir down. and continue boiling for 1 minute.
Remove from heat. stir and skim off scum from the surface. stir the jelly for another 5 minutes off of the heat. Stir in the food coloring. If you are using red peppers, don't add food coloring.
Pour the jelly into your hot, sterilized jars. Leave 1/4 inch head space. wipe the rims clean. Place sterile lids on jars and tightn bands to hand tight. Process the jars in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

This is irresistable served with cream cheese and toasty crustini or even wheat crackers.
Last edited by LindsayArthurRTR on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Pickled jalapenos
Makes 3-4 pints

5 cups white vinegar (5%)
1 cup water
4 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 pounds fresh jalapeno peppers
2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
1 small onion peeled and sliced into rings

Process jars and lids

Make the brine. Place the vinegar, water, kosher salt, and sugar in a medium (2 quart) non-reactive (stainless or enamel) saucepan or kettle. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, and stir briefly to dissolve the salt and sugar. Cover and keep hot over low heat while you prepare the jalapenos. I like to use a ceramic coated kettle because it makes it easier to pour this over the peppers.

Wash the jalapenos and slice 1/4-inch thick; discard the stem ends. If using the carrot and onion, place 1 or 2 pieces of each in the jar. Pack the jalapeno slices into the sterilized pint jars. 2 pounds of jalapenos should make at least 3 pints; pack the jalapenos tightly, but do not crush them.

Ladle the hot brine over the sliced peppers in the sterilized jars. Clean the rim of the jar with a clean towel and place canning lids securely on jars. Process pints in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Cool and store up to one year.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Zucchini Relish

Makes 5-6 pint jars

10 cups finely chopped unpeeled zucchini
4 cups chopped onion
1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup jalapenos, chopped
3 tablespoons kosher salt
3 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 tablespoon ground turmeric
4 teaspoons celery seed
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Prepare and sterilized jars.

In a large pot, combine zucchini, onion, pepper, chilies and salt; stir well. Chill overnight. Rinse thoroughly; drain. In a large kettle, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Add zucchini mixture; bring back to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. Ladle hot mixture into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. place lids and tighten bands to hand tight. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath

This stuff is KILLER in chicken, tuna, and egg salad!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Tomato Jam

Makes about 5-6 pint jars

7 1/2 pounds good ripe tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
5 cups sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup fresh grated or minced ginger
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
5 jalapenos or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced

Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan, Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.

Prepare and sterilze jars.

Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized jars, wipe rims clean and place lids. Tighten bands to handtight. Process jars for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.

applestar
Mod

Thanks! I'm going to be needing these Jalapeno recipes. I noticed today that they already have at least a dozen fruits on them each, up to 2" long. :shock:

Anaheims have a few and the "Black" peppers (Royal and Czechoslovakian) have 1/2 dozen each. Still waiting on Fish, Aji Dulce, and Tepin.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Watch out...that pepper jelly is addictive.

I will be adding more recipes later.

xray_a

the pickled jalapenos sound great! I'm not much of a pepper person, but my boyfriend asked if we could plant them. They are just now starting to come in, with lots of buds and flowers still to go and I've been wondering what to do with them. And I got my water bath canner in the mail yesterday! woohoo!

Angela

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

YEAH! Us Radiographers...We do good cannin!!!

xray_a

word. My plan for tomorrow is to get some jars, go to a u-pick-em farm for strawberries and make some jam like my gram used to. I hated being stuck inside canning when I was little, but now I wish I had paid more attention!

Angela

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Dill Pickles!!! And these are the best

Makes enough brine to cover cukes in 7 quart sized jars.

Fill the bottoms of 7 sterile quart sized jars with the following:
1 head of fresh dill with some stems(make sure you check them for bugs!)
1 garlic clove per jar
1/2 tsp of peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon of mustard seed
2-3 hot peppers if you want. ripened red ones look GREAT!
1/4 of a carrot cubed (for crispness)

on top of that pack your cucumbers tightly in the jars up to the neck.
I cut the cukes into spears and "stacker" style chips, I grew ashleys this year so that's the kind of cuke I used.

Bring the next ingredients to a rolling boil and pour over the cukes to cover, up to the neck of the jar. Need 1/2" headspace.

8 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup kosher salt

place lids and bands and hand tighten. process in hot water canner for 15 minutes.
The pickles are ready in a few weeks. (well...I can never wait for more than a few days.)

SO freakin good!

You can also pour this brine over green beans to make Dilly beans.
You can also use this recipe with fresh Okra (my personal favorite pickle)
And asparagus...they are ready in 1 week.
And Carrots...

For pepperoncini and banana pepper, leave out the dill and add 2 tbsp of turmeric to the brine when you are bringing it up to boiling.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Thank you for posting Lindsay!

8)

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Welcome! :()

one more little tip when working with the hot peppers, please wear gloves. Touched my lip after I washed my hands and it still burned me for a few hours.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Red Root Relish

Makes 4 pint jars.

4 cups peeled and diced cooked beets or 3 1/2 cups lightly packed shredded beets

4 shredded red cabbage
3 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper(seeds removed)
1TBSP horseradish
1TBSP salt

Prepare canner jars and lids. Here is a link that may be useful for that.
[url]https://southernfood.about.com/od/canning/qt/canning-jars.htm[/url]

In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and boil gently until the mixture is tender and heated through. About 20 minutes.

Ladle hot relish into hot jars. Leave 1/2 inch headspace. remove air bubbles and adjust head space back up to 1/2 inch by adding more relish if needed. WIPE RIMS of jars. Cover rims with lids and place bands to finger tip tight.

Place the jars in the canner ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and maintain boil for 15 minutes.

Turn off heat, remove canner lid and wait for 5 minutes, then remove jars from canner. Cool and Store at room temperature.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Sweet Yellow Tomato Chutney

Makes 9 pint jars

4 cups cider vinegar
9cups cored peeled and chopped granny sith apples or any tart green apple.
12 cups cored peeled yellow tomatoes
3 cups golden raisins
2 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3 hot chiles (your choice) chopped finely (use gloves)
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1/4cup mustard seeds
1 TBSP grated gingerroot
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt

prepare canner jars and lids.

I had to use a HUGE pot for this. Combine all the ingredients in a HUGE pot :lol: . Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Stir constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently for about an hour, or until thick enough to stand in a mound on a spoon.

Ladle hot chutney into hot jars and remove air bubbles. add more chutney until you get 1/2 inch headspace. WIPE RIMS of jars and apply lids and bands to fingertip tight.

Put jars into canner and completely cover lids with water. Bring back to the boil and process for 15 minutes.

Turn off heat and remove canner lid. wait 5 minutes, then remove jars from canner. Cool and store.

This stuff is beautiful! It would make a fantastic addition to gift baskets, And it's so good with grilled chicken and fish, too.

Really REALLY pretty.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Plum Chutney

makes 6 pint jars

16 cups of chopped pitted plums with skins
3 cup packed light brown sugar
3 cups white vinegar
2 cups raisins
1 cup chopped onion
2 TBSP mustard seeds
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt

Prepare canner, jars and lids.

Place all ingredients into a large stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently until think enough to mound on a spoon. about 30-40 minutes.

Ladle hot chutney into hot jars with 1/2 inch headspace, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace to 1/2 inch with more hot chutney.
WIPE RIMS and apply lids and bands to fingertip tight.

Place jars in canner. Ensure jars are completely covered with water. Bring to boil and process for 15 minutes.

Turn off heat and remove canner lid. Wait for 5 minutes. Remove jars, cool and store at room temperature.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

That sounds really good.
Plums are finally dwindling down. I haven't processed them, I just washed them, cut out bad spots and froze them, not even blanched!

And peaches aren't ready, so I get some free time, well sort of... blackberries are also ending. But, the elderberries are beginning to show lots of ripe ones!

I love relishes that go good with beans. I am looking forward to making piccallili if I can find the good recipe that I used for it, before the house fire! I think it is in Ball Blue Book, I need to go look.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

ya, it's in there. pg. 227 in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.

Just got a gallon of local blackberries and made jam with them. I used the powdered pectin jam recipe that came with the pectin. They were the biggest fattest berries I have ever seen and they were so sweet. I almost felt bad for making them into jam and distorting the flavor with all that sugar. I wasn't sure we were going to have enough for 2 batches cause DH and my mom (I would never :roll: :wink: ) kept walking by and sneaking them.

On the same day, from the same vendor I also got a bushel of White Nectar peaches. They are in their prime right now. I made peach chutney and jam with them. I need to go get some more and just can halves and maybe make some pickled peaches. They are popular here in SC, not sure about everywhere else. Peach moonshine is pretty common around here too, but I've never made any of that.

Canned 15 quarts of mixed tomato varieties and 1 quart of just yellow toms last night. Thinkin about making some tomato jam with the next bushel.

Whew!

Got those toms in the dehydrator tonight. Picture documented the whole process, will upload them tomorrow for your inspection! :wink: :()

alenshowbrizz
Newly Registered

Every one just try to make my favourite dill pickles recipe.

4 cloves garlic (more if desired)
1/2 peck 3-inch cucumbers or picklers
hot red cayenne peppers
fresh dill weed (no substitutes)
14 cups water
1 cup canning salt
2 cups vinegar

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Just love this thread, this forum, and you guy's/gals.8)

Just what I need for my first adventures into canning.

Keep them coming. :lol: 8)

Hopefully by this time next year I will be able to add some of my own.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

My tomatoes are just beginning, I have several, but they are far from picking time.
However, my son grew alot of tomatoes, and he is getting overrun. So I got a bucket full last night. I am thinking, before we can eat that many fresh ones they will go bad, so I am getting out the dehydrator and washing it up, guess it goes into action today too!
My camera is out on loan so, no photos..

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Some pictures of this years cannings...

Green beans 8quarts and 12pints, pickles sliced and chunks 15pints. I've given some away at this point, but more to come. Second plantings are getting ready to boom.
[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff250.jpg[/img]

from left to right, 7pints peach chutney, 11pints peach jam, 9pints blackberry jam
[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff249.jpg[/img]

15 quarts of mixed crushed tomatoes and yellow tomatoes.
[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff239.jpg[/img]

15 pints of sliced and chunked pickled cukes.
[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff159.jpg[/img]

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Wow, you have been busy.
My cucumbers are just getting to true leaf stage, as is the zuchini.
I guess that I had better get some dill planted!

I can't make pickles that are edible, but I can do relishes that work okay, some are as bad as the pickles, so I am not big on pickles or relishes, I just have little success with so many of them. And because of this I only grow a few cucumbers, and not in a hurry to do it.

I need to add that I simply do not like kosher, or bread and butter pickles, I don't care for the flavors or textures. So they may have turned out fine, I just couldn't get anyone to eat them. But, we don't buy them either, since we just don't like them.

And with that said, I don't do pickles, just a few relishes.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I got LOADS of compliments on the jars that I sent out. Many ate them all in one or more days and are begging for more jars. My pickle recipe is a special one.(I shouldn't say my recipe because the old lady next door FINALLY gave it to me, after many years of begging and gifts in the form of veggies, fresh baked bread, and homemade cake squares and countless afternoons of hot tea. I had to bribe it out of her. That and maybe she realized it would die with her if she didn't share. She's in her 90's) It won a blue ribbon at the county and state fair every time she entered it. It really is good. It really is as simple as canning gets. Just cut, stuff, pour, and process, and wait! The type of cuke is important to texture. Pickling cukes work best IMO, though I made these with strait 8's and ashley's. I picked them small and young. They aren't mushy, quite crisp :() Younger cukes make crisper pickles. Just try it with one jar and discard the left over brine. That way you can try it with out wasting so many cukes.

Bread and butter pickles make me gag...but my DH LOVES them. So I make them for him. I haven't made any sweet pickles yet this year, but I will be making zucchini relish. It is a bit sweet, but I LOVE it in tuna, egg and chicken salad. It's also really good mixed with mayo for a quick tartar sauce on salmon patties and I like a spoonful of the relish stirred into oyster stew in the winter. Now I'm starving :()

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

The only cukes that I planted were Armenian burpless, I have seeds for the others, and have plenty of growing time left. Maybe I should try some pickling types too.

But, first I need to grow them... :roll:

I think that I need to plant some squash other than zuchini also, since I have alot of those seeds too.

And I have 4 beds that are ready for succession. 2 shouldn't be, but the brassicas and potatoes both succumbed to bugs.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Great thread! I'm hitting the pickles hard right now. So far I've picked 55 pounds of cukes from 4 hills. :shock: I have 2 buckets of fermented deli dills going and put a gallon jar of lacto fermented dills in today to brine. Did a batch of hot mix, experimental so I'm not too sure about that recipe yet. Put in a batch of lime soaked sweet pickles today, they'll get canned up tomorrow.

The first bucket of deli dills has been soaking 2 weeks now, I just had to have a sample today, awesome! :D Nice and crisp, tangy with a little spicey heat to them.

I need to make bread and butters yet for DW, I'm not necessarily a big fan of them but she likes them.

I about forgot, I also made a batch of sliced dills too.

Lacto Fermented Dills

5 pounds of small cucumbers, unwaxed and unwashed. (fresh & crisp!) (2 to 4 inches long)
1/2 head organic garlic
3 dried sprigs of dill weed with heads
3 grape leaves or cherry leaves (optional)
1 cup unrefined sea salt
4 quarts water (filtered)
6 peppercorns (optional)
1 gallon glass jar or crock (Medalta crock # 3 will hold 5 to 10 lbs. of cukes)

Organic lactic acid fermented pickles

Organic Lactic Acid Fermented Pickles MORE PHOTOS

Soak (but do not scrub) cucumbers in very cold water for 5 minutes.Use hands to loosen any dirt.

Scald a very clean glass jar with boiling water. Place a grape leaf at the bottom and arrange cucumbers vertically in layers, inserting garlic cloves and dill weed here and there. Do not pack tightly.

Add salt to filtered or spring water and stir and dissolve. Pour brine over cucumbers and add peppercorns.

Cover with leaves and a plate and place in a cool, dark place to ferment.(Long cool fermentation creates the best tasting and best keeping dill pickles. Cover with lead-free ceramic plate and river rock on top. Cover the plate and rock with 2 inches of brine (water and sea salt). The cucumbers need to be completely submerged and weighed down, under plate and stone.

After 1 week, the cucumbers will be semi cured; some prefer them that way. However, it is only after 3-4 weeks that they become fully cured pickles (without pale areas, completely translucent green). Once a week scoop the scum (kahm yeast) that forms on top, and discard (unless you are using a Harsch crock pot that has a clever patented airlock water gutter, that prevents the scum from forming).

Pickles may be placed in smaller jars that are more convenient for storage. Scald 3 or 4 quart jars, pour off and strain pickling juice (discarding garlic and dill weed). Transfer pickles, fill quart jars with strained liquid, cover, and refrigerate.

The juice, or kvas, is never thrown out; it is used as a base for soups, borsch, or even salad dressing.

Naturally fermented pickles will keep easily for a whole year (they acquire more taste as they age). In the middle of winter they will light up your tastebuds and provide delicious fixin's for sandwiches, and keep your digestion happy.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaannnnng!

Now YOU'VE been busy!!! LOL!

Thanks for the recipe! I'm not brave enough to try this method yet. :shock: Definitely Skeered! But certainly interested.
The only cukes that I planted were Armenian burpless
I just planted some Armenian Yard-Long Cukes and also some asian seedless. I've never planted them before, but they seem fun and showy.

Are these armenians the same as yours?

EDIT: it also says on the package that both types are great for pickles?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I just looked them up, with the vendor, looks like they could very well be:
Armenian Cucumber
Long pale green, Thin skin no need to peel.

Planting: Plant 3-4 seeds 1" deep every 4'. To have cucumbers sooner start indoors about 4 weeks earlier than you could plant them outdoors, in 3" pots, 3-4 seeds per pot. Transplant a week after last frost and be careful not to disturb roots when transplanting. 60 Day.

That is all it says about it, not sure where I got the burpless, maybe on another cucumber that I have?

My hubby loves cucumbers, just raw, but they don't love him. I have cast iron digestion so none of them bother me.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

This one is awesome too!

Deli Dills

3/4 cup pickling spice
2-3 bunches of fresh dill, I use lots
10 pounds pickling cucumbers, trim the blossom end off about an 1/8 inch
1 1/2 cups pickling salt
2 cups vinegar, I use cider vinegar
16 cups water
6 garlic cloves, you can never have too much garlic!

In a large clean crock, glass or stainless steel container (I use buckets), place half the pickling spice and one bunch of dill. Add cucumbers, leaving at least 4 inches of space between cucumbers and the rim of the container.

In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine pickling salt, vinegar and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve salt. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

Ladle pickling brine over cucumbers to cover. Place remaining dill and remaining pickling spice over the top of the cukes. Add garlic. Place a large clean inverted plate on top of the cucumbers and weigh down with two or three quart jars filled with water and capped. Cover with a clean heavy towel. Let stand in a cool place (70 to 75 degrees) for about 3 weeks, until cucumbers are well flavored with dill and clear throughout. Every day, remove any scum that has formed. During fermentation, gas bubbles will form. When bubbling ceases, fermentation is complete.

Stage 2
Prepare jars etc.

Drain pickles, reserving the brine. Set pickles aside. Strain brine into a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes.

Pack pickles into hot jars to within a generous 1/2 inch of top of the jar. Ladle hot pickling liquid into jar to cover the pickles, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar and screw the band down finger tight.

Place jars in canner. Bring to a boil and process for 15 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I picked the Armenian because it says they have a flavor and texture closer to honeydew melon! I will be interesting!!! I can't wait to swap stories!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Wickles
Wicked Hot Zucchini Pickles

Makes 8 pints (wide mouth jars are prefered but I only had 1 so I used regular mouth jars too)

[img]https://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/LindsayArthurRTR/gardenandhousestuff255.jpg[/img]

14 cups of Zucchini (spears or chunks or sliced) I remove the seeds and seed pith
1/2 cup kosher salt
Cool water

Layer zucchini with salt in a bowl or clean sink. Just cover, with cool water. Let stand for 2 hours.

6 cups white vinegar
4 cups granulated sugar
4 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp celery seeds
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp pickling spice (optional)
3 hot ripe peppers (optional)

Bring the above 7 ingredients to a boil in a very large non-reactive pot. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. During that time drain, rinse, and re-drain the zucchini pieces. After 5 minutes of simmering the brine, add the zucchini and stir to coat. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.

Prepare canner, jars, and lids.

Pack the zucchini into jars tightly, but don't crush them. Bring the syrup back up to boiling and boil for 5 more minutes. Pour the hot syrup into the filled jars to 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust the syrup back up to 1/2 inch headspace. WIPE RIMS and place lids and bands to fingertip tight.

Place in canner with water completely covering the jars. Bring water back to the boil and process for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.

These are a sweet but tart pickle and they are spicy. Not like a bread and butter pickle, they are more sour and have a bit of a mustardy flavor. I used zucchini, but you can substitute cucumbers. This is a great way to use up mass quantities of squash and zucchini from the garden. And wear rubber gloves while you are packing your pickles otherwise, you'll have yellow stained fingers :()

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Tomato Sauce

NEEDS PRESSURE CANNED

Makes 6 pints

60 Roma tomatoes, halved and seeded (about 19 pounds ;) )
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pepper
3 cups finely diced onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic (optional)
3 tablespoon finely chopped oregano leaves (optional)
3 tablespoon finely chopped thyme leaves(optional)
3 cup white wine

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

If you want an italian style sauce use the herbs, if you just want a plain tomato sauce you can omit the garlic and herbs, but still use the onion.

In 2 (13 by 9-inch) pans place tomato halves cut side up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, onion, garlic, and herbs. Bake tomatoes for 2 hours. Check the tomatoes after 1 hour and turn down the heat if they seem to be cooking too quickly.

Prepare canner, jars, and lids.

Then turn the oven to 400 degrees and bake another 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and process tomatoes through a food mill on medium dye setting over a large saucepan. Discard skins. Add white wine, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. cook less for a thinner sauce and longer for a thicker sauce.

Ladle hot sauce into hot jars. leave a 1 inch headspace. Remove bubbles and adjust headspace back to 1 inch with more sauce. WIPE RIMS with a paper towel dipped in vinegar to remove any food partices. Place lids and bands on jars and tighten to fingertip tight.

Place jars in canner and adjust water to 2-3 inches up the side of the jars. Jars do not need to be covered with water. Lock lid into place and bring them to boiling. Let the pot steam vent for 10 minutes then place 10 pound weight onto vent. When the weight starts rocking reduce heat to maintain roacking and start time. Process for 15 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.

When time is up, turn off heat. do not remove weight until rocking has stopped. Remove the weight once it stops rocking. When steam stops and pressure is normalized, remove the canner lid. Let jars sit for 5 minutes, then remove from the canner. Cool, check for seal, then wipe jars clean and store.
Last edited by LindsayArthurRTR on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That what I need Lindsay.

So how many pounds roughly would 60 romas be? My romas aren't doing so well. But I have others I was going to use.

Another question do you go and pick 60 romas at a time or pick them here and there and freeze them till you have enough?

By the way that was a pretty good job at explaining all the necessary steps including the canning process.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I have 12 roma plants, Well 6 amish paste and six of another plum variety, so I have no trouble getting 60 of em.

I just weighed like 6 of them and they averaged 5 ounces. Sooooo...

5oz x 60 tomatoes=300oz of tomatoes.

300 oz of tomatoes / 16 oz per pound=18.75 pounds of tomatoes.

Soooo...If my calculations are correct (I hope) you'll need about 19 pounds of tomatoes for this recipe. which just so happenes to fill up a half bushel basket!

I would not freeze them. The ice crystals produced during freezing will pierce the cell membranes. When you thaw them, you'll have a watery, mushy mess. I would refridgerate them until you have enough to use :()

I would definitely substitute other types of tomatoes, so long as you have the same poundage of tomatoes! Yellow tomatoes would make a beautiful sauce!!! Acidity is not an issue here, because you're pressure canning.

Thank You Gixx :()

EDIT!!! and that is pounds of WHOLE tomatoes.

applestar
Mod

I think my Jalapenos have enough peppers on them to start thinking about that [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=146051#146051]Hot Pepper Jelly[/url]. I won't have 20~30, but I could maybe manage 10~15. But I had a thought -- right now, I have a lot of green apples on my Enterprise Apple tree (ripens late Sept~early Oct) . Could I use some green apples instead of pectin? Or is this the kind of substitution you shouldn't attempt? What if I don't can it but keep in the fridge and eat within a couple of weeks?

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

IDK. I wouldn't keep them at room temp that way, but I would DEFINITELY do it and keep it in the fridge :() It may change the flavor! Which is AWESOME! You could substitute green or red bell peppers. And you might have bigger peppers than me, so your 10-15 peppers might make 2 cups of chopped peppers! You could substitute any pepper or chile for the jalapenos so long as your final chopped pepper amount is 2 cups. I usually don't make it with all jalapenos, cause it is HOT AS HELL! I usually do one cup chopped japs and 1 cup chopped bells.

If you use the apples you may have to cook the junk out of them, which may also change the flavor of the final product.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm saving up jalapenos for jelly myself. Too bad this is the first year I only planted one instead of a bunch. So let us know how it goes Apple if you get there before me.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I only have 2 plants that made it, but they are loaded! and many are turning red!!! I am going to use only ripe jalapenos and ripe bells for my jelly! I will omit the green food coloring, too. It should make for a beautiful spread!

gardengrl3

I know this may be a crazy question to ask but can I reuse spaghetti jars for canning my tomato sauce? I only would like to make about 4-5 jars worth of sauce and I would use it within a few months time. I probably won't be canning anything so that is why I would like to recycle these jars that I have. Any advice? :?

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I would not suggest that :( . The seals of the lids may not seal properly, being that they were previously used. It could make you or your family very VERY sick. I would use Ball, Kerr or Mason jars, lids and bands only for long term, room temperature storage. I always use new lids everytime! I'm sure there are some differing opinions on this matter. I watched my grandmother make grape jelly in mt. olive pickle jars for years, but she would always keep them in the fridge, and not at room temperature. Which IMHO kinda defeats the purpose of canning. :roll: If you are going to use it up relatively quickly, I would suggest freezing it in ziptop bags.

Canning Jars come in all sizes and can be reused as long as you use new lids. They are also relatively inexpensive compared to disposable ziptop freezer bag costs accumulated over years. Canning is super easy to do and it's a super cost effective preserving method compared to freezing. If you buy 12 jars, you can fill them and reuse them forEVER as long as they don't chip or crack :() You do need new lids every year, but the bands can be reused too!

applestar
Mod

Some commercial sauces come in what looks like canning jars and the regular canning jar lids and bands fit them. I wonder if those could be re-used if you buy new lids and bands.... Before I started buying organic pasta sauces, that was the kind I used to buy, and I still use the old jars (and the old screw on lids) for dry goods storage.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”