engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

My contribution to the forum

It may sound silly, but I'm pretty bummed out right now. Most of the time, I get the feeling that when I contribute my thoughts or experience to someones' ply for help with their garden in this forum, it's barely even taken into consideration. I know - pretty silly, but that's just the way I feel. :(

EG

webmaster
Site Admin

It can feel that way sometimes but that's not necessarily the case. I reviewed some of your most recent posts and there's a lot of good info there and members appreciating the feedback.

It does bug me when people don't say thank you, but sometimes it's because some members are away from the forum, not because they're being rude.

pepper4
Green Thumb

No, don't be bummed or feel it's silly because I feel that way sometimes only because in my case I am relatively new at this. Second year. Dispite that I try to pass on some advice that I've gotten from people like yourself in hopes I help someone. :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Aw, EG! I sometimes feel the same way. As others have pointed out, you aren't alone. Some people appreciate the effort another person has made to help them, and they say "Thank You." But there are always people who just think the world owes them, too. It's just human nature.

applestar
Mod

It's always nicer to KNOW that you're appreciated, but sometimes, you'll see later on that they did listen and take your advice. Sometimes, you just have to read between the lines. :wink:

It's when you take the time to compose a careful reply about something you have a fairly significant experience about, and a newcomer -- who SAID they don't know anything and are asking questions -- flat out say, "no that's not it" or "no, that won't work" and they are so intent on getting the answer that they WANT to hear that they ignore your comments to ask other questions that become meaningless in the context given -- that's when you have to take a deep breath, count silently to 10, say to yourself, "OK. Whatever...." and move on. :wink:

Most of the time, I feel good that I've documented a meaningful recommendation that will help SOMEBODY.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

It happens a LOT. Unfortunately.

When it happens, I tell myself that my real audience is most likely those people who drop in on the forum but aren't registered members; the people too shy or reluctant to register, but who are looking for answers. We've probably helped--what? hundreds? thousands??--of these people, and we'll never know it, b/c they just don't check in.

But they're there. Every now and then someone does join the forum, saying something like, "I've been lurking for months [years...] and really love what I've read..."

So that helps a lot.

But, in the meantime, it can get discouraging. When I first joined, I spent a LOT of time looking up answers re. hydrangeas b/c I needed to know some stuff, too. I wrote some very long posts (the kind that take 30+ minutes to compose) and never even heard back on whether the plant(s) survived. :x I was where you are now, I think: a member for a month or two, working my tail off to help others.

Just keep in mind the unseen readers; the Webmaster keeps track of how many visitors there are to the site, and it's vastly more than the number who post. (I don't have specifics.) And those of us who read almost everything *do* enjoy reading your posts! Thank you for sharing your expertise! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

If it helps, I was thinking of your post and video, engineeredgarden, when I squished a stinkbug against the trellis with my pruner this morning. :twisted: :wink:

lorax
Greener Thumb

I feel your pain, EG. The same thing happens to me, too - although a bit less so on this forum because a) I'm relatively new here, and b) fewer of you grow the plants about which I'm really knowledgable.

However, here I'm often left with the feeling that I am become the killer of threads.... :( I feel like I've probably had the very last word on a number of topics that were interesting to me, where I was hoping more discussion would occur. I'm hoping it's because people are out in their gardens rather than planted in front of their computers, and not because I'm being off-putting.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Thanks everybody, that makes me feel better about it. Ya know - I've come to realize something...I haven't asked a single question of the group here, but certainly need to always keep learning. I'll try to think of something to ask.
I really try my best to give the most thoughtful and informative answer to someone's question, but nobody can be correct all the time, either. I understand that. Most of my information comes from that which is supported by the many agricultural universities throughout the country, and alot of times isn't accepted by the average backyard gardener.

A simple "thank you" from someone that you've helped is nice to hear, and I understand that alot of people are just blowing through - then gone. I've been here long enough to know that there are alot of intelligent, friendly gardeners present, and that's why I'm here - to help and also learn from others.

Applestar - that's funny! I'm known as the destroyer of garden insects..hehe.

EG

applestar
Mod

:lol: Lorax, that's because one can only say "WOW" and "AMAZING" so many times before feeling like more should be said... and not knowing how or what. Believe me, your impressive posts are making a big impression. I know I'll think of more things to say after I begin to integrate what you are saying and correlating them with what's happening in my own garden.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Applestar, I've always maintained that even people in nothern Canada can grow many of the same things I do. All it takes is a bit of research and a bit more determination. I actually have a friend on the Jersey Shores who grows more bananas than I do! Believe it or not, my highland garden is probably more challenging to work in than the gardens I grew up in, in USDA Zone 2a.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

However, here I'm often left with the feeling that I am become the killer of threads.... I feel like I've probably had the very last word on a number of topics that were interesting to me, where I was hoping more discussion would occur. I'm hoping it's because people are out in their gardens rather than planted in front of their computers, and not because I'm being off-putting.
That's exactly how I feel! I'm a conversational topic killer!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I am in several forums.
And in every single one, not just here, I think, wow, I am so different than them.
I just don't "see" things like they do... I don't fit in, why bother?

But you know, in real life, I have gardening friends, I have tea party friends, and I have Christian friends. If I mix them up and try to talk one of the other subjects to them, I have a terrible audience, they argue or are bored and "gotta go". :roll:

I think it is the same in forums. We all garden, but we don't all compost, we all garden, but maybe not the same things or the same way.
And some days it just depends on who is online for whether your like-minded folks will be there or not.

Also, this happens to me. When I check the new posts, if something happens and I click the wrong time, I lose all the newer posts, and I don't see it, unless someone posts on it. So, you may post something, fantastic and if I goof, I will not see it, unless someone posts... my fault not yours. I wish the new posts would stay until read, or 24 hours or something, so I can't mess up and not see them! :roll: :oops:

Some days, it is just like that, in any forum, it is like you say "Hi everyone!" and they get silent, or they keep talking without acknowledging your greeting. I guess that is just the downside to forums.

I try to read every post, but I don't respond to them all, because, no time, and sometimes it just isn't an area that I know anything about, or I am pressed for time, etc.

For instance, we have now, had our first tomato, a cherry one called Risentraube, first fruit on July 21st. I was excited, but folks here have been harvesting for months, that was my only harvest to date for 2010 other than seeds for 2011. So, I was excited, but others didn't share it, even my sons have been harvesting for months, and I started the garden first! No idea why everything was slow, died out, or bug eaten... just a bad year? I don't know. But someday, I will have alot of tomatoes, cause I see lots and lots of flowers... And I think tonight we will each get a Risentraube for supper! yeah!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I like your post but don't have time to reply to everything. Plus just posting to post clogs up the forum. Or maybe it's just something I don't feel compelled to reply about but have taken in info. Or maybe I don't have enough new info to make it worth while, again with clogging up the forum.This goes not just for you but the forum as a whole.

The way I see it if someone has said it better than I can why should I waste everybody's time and bandwidth with just repeating the same thing. Though sometimes that is needed.

It happens, it has happened to me several times. No biggie just move on.

I do like your post.

And in case I haven't said it recently...

Thank You.

Dono

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I do a lot more reading than posting and many of you have given me some very good information. If I ask a question I try to reply back to let you know how it worked out and to show my thanks for your help but some times I miss doing this.
Some times I see a question has been answered better than I could or some one has already said what I would say so I do not post a reply to a question.

I some times feel I take more than I give, so thanks every one for being so helpful.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

engineeredgarden, you could try posting more things like I post but you'll get letters from Webmaster :shock:

I think I'm on his email speed dial. :wink:

FWIW, this is the best sight I've found for garden help as well as a place with an unbelievably diverse and talented group. I don't know anything so I expect thanks rarely. It's called the maintenance of a positive attitude through low expectation.

Underachieving is way underrated.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

I always do my best to say thank you or express my happiness that I got a answer from someone, even if it is a thankyou ahead of time.

A lot of the time once I have gotten a clear answer to something and am no longer confused about the topic I feel that it would be a good place to end the topic... infact there are many of my own topics that I end myself lol (perhaps people just get tired of the topic lmfao )

As an example, as of late I've been getting a lot of great information on my topics from "Lorax" in fact I'm almost positive that lorax makes a point of it to answer every single one of my topics. How lorax finds all my various topics is beyond me "STALKER!! :shock: " LOL jk jk <3 Your awesome Lorax Keep it up, I love getting answers from you :) But really sometimes I'm not sure when to end the conversation myself and so Instead of replying I just let the person who replied to me be the last post. ( I didn't realize this was a bad thing ;p )

So really I'm sure a lot of us don't mean to do things the way we do or perhaps we are just in a hurry or aren't online at the time ( time zones have a lot to do with it I've noticed ) Don't feel bad I'm sure we've all been there. We should all take note of this fact and try harder to show our appreciation to each other :p

And now... I'm gunna go make sure that I've said thankyou in every single one of my posts :wink: :flower:
Last edited by BewilderedGreenyO.o on Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lorax
Greener Thumb

LOL! I'm totally not stalking you, it's just that I happen to know the answers to your most recent couple of questions. :lol: You can call me Beth if it's less wierd.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Well your information is very much appreciated :D Thank You Beth :) Keep em' coming :D

Susan W
Greener Thumb

EG, it can get frustrating, and then some rewards.
FWIW, I read your posts. All good, don't get me wrong. But for me not much direct helpful. I am a very LO-Tech gardener.
Also. FWIW, been in the garden center business (employee, not responsible person!), so have some knowledge. I have suggested more plantings and flowers for deck pots, front or back gardens, you name it.
As for my own garden, trial and error, my mantra. If I would devote more time to the flower (perennial) beds would be outstanding. But, working on this herb thing.
You are from NW AL? This area is awesome for growing anything you want. It is said you can put a stick in the ground and it will sprout. I travel through there on Hi 78 several times a year going to Ft Toulouse, Wetumpka AL. Is beautiful (spare any stretches through Jasper)

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Susan - yes, it's a good place to garden, but the bugs are horrible! I got in 3 different crops last year, but really had to be aggressive with the plantings to achieve this. Cabbage, corn, then squash in the same spot....

Charlie - that is too funny!

EG

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Lorax, are you the same Lorax I used to PM when I first joined? If not, there is a "The Lorax who is as knowledgeable as are you. She posted a lot about permacultutre and restoring land to the way it was hundreds of years ago.

If you are the same, did you quit and rejoin the forum. I seem to remember looking up Lorax and it was a Dr Seuss character.

engineeredgarden, I'm not saying that you can easily post things as stupid as do I but with practice, anything is possible.

Webmaster has rebuked me a few times but he at least admitted that he was laughing when he did it. If people laugh, my work is successful.

I'm a life long mariner recently turned gardener. I used to laugh at people who couldn't handle their boats and call them farmers. Now people here call me a sailor for the same reason.

Whether you're docking a 40 footer in a 60 mile an hour wind or trying to keep your corn standing up it's about the same skill.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That was TheLorax... this lorax is different.

EG... you will make yourself very unhappy if you start taking it personally that people don't come back to say thanks. When I make suggestions like try this or this or this, I usually say "let us know what you tried and how it worked out for you." Almost never has that happened. Too bad, because it would increase our store of knowledge... People are just zipping thru wanting a quick answer... Except for a lot of us regulars who just love to talk about gardening (and talk and talk ....)

lorax
Greener Thumb

Charlie, I'm a different Lorax, although you're right about it originally being the name of a Dr. Seuss character. His Lorax spoke for trees, as they have no voices of their own to protest how they're treated. The name has come to be used for conservationists, particularly those interested in forest management and restoration. :D I carry the name because that's pretty much bang-on one of my job descriptions, and because my Loraxness is the main reason that I get to live in paradise.

specgrade

engineeredgarden wrote:It may sound silly, but I'm pretty bummed out right now. Most of the time, I get the feeling that when I contribute my thoughts or experience to someones' ply for help with their garden in this forum, it's barely even taken into consideration. I know - pretty silly, but that's just the way I feel. :(

EG
Sorry.

Only one person replied to my introduction. I kinda felt bad about that :?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

To EG and all the other gardeners who have responded to my inquires over the last few hundred posts, THANK YOU!

I guess I am an oddball. I never think of who has or has not responded. I really enjoy conversing with people, but I suppose I treat hobby forums as extended encyclopedias. I furnish the limited knowledge I posses and ask for knowledge from other people. I enjoy kidding people while we are transferring information and enjoy it even more when they give me a hard time. I even enjoy the occasional rebuke from the web master. I never take anything personal, but probably should. I have a very simple philosophy about watching television and surfing the internet. If I don't like it, I can change channels or turn it off.

I also really enjoy these non gardening threads because we can discuss subjects not related to gardening.

I am also a Christian conservative who believes most of us live in the greatest country on earth. Would anyone like to start a friendly argument in a new thread? :D (that should at least get a response from the webmaster)

Ted
Last edited by tedln on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

specgrade

tedln wrote: I am also a Christian conservative who believes we live in the greatest country on earth. Would anyone like to start a friendly argument in a new thread? :D (that should at the least get a response from the webmaster)

Ted
Oh lord :shock: :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you were to start that thread, it would indeed get a response from webmaster! We keep this a nice, caring, pleasant community of gardeners by focusing on what unites us (gardening) not what divides us (religion and politics, for example!). Please continue this tradition!

I don't know the numbers (webmaster might, I'm not sure), but I'm not convinced our Forum membership is at this point majority US-American (or majority anything else). We have a LARGE contingent from the UK, many Canadians, some Europeans, quite a few Aussies, and a few from almost any place in the world you care to name. When you add all that up, I would think the US Americans are the most numerous of any country, but not necessarily the majority.

So I'm not sure who WE refers to, but I expect most all of us think we live in the greatest country on earth, because everyone likes to think that about their country and every country on earth is blessed with natural beauty and wonders.

webmaster
Site Admin

Would anyone like to start a friendly argument in a new thread?
Oh geez, I'm getting baited left and right in this thread. :lol:

It really pleases me to have people of all walks of life on this forum. If ever someone doesn't feel comfortable let me know, I want to hear about it. Many of the changes and improvements are due to member feedback.

;)

Dixana
Greener Thumb

If ever I don't reply or say thanks for something it's probably due to the fact that the only internet I have is via my blackberry. It takes me significantly longer to "text" a reply than it would type one given my 65+ wpm typing skills. I have also dropped my phone in the dogs water dish and my space key is very fickle ever since.....:oops:
But I'm loving this forum and all the people on it so all is well :)
I should also say EG that my phone won't load video so there's a lot your posts that I cannot see :(
On another note, I rather like the rules of the forum here. I'm a blunt, opinionated person. Many people in the "real" world don't like me and/or think I'm rude, among other things, because I speak my mind, have a touch of a potty mouth, and tell it how it is regardless of feelings. (I am NOT the friend you ask if you want to know if your jeans make you look fat if they do...) You guys don't see it cuz lovely people here keep me in check so no one here has a chance to hate me for it :lol:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Dixana,

If you are opinionated, I love you. I love people with strong opinions even when they disagree with me. I respect and enjoy people who are willing to stand up for their beliefs. Rainbowgardener is right when he says a gardening forum is not the place to discuss some subjects, but it is always nice to know people who are opinionated.

Ted

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

specgrade wrote:
tedln wrote: I am also a Christian conservative who believes we live in the greatest country on earth. Would anyone like to start a friendly argument in a new thread? :D (that should at the least get a response from the webmaster)

Ted
Oh lord :shock: :wink:
The lord has nothing to do with it but Webmaster will. :lol:

Seriously though, I'm glad the Lorax thing is cleared up. TheLorax tolerated me but I don't think she suffered fools gladly. Wonder how long I can fool Lorax.

And Tedlin, I'm a Christian fiscal conservative social liberal and I would like to see a full sized picture of those dogs in your avatar. They make me laugh. They may also be relatives.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I hope your not related to my hill billy buddies. That could make us cousins.

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/Family/Hillbillydogs1.jpg[/img]

Ted

Dixana
Greener Thumb

:lol: :lol: :lol: I have never noticed the dogs in your avatar had hillbilly teeth. It's hilarious!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Definitely relatives.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Your dog photo was to small for me to see them, did you make that photo.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:Definitely relatives.
Hi cuz!

Nope, didn't make it. I acquired it. Wish I could say I am that good with Photoshop. I am good, but nowhere near that good.

Ted

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Ted, that's aunt Sarah in the middle. Can you work up a family tree and break it to her that the SC part of the clan are social liberals and refuse to hunt anymore?

They aren't hillbillies either. They're swamp dwellers. The teeth are a dead giveaway.

Send them our love and many wags.

Later back at ya cuz.

Now the rumors will all start again...

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Nope, the teeth are indicative of the southern contingent of our family. We eat a lot of corn on the cob. With teeth like that, all you have to do is spin the cob and the corn just pops into your mouth. Most of the southern contingent would like to be social liberals, but that pesky constitution just keeps getting in the way. :shock: :roll:

Aunt Sarah said to tell you hi.
Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Hi cuz,
I'm dropping you just a short note to ask you to keep aint Sarah on your mind. You member aint Sarah doncha. She’s the one who told me to tell you hi in my last note. Well Sarahs been under the weather a little. Seems she got a real bad case of those fleas and ticks. I noticed her scratching a lot, but didn't think nothing bout it till they got all over me. I had to kick her out of the bed cause those things make me itch. I got some of that lye soap that cousin maude makes and washed Sarah twice real good. Maude got a little to much lye in her last batch of lye soap and all of Sarah’s hair fell off. She looks kinda funny, but the heat aint bothering her much. She does have little bumps all over her from those fleas and ticks, so I bought her a quart of that calomine lotion and smeared it all over her. Shes doing better but she just wants to lay on the floor and watch cspan all the time. it's driving me crazy cause I keep having to adjust that aluminum foil on the tv antenna so she can get a good picture. Youd think once that foil was adjusted, it would stay adjusted.
Well, I'll letcha go. I just wanted to ask you to think about aint Sarah. Were always thinking bout you and yours.
Cousin Ted

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”