Rosaelyn

Rosemary Woes...

I cannot keep one of these alive. :( My most recent one looked fine for about two weeks and then it proceeded to crisp up to a pile of droopy, dried leaves.

I read that they like to stay on the drier side, and so I was monitoring it very diligently with a moisture meter to make sure I did not over water, and that still didn't save it.

And to try and keep it happy, I even had it under a plant light.

Does anyone know a trick to making Rosemary happy? I'm totally on the wrong wavelength with these, it seems. :(

Rosaelyn

I got it as a "clearance" plant from a greenhouse reducing their stock for the fall. I do not know what the cultivar was.

Is there a specific cultivar that would do well as an indoor bonsai? That was my ultimate goal, but she didn't survive that long. :oops:

Thnx for the reply.

Rosaelyn

Yes, the plus side... Before the Rosemary died, I had the opportunity to make some wonderful steamed vegetables and oven baked chicken with it. :lol:

Susan W
Greener Thumb

My experience has been that some rosemary starts make, and some just don't! Now I am in a different climate than you in MI, and have the plant outside. There is one huge one by the front curb. That area is well drained, sunny, and the bush just gets bigger. I trim it back with clippers and loppers. I am sure the roots go to China. I am always fearful something will happen, and put in a start in another garden. Seeing it do, I moved it out of the bed, and to an odd spot in the yard. We'll see if it survives this unusually long wet spell.
I potted up another from the garden center for my son. It is still at my house and alive, and again see how it fares this wet weather. If it is still kicking come spring, I'll get it to his place; otherwise start over! As it is in a pot, may pull it up close to the house on the deck for more even temps.

Meanwhile I have had some that just don't make it.

Where you are, I presume you pot one in the spring and have it in a good sunny location, water as needed. Then come fall bring it in. I could be wrong, but haven't seen any indoors year 'round.

Sorry, been rambling on about one of my faves! Even in winter it is a pleasure to walk by and brush the leaves for that distinct fragrance.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In Michigan you are probably zone 5. I don't think you are going to have any luck with leaving rosemary outdoors, mulch, south facing or whatever. Just too cold!

Here's a nice little article about growing herbs indoors, with some good tips about rosemary:

https://www.richters.com/newdisplay.cgi?page=MagazineRack/Articles/GrowingHerbsIndoors.html&cart_id=111.100

It points out that if you are bringing it in from outdoors, it needs to be gradually acclimatized from full sun. Also that it will need supplemental lighting once indoors.

Rosaelyn

Maybe I will wait until spring to try again. See if I can keep one alive outside, before I try and bring it indoors. heh :oops:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have a rosemary plant which I started from seed in January. It's now a nice little plant, bushy and maybe 8" tall and I recently brought it in for the winter. Too soon yet to tell how it's doing, except it doesn't seem to have suffered much from the move. Let you know in spring if it makes it through the winter :? . Keeping my fingers crossed, because they are slow growing and starting over from seed every year doesn't get you a lot of rosemary!

Rosaelyn

Good luck with wintering your Rosemary, rainbowgardener. :)

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Rosemary roots very easily, but doesn't like to be transplanted. I'd guess the original poster's rosemary was stressed from the big box store treatment and quite probably did not have the root development it needed.

I can grow it year round where I live and don't cover it during our infrequent frosts. My rosemary in a terra cotta pot has been in the same pot for ten years, was in the ground for a few years before that. It's had a few bad times including an extended drought which killed half of it, but it's thriving again. Blooming now, actually.

It can be trimmed radically, and is often pruned to a small Christmas tree shape and decorated with bows or balls at that season. I'd hesitate to move it too much, such as outdoors to indoors to outdoors again because of the huge differences in humidity and temperature.

Good luck with it.

It's a wonderful note to add to fresh cooked greenbeans with maybe a little white pepper. The Bubble Room on Captiva Island does their green beans that way. [url]https://www.bubbleroomrestaurant.com/frameset.html[/url] That's a really annoying Flash site, but The Bubble Room is a Florida landmark.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have a place in my yard that is full of gravel left over from when the house was built. The poor soil has lots of clay and sand too. I tilled in several 3.8 cu ft bales of peat moss but it did not help nothing much will grow here but my herbs. It is extremely dry too and every thing I plant here dies except for the herbs. My Rosemary is doing great here.

I planted sweet potatoes here this year. 4 plants made 20 lbs of potatoes. Best sweet potatoes I ever grew.

applestar
Mod

Rosemary's roots are easily waterlogged and require sandy/gravelly limey, well drained soil, especially in a container. But drought tolerance of rosemary is misleading -- you let a container-grown rosemary dry out and you're done. It won't recover. Rosemary is drought tolerant in the ground only because it grows extremely long roots in search of water. This also means it can get pot bound very easily in a container.

In my experience, rosemary is tricky to overwinter indoors. I managed to overwinter for the first time last winter (tried 3 times and killed them dead). It needed 1C of water every day in a cool SW facing window sill, purposefully left sitting BETWEEN the window glass and the curtain at night to stay in the trapped pocket of cold air. In the spring when I repotted (I used crushed oystershells as the "gravelly" element), I discovered that there were 4 plants in a 6" pot styled as a Christmas tree though and extremely pot bound, so keep that in mind too. Not so pot-bound plant in a roomy pot may not need as much as 1C per day. The plastic pot was heavy after watering; light enough for the whole thing to topple over 24 hours later. Each morning, I gave 1/2C from the saucer, then poured the other 1/2C through the foliage in addition to misting all over with filtered water. I've read that rosemary is a coastal shrub (Rose-marinus) and, contrary to popular belief, wants moisture on its leaves (I reasoned that morning "dew" was closest to nature). This container rosemary plants don't have a cultivar name (labeled as Rosemarinus officinalis) , but since they're from a nursery in southern California, I'm assuming they're not hardy in my area. I divided them into two pots with two plants each, and acclimated them outside as soon as temps rose above freezing -- I think 35ºF+ but I'll have to check my notes -- and they spent the season outdoors. I've been keeping them under a heavier spun-bonded garden cover (less light) for the past two weeks, and I'll be bringing them back indoors today since forecast for this week is low in the upper 30's. Two containers now, so I'll have double the chance to keep them alive this winter. 8)

The hardiest rosemary variety is still a bit iffy in zone 6. This is my 2nd year trying to grow R. 'Arp' in the garden. Last year, I bought a plant in August and planted it, but it didn't survive the winter. Thinking that it didn't have time enough to establish a good root system, this year, I bought a couple of plants in early spring (ended up with a bargain as they were badly root-bound leftovers from the previous season that the local herb lady didn't think would sell among the fresh new rosemary plants) and planted them in the ground right away, in somewhat more sheltered locations than the last one. They have grown very well through the season. We'll see how they fair this winter. I'm planning to mulch them well.

Good luck with yours! :wink:

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Yes I also mist my rosemary. The rosemary I grew from seeds would getthe white mildew on them.

Why are rosemary plants from the market so much huger than the seeds?

Whast the secret to growing from seeds?

ZacchaeusCrawford
Newly Registered

I bought my rosemary plant from Wal-Mart during the summer. It's taken a while to grow. I have pruned it and molded it to the shape I am wanting it to be, I would very much like to make it in to a Bonsai style rosemary plant. I love rosemary.

applestar
Mod

After re-reading my post, I wanted to add that in the spring after I repotted the 4-some into two 2-somes, they were left outside for the season. One in the Kitchen Garden with full sun except at early morning and late afternoon, the other by the garden gate where it got mid-day through PM sun. The two 'Arps' were planted in the ground, one in the Kitchen Garden closest to the patio (benefitted from the surrounding sandy/gravel mix) and the other by the same garden gate which is on a slope and very well draining.

silver93350
Newly Registered

I tried Rosemary last year and it died. However, I think it would be better to put in a pot. Do you think this would help it from dying. To my understanding they don't do very good in a garden. Mine dried of and died this year :(

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That drying was likely caused by the white fungus Sage mentioned and you missed it (easy to do as the plump oily leaves hide it some). I get rid of this very easily with milk and recommend it for over-wintering rosemary. one to ten for misting like Sage does, or if misting isn't an option you can mix the milk at three to one and apply with a cue tip on affected areas as they arise like I do (misting our big indoor rosemary in the kitchen would make my DW very unhappy, so this works best for me)

I have another smaller plant (a present!) in the breeze way where it is cold, but not freezing, and that one uses less water and never gets the mold, so that's an option too...

Hope this helps

HG

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

The best thing that you can possibly do for rosemary is get a fan. They love a breeze. I get the mildew off by spraying neem oil if I missed it, but if I see it the trick is the air flow and water situation and just wipe it off and mist that area heavily with water. There are a couple things you want to check to avoid it dying

Here is my cheat sheet :)

Rosemary

-Ideal temp.65°F
-pH 4.5-8.7
-full-indirect sun
-Do not allow to dry but do not over water ( this is the main reason white mildew grows)

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/12966_315789250706_902035706_972912.jpg[/img]
So here are 3 plants. The left is a rosemary the one in the middle is a Wolfberry and the right is a Rosemary from Seed @ 9 months approx.

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/dddd.jpg[/img]
Rosemary stacked on sage. Very similar plants tbh.
[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/12966_315789215706_902035706_972912.jpg[/img]
You get the best deals on rosemary at the end of the season !!

Rosemary is a really cheap herb as someone said its a weed!! Keep pretending it is so I can get more insane clearance deals.

Love

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I once again have rosemary that I started from seed early this spring, which is now doing very well outside.

I just noticed Norm/Gnome's post here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27646&highlight=

about rosemary bonsai, where he says rosemary if brought indoors likes it cooler than normal house temps.

It made me think-- I have a screened in porch. It is open but protected from wind and I can put pots right next to the house wall, where maybe they would get a bit of leaked heat. Is it possible they would survive the winter there? If I bundled it in straw or something?

Probably not, huh? By cooler, he probably didn't mean freezing.

How about the coat closet that is in the airlock entrance, next to the front door, if I put a light in there? That gets cold, probably down in the 50's, but not freezing. Trick would be not to forget it was there, since I would never see it! :)

Just thinking... I've killed two rosemary plants bringing them in for the winter. It would be really nice not to do it again.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I got mine through the winter with milk sprays, but just barely and it took some time to recover. I have kept a smaller one (now my larger one) in the airlock on a shelf that got colder than fifty, you betcha, and it did fine.

Norm's right, cool enough to avoid the powdery mildew but warm enough to avoid freezing; that's the ticket...

HG

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

My rosemary plant is now 3 years old and going strong. It is planted in the ground with the other herbs I'm growing. I have oregano, chives, sweet basil, mint and thyme right now. I'm thinking of moving the mint to another area and box it in since it is so quick spreading.

The rosemary plant is huge even though it does get cut back drastically a couple times a year just to keep it in check. I'll give lots of it away, use some in cleaned salad dressing bottles with sprigs of rosemary and filled with vinegar for a nicely flavored alternative to plain and balsamic varieties.

There is nothing like cooking with fresh herbs to really waken the palate and make your kitchen "stink pretty".

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yeah, keep bragging, Gumbo... :lol:

We have about no chance of bringing a rosemary through the winter up here... we have to do the halfway thing like RBG is tallking about or juggle the milk sprays like I do... it's about impossible indoors (don't know if mine will be able to do it again; it's JUST back to healthy now...) and it's about impossible for us to do them outside...

But we're SOOOOOOOO happy you have no problems at all raising a shrub sized bush in quantities that allow you to give it away... :wink: :lol:

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with HG :) Just want to be sure people don't miss it that Gumbo (as you might guess from the name) IS in New Orleans. What works in New Orleans does NOT work in much of the rest of the country!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Agree with HG :) Just want to be sure people don't miss it that Gumbo (as you might guess from the name) IS in New Orleans. What works in New Orleans does NOT work in much of the rest of the country!
Funny, I also belong to a motorcycle newsgroup since I've been riding those things for over 40 years and it is also one of my life's passions. The folks that live in more northern climes tend to hate me when I write about taking long day rides in the country in December and only needing a jacket to be comfortable. Meanwhile, they are up to their chins in snow and ice with no end in sight for several more months. But, that comes with a price, and summers here are brutal and make gardening a real chore.

I know I am blessed with milder weather over the winter months and do take advantage of it as much as possible. I can garden year round and have had some of the best tomato crops in the fall/winter since pests that ravage the plants in the summer are virtually non existent when the weather cools.

applestar
Mod

Yep :D So let's all gloat about our upper 80's and low 90's weather and the luscious tomatoes, juicy peppers, and cool cucumbers that are just entering peak production right now to gumbo while we can ! :twisted: :lol: :>

We'll be hearing about tomatoes and basil for Thanksgiving, etc. Soon enough :wink:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

AS, you've got me there. My tomatoes are all pulled and in the compost pile for at least 2 weeks now, peppers and eggplants are struggling in this heat but are showing signs of making a bit of a comeback.

I'm picking 4-6 cucumbers a day from my smaller trellis and okra is really picking up with close to 50 pods a day right now. My second round of green beans are just reaching the bottom of the larger trellis for a fall harvest. My once lush green garden is about 2/3 empty waiting for some cooler temps. for the leafy stuff. Besides, that little tropical thing in the Gulf of Mexico is fixing to dump some heavy rains on southeast La. over the next couple of days---so they say.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thought about melons or something that likes all that heat, Gumbo?

HG

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've got about 1000 sq. ft. of garden and the last time I had melons, they took up lots of space that I would rather use for my vegetables that I use almost daily. With cooler temps on the way, I'm looking at lettuces, spinach, chard, collards, turnip greens, more tomatoes, broccoli and brussel sprouts to name a few. Also any holdovers from the summer garden till they cease production.

I can get 20 lb. seedless watermelons at the local supermarket for around $4 each. Cantaloupes are running about $1.50 each on sale and large seeded melons are around $5-6 each.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”