sassyjvg

To Eat Or Not To Eat Broccoli Leaves, That Is The Question

This was a tough thing to do but I have made peace with the fact that my broccoli plants are done for. As I dug deep through the walls of it meager existence, I still refuse to let go without a fight. I remember the mention of its leaves. The leaves I have heard can be cooked and eaten. Well I would rather not waste my time with them if I can find no proof that they are worth salvaging. So I ask you my fellow gardeners, should I? Have you? :? Are they worth the pots, pan, anticipation, and kitchen heat of it all? :? Let me have it, thanks. :idea:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I do eat broccoli leaves, but I've never cooked them. I just chop them up in one of my all-but-the-kitchen-sink-salads. They are quite good that way.

Waste not, want not!!

Start broccoli again soon for a fall crop, it will do better!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.recipes.southshoreganics.com/category/recipes/broccoli-leaves/]Sauteed Broccoli Leaves[/url] :D.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Here the broccoli will continue to put out side shoots up until frost. Some varieties are better for side shoots.

I am going to try broccoli leaves now that the question has been raised.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I like them braised just like collards. Bacon, garlic, a lil bit of brown sugar, and chicken stock. They are really, very tasty!

lilturtle
Cool Member

wow that sounds great I didnt know yo could eat the leaves..I will have to try that!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

of coarse you could eat a car bumper with bacon and garlic on it. :P

Oooooh Baaacon!

Eric

lilturtle
Cool Member

LOL..bet it wouldnt taste as good as brocoli leaves.

csvd87

They taste awful, you get all this black thermo plastic stuck in you're teeth, its all greasy, its awful, but... hmmm it would work fantastic for heating soil in the spring time... good thing I have an endless supply of bumper covers at work :)

vermontkingdom

Darn it. I pulled and shredded (for my compost pile) my broccoli and cauliflower plants on Saturday. It's been too hot for them this summer and I just plain gave up on them. I wish I had waited two days.

sassyjvg

I am so mad right now. I had my entire reply typed up and just about completed when my computer lost internet access.(I lost my original post & had to start over)Uggh! :x Anywho, before I was rudely interrupted, I was touching basis regarding what I'd decided on doing with the broccoli leaves. I picked the leaves, then washed and tossed them into the freezer. I plan to mix the broccoli leaves with cabbage along with a smoked turkey leg for flavor. That ought to be interesting. One sidebar, I just realized that I did not remember to par-boil the leaves before freezing. I suppose I will soon find out what the purpose for par-boiling vegetables are for during this process. I will let you guys know how everything turns out, maybe even post a pic if the presentation proves tantalizing enough. I suppose all is not a total scrap, afterall, the rest of the plants are being recycled in my compost pile.
Last edited by sassyjvg on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

They are not gross plastic-esque :() you're just not cooking them right. They taste just like kale or collard greens to me. My mom's 115 lb yellow lab seems to think bumpers are pretty tasty chew things... And pool pump plumbing... And towels, and watches, and any clothing, and plastic and outdoor fuse boxes. Wow... What a horrible flashback :shock: into her puppyhood!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

They are not gross plastic-esque you're just not cooking them right.
I really wasn't insulting the leaf of a broccoli plant, I was more praising garlic and bacon. Ooooh Baaacon! :lol:

Not to rub it in or anything, I get plenty of broccoli heads from my garden. Like jal_ut, the side shoot production last almost all summer. I will be starting fall broccoli here soon.

I also grow kale, collards, swiss chard, spinach, double purple orach and beet tops. I get plenty of greens. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”