gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Catfacing has got my face frowning.

I have had a quite a few ripe tomatoes so far. Most of the have been cat-faced severely. A lot of them are even culled before I go in the house than a number of them I pull before total ripeness to slow the cat-facing and they start getting moldy before I eat them thus being culled in the house. :x

I just picked another Giant Syrian today it's a perfect tomato around a pound give or take but firm and beautiful. My Cherokee Purple, Amish Paste and Black Form Tula are all in bad shape but cut away the nastiness and they are great. But it seems like every single fruit is going this way and I want it to stop.

My cherry's (Black Cherry and Isis Candy Cherry) are going gangbusters I pulled a colander full today no problems there. Maybe a few here and there but not bad.

But all my others mentioned above, every plant even in different gardens are all acting the same.

Any help would be great.

Just a little info it has been very hot and very humid with rain here and there. I try to keep them watered but maybe it is my fault with unconsistant watering. Should I water them lightly every day when it is brutal hot out. Should I not water at all but once a week?

HELP!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

From what I understand catfacing is something like BER in that it happens when the fruit is tiny and or pollinating because of cold temps, and/or a boost of nitrogen when blooming, and/or herbicide drift. The locules (seed compartments) don't develop right and split open then scar over.

Like BER it usually shows up in waves, but a couple of years ago I had one plant that almost every fruit did it the whole season.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Many possible variables indeed!

Usually happens on the very early fruits for me as well, but on very few varieties, and one or two fruits at the most. Cherokee Purple is exception, and is definitely one of those, famous for catfacing big time for me, any place in the garden! Spudakee does not seem to suffer catfacing, so I think it will replace CP all together for me next year.

Regards,
D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks D_V I will definitively be looking into the Spudakee next year. Seeing your and hearing what you have to say makes me wish I would have known sooner. Though the Cherokee Purples a re great tasting tomatoes.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

CP does tend to grow funky, fer sure...

I too am having these issues, mostly with Brandywine, another famous one for contorting. I think DV is on to something about certain varieties being more susceptible...

HG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My German Johnson and Beef Master have catfacing.

My Beef Steak, Big Beef and Jet Star are all perfect round tomatoes.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

It seems like heirlooms are a little more prone to it than hybrids. So far, few of my heirlooms have had any of it. Actually, several of my hybrids got it last year :?.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks all could be the weird weather we are having as well.

But every time I go out it seems that 90% of my tomatoes are catfaced and several of those are compost fodder.

It almost seems like it might be getting better. But with a week of mid 90's and heat indexes in the 105+ range everything is hurting bad.

On another not I had to rip out a BIG tomato today that had grown around the cage and the stake holding it up. I just can't win. :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The larger the tomato, the more likely it is to catface....

I don't grow heirlooms, but I have never seen catfacing on any of my hybrids including the beefsteak ones.

Inconsistent watering can lead to splitting and can contribute to BER, but I haven't seen it mentioned in terms of catfacing. But I think it is a kind of internal splitting, so maybe...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:The larger the tomato, the more likely it is to catface....

I don't grow heirlooms, but I have never seen catfacing on any of my hybrids including the beefsteak ones.

Inconsistent watering can lead to splitting and can contribute to BER, but I haven't seen it mentioned in terms of catfacing. But I think it is a kind of internal splitting, so maybe...
Yes thanks. I know about the watering problem, which was one of my concerns. I know the tomato can dry up and with an influx of water will swell and crack. Though I thin it might be a soil/moisture/early season/weather thing. Because it seems to not be so bad at the moment. It has been killer hot here, trust me I work outside. I'm surprised I'm not catfacing. :lol:

But as to the larger the tomato being more susceptible to distortion my Giant Syrians which are dang big for the most part have come out nice except for the monster which was a freak any way you look at it. :shock:

Just picked some picture perfect Brandywines, that makes me want to take pics. Maybe this weekend it's crazy here.

applestar
Mod

It has been killer hot here, trust me I work outside. I'm surprised I'm not catfacing. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”