sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

why did my onions stop growing?

I started some onions from seed march 1st. they grew and I put them outside at the end of May. They started to bulb and I thought it was going great! Super excited. The bulbs started growing above the ground and I couldn't find info on what to do. I was told around June 10th that I'm supposed to mound the dirt so that the bulbs don't turn green so I did. Now they seemed to have stopped growing at an inch wide. Where did I go wrong? Why did they stop growing? I am in zone 5a I think (we have long days) and I planted vidalia.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

LOL! yeah, some gardener.. thats why all my plants have something wrong with them right now (diseases) hahha. and I can't grow root crops, period. so yeah. LOL!

I'm not sure if I want to call the extension agent again, I called them this morning to ask about something and the lady was kind of rude and snippy with me... :roll:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

How much dirt did you mound around them? If you buried them well, it will prevent bulb formation. Onions don't get "green" from being exposed......carrots do :lol:, but not onions.

Secondly, are you sure that the variety you planted was "long day"? If an onion is said to grow in GA., it's most likely "short day".

Perhaps pull the dirt away and see what happens.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

hmmm. I didn't mound them too much just so that they were buried and not showing. are they supposed to be completely buried do you know?

I just dug them up since they had died and all and yeah... one inch wide LOL! YUM! :lol:

I'd have to look on the package. I purchased them prior to knowing the whole short day/long day thing.

so you think that was my issue? wrong type of seeds? or was it the burying thing do you think? I'd like to try again but don't want to if I'll fail again. Afterall, I've yet to successfully grow beets or radishes! I don't know why I have issues with root crops. everything else I have no problem growing... :?:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

First, its the variety. Next year get some long day onions. Yellow Spanish is a good one. Vidalias are short day onions for the South.

You don't need to cover the onions bulb with soil as has already been said. You do that with potatoes.

Small onions are good eating too. Enjoy!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

LOL! I'm actually eating one right now as we speak! YUM!

OK, so wrong type of onion. and no need to bury.

So, it is normal for them to grow above the soil like that then? Or did I not bury them deep enough? I thought I did, but maybe my idea of deep wasnt deep enough?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

No need to plant them deep. Yes, it is normal to have much of the bulb growing above ground.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

thank you so much! I appreciate it!

OK, so here's one for you. any clue why my scallions aren't growing? they got about 4 inches tall and haven't grown in a month. the weeds keep taking them over since they're not growing...

its too late to start new onions, correct?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Keep the weeds down, onions don't compete well with weeds. Have the scallions been very dry or very moist? Sometimes if the soil is continually moist, growth can be slow.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

hmmm. not too moist I don't think. its been dry and I did some drip irrigation every other day.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Again, what variety? Did you plant seeds? Direct sown or started then transplanted?

It is hard to guess without more info.

In general, onions should be planted early spring. Long day varieties in the North. They are heavy feeders so feed them well. As has been said, keep the weeds out. Bunching onions make good scallions direct seeded where they will grow.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

its too late to start new onions, correct?
If you can still find onion sets locally, you can plant them now for a fall crop of scallions.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

They were bunching onions, japanese I think? I direct sowed them. In May I think,

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm...it sounds like you planted them early enough. When you say "direct sowed," are you referring to seed or small bulbs?

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I looked up scallions "how to grow" online and it told me to just toss the seeds in the soil and lightly cover so that is what I did.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”