GardenofEden
Newly Registered

Green Beans not sprouting?

About 2 weeks ago, I decided to move my lettuce to my front garden from my back. I harvested what was in the back and decided to replace it with green beans plus a small row where I had extra room. Where I had the extra room, nothing had previously grown... and the green beans took off. However, the ones I put where the lettuce had previously been refused to sprout. After a week or so (the other sprouts were a good 4 inches tall by this time), I tried putting in more seeds. They, too, have done nothing. Any ideas as to why they wouldn't sprout there? I mixed in some compost when I planted them so there should definitely be enough nutrients...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Is the spot where the lettuce was more shaded than the other one? cooler? moist-er? or conversely more hot and dry? Any other differences in how you treated the two sets of seeds or what the conditions are?

GardenofEden
Newly Registered

The spot where the lettuce was previously is a little more shaded by my huge zuchinni plants but would that affect them even sprouting? It has been around 90 degrees here lately so I can't imagine it's THAT much cooler. The seeds were all treated exactly the same. I soaked them for a day before planting... Although I did find ONE sprout in the middle of the row where the lettuce was so maybe I just need to be a little more patient.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Perhaps scratch around a little bit in that row and see if there are any seeds underground that have germinated.

I've found that beans can sometimes take awhile to germinate. A friend had the same problem as you, he planted one area, it took off, he planted another......maybe 3 germinated :?.

Does the area they were planted in stay moist or crust-over on top? Did you plant these seeds on the deeper or shallower side?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”