WhiteDove
Newly Registered

Transplanting a Large Private Hedge

The city has told me that eventually the ancient sewer pipes will have to be changed and that my very old privit hedge is actually on the city right away and will have to be removed. The hedge is definately over 50 years old and is 8 ft tall.

I've decided that when the time comes, I'll have it moved the 5 ft or so on to my property. Can this be done?

WhiteDove
Newly Registered

What happened to the title of my thread. I want to transplant a large privit hedge. Excuse me if I misspelled, but I believe that is the spelling. A privit hedge is a common variety of hedge and I have one that I need to transplant. Does anyone know anything about the possiblity of transplanting one?

Grey
Greener Thumb

I think you are right, it is a "privet" hedge. Not sure on spelling.

Anyway - as old as those plants are, I don't know if they can be moved. I suppose you can try, but the roots are probably very, very deep.

Anybody have any advice?

cmc2dina

Somebody once offered me the very large arborvite hedges in their front yard by the street because the road work required them to be moved or destroyed. I was interested and he did some research and found they COULD indeed be moved but it would take special equipment and the cost was over $1,000.00. I declined.
Your hedges probably can be moved but you will need an expert and some large equipment and probably very expensive.

WhiteDove
Newly Registered

I wouldn't mind spending over $1000 to move the hedge. It's cheaper than therapy, which is what trimming my hedge provides for me. I've really spent a lot of time getting it looking the way it is and I love to trim it. Yes, I figured it would take some equipment.

I don't have to deal with it right now, fortunately, since the city isn't doing this work imminently. But they told me it will happen eventually.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”