joe_minsk
Newly Registered

spiders

does anyone know of an organic way of getting rid of spiders from the gardern? They seem to build new webs every night after we clear them away during the day.

uggabugga

you could send them to me, spiders are more than welcome in my garden :)

Grey
Greener Thumb

You would miss them if you lost them, believe it or not. They keep your bug population down. So long as they are not poisonous, I welcome them.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hummingbirds use spider web in building their nests too. Spiders are great predators in the garden.

Newt

decam0

Morning dew or hoar frost on a spider's web is one of the most beautiful sights in a garden.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Decam0, what a beautiful picture you just painted!

https://www.thedogmuseum.com/images/spider-web.jpg

Newt

decam0

Thank you Newt!
I also love the way that when you (gently) disturb one of those little white fluffy spider nests, the tiny baby spiders all come out and run around a bit and then they all run back home again. So sweet!

Dedee

I live in a very wooded forest like area. I have to deal with tranchulas,blackwidows and fiddlebacks/brown recluse, webspiders don't bother me to much there not the ones trying to get in my house. I do spray poison around the foundation of my house for the ground hunting spiders. My husband relocates the tranchulas.

If you don't like the spiders I would just continue to remove the webs in the early morning or while there making them at night. I have a covered deck I don't like walking into them and then fnding them crawling on me afterwards so when I see one starting a web on my deck I remove the web after a while they move on to somewhere else. I feel like spiders have there place but not in my house or deck if there in my garden I leave them be and I leave them alone in the trees too. I have heard mothball crystals keeps them away but I havent tried it.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Dedee,

Wow, that's alot of variety in spiders you have to deal with, some of which are scary. Not sure I would have the courage to move the tarantula.

Please don't use moth balls. They're toxic to animals, insects, plants AND people.

Newt

uggabugga

deedee-
that's something I miss about living in oklahoma, all the great spiders! trapdoor spiders, huge wolf spiders, every possible kind of jumping spider, big brown tarantulas running across the dirt roads..

ok, so I'm a little weird that way :)

I remember when I learned how to identify brown recluses, and realized my house was full of them. but I left them alone and they did the same for me.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You know, as a child I was very afraid of Arachnids (spiders) but, now I have a great fondness for them. I even have this big hairy guy (though, it is not hair that a spider has) that lives behind my couch. And I love them in my garden. Keep all the pests at bay.

gallum90

I actually work with spiders at my local wildlife sanctuary I love the critters!

if u live in a southern region obviously watch out for black widows but the brow recluse is another nasty little one they live in gardens potted plants and they can live even as far north as southern wisconsin...if your bit by it you are probably due for a heart attack...to identify it look at its abdomen it looks rather large for the rest of the spider then you know its a bad one and obviously its brown

(I love reptiles and insects)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Gallum, you would fit right in with some of my friends who love the reptiles and spiders as well. I'm not so big on snakes but like other reptiles.

I found another large spider outsie my bedroom yesterday that I tried to pick up but, it wouldn't let me so, I used a piece of paper to move it outside to the garden where it will find much more food than inside the house.

So, don't kill the spider folks! Move them out to your garden where they will do you good!

(And even though snakes give me the heebee Jeebees, I do have places in the garden that attract the guys, they eat all the slugs so, that is a good thing)

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”