Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Berkley Tie-Dye Heart - 80 days. Aside from it's stunningly unusual color combination, another favorite in taste this year. Terrific balance of tartness and sweetness, juicy, meaty, just a delight, very assertive flavor, no mild here by any means! And did I mention it's beautiful?

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010berkleytiedyeheart10711/931340164_QFXkj-M.jpg[/img]

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010berkleytiedyeheart20711/931340535_ydWgV-M.jpg[/img]

While saving the seeds, we actually eat 2 tomatoes w/o the gel (yep, just the flesh), that is how much we found of this one. And so far, Brad's varieties are indeed a surprise of the season, taste and coloration are as far as as one can possibly get from any average tomato.

Regards,
D

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Interesting comment you made about the seed gel. Many people don't realize that most of the flavor is in the gel, and so what will that do the the flavor of sauce if you deseed the fruit before hand vs leaving the seeds in permanently or strain them after cooking. The high amount of gel is one reason I think cherry tomatoes have so much more flavor than others.

This gardener includes flavor notes on gel and flesh.

https://www.thisgardenisillegal.com/category/tomato-tastings

wolfie

My biggest so far is this one, it's some sort of oxheart thing from D_V lol

I put the quarter there so you can have a size gauge

[img]https://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz139/packersmom/bigtom.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

This is a bit OT, but... I gave my MIL a bunch -- 8 or so -- heirloom starts that I grew this spring. I just got a call that they are all starting to produce fruits and -- :lol: -- the confusion was evident as she described the various shaped tomatoes shes finding in her garden -- big and lobed like a bell pepper, another like a cucumber, one that looks "normal" except it has a pointy end, yet another one that is turning yellow ... :lol: Wait until they all turn color. :wink:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

NICE MAY-MOE WOLFIE!

Like a cucumber?!?!?! Imma have to see that!

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

LindsayArthurRTR wrote: Like a cucumber?!?!?! Imma have to see that!
LOL I can see where Purple Russian can look like that in it's tender young age :roll:

Dr. Wyche's Yellow - 75 days. Creamy yellow beefsteaks with some green shoulders. I think it is a very very nice tomato! Tart gell, creamy, soft, sweet flesh to balance, nice size fruits, seems to be a good producer - I think it's going on the list for next year, very very tasty!

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010drwhychesyellow0715/936134890_UiQwN-M.jpg[/img]

Regards,
D

wolfie

Ok D_V, stop posting pictures, I already have 21 on the list that I want for next season LOL

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

LOL! Me too!

Berkley Tie-dye and any color triefel are now at the TIP TOP of my list!

I did just wash and strain off some fermenting seeds of yellow pear, taxi, sugary grape, cherokee purple, black prince, black krim, marglobe,and the tasty mystery yellow beefsteak, with GREAT results! They are all drying on their seperate, labled paper towels :()

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Same here, seed saving has been ongoing process since late May, still going!

Few more varieties that I sorted photos from:

AAA Sweet Solano - 60 days, late planter but much anticipated (thanks to the seed giveaway!!!). Very tasty tomatoes, as most of Brad's varieties - just beautiful! Zing of a flavor in the gel to contrast sweet, creamy flesh, very bright and refreshing tomato! Grows in clusters, ripens 2-3 fruits at a time on the clusters of 5+

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010aaasweetsolano0730/953110448_AM6Um-M.jpg[/img]

Campari - 55 days. Much like last year, healthy crops of firm tomatoes that ripen almost entire cluster at ones. Again, I can't tell any difference in taste from the store bought Campari. Firm, juicy, one of the best "store bought" tomatoes to my mind, at least in the winter.

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010campari0730/953110573_8TsRE-M.jpg[/img]

Kumato - 60 days. Well... Growing this one out of curiosity, seeds were from the larger version of this commercial hybrid, but what is growing, are the fruits in size of their smaller version. Just a bit larger than a "large" cherry. Color - no black here, instead, dark brick red with green shoulders. Taste - on Kumato's site, they list "three stages", I find that the first stage, very firm fruit with sweet/tart, almost fruit like taste is more pleasing to my pallet. I would love to hear from anyone else growing Kumato on this forum - what are your results like?

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010kumato0730/953110692_rg9Vg-M.jpg[/img]

Lubasha - 65 days. Now this is the most unusual "whatever it is" I've grown or tasted. Once upon time, my mother called me up and asked if in her flower bed was a tomato plant. So I looked, and it was indeed a small tomato seedling. She never grown tomatoes, I do it for her. Don't know where the seed came from, possibly compost? Anyway... Transplanted the seedling to my garden. Nice surprise it was - not tomato tasting fruit at all, pale orange, semi-translucent epidermis. Sweet, very firm, short bush that bared loads of pear/plum shape fruits, about the size of Yellow Pear...

F3 seeds produced something entirely different this year in taste and color (same on two plants though):

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010lubasha10730/953110863_LMqvs-M.jpg[/img]

So now, fruits are yellow/green at maturity, still firm, still sweet, but can't even begin describe the taste, very different, almost persimmon aftertaste. So 3 days ago, my mother was over in the garden, we gathered about 5lbs from this small determinate bush. Obviously can't eat all that... In Former USSR, Georgia - tomato preserves are made by the country folks, so my mother thought why not to try it, texture much like the gooseberry. And using the same old technique and recipe for gooseberry gem - these went into a large pot with sugar. After 3 days of bringing it to a boil/cooling off (once per day) - the Tomato Preserves are done:

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010lubasha20730/953110941_pbkiU-M.jpg[/img]

Never thought it would be possible, thought the skin will come off - nope, FANTASTIC!!! Whole fruits are fully intact, delicious and great texture!!!

Now - likely a hybrid (the original one), not clue to what it was, no clue to what it will do next year, but since it takes so little space, and virtually maintenance free, will grow 5-6 next year, and hoping to eventually stabilize this one, will see...

Regards,
D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Remember the OSU is not stabile?

I'll say it isn't. Out of three plants I have a cherry tomato and a basic tomato. The third is just putting on, but looks basic, not cherry not beefsteak, don't know what to call it.

But that isn't the half of it. I sampled both!
They are both good, but the cherry tomato is outta this world! At least to me, tastes good, like a rich tomato, but with a sweetness to it! And folks say they are just so-so on taste. Wow, not sure my tastebuds could handle one that is more flavorful!

Risentraube left me cold, it is sour, and that is full ripe, it is just sour, not a good one for me at all, but I don't like sour oranges either, I like them sweet too. I will try a few more Risentraube before I decide to keep or not!

Here is a photo of most of my harvest for 2010 to date:

[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/100_2785_phixr.jpg[/img]

They are mostly OSU blue, with 4 little Risentraube on the left.

Hey, Duh Vinci, keep saving seeds, I want a few of each! And I bet lots more here do too!
I will save as many as I can too, but I didn't start the variety that you did, and production isn't being great; And mine are not so unusual.
I should have:
OSU blue, basic and small
Hillbilly
Belgian Giant
Cherokee Purple
Grueso
Risentraube
Burpee Long Keeper
Pink Oxheart
Peach Blow Sutton
Brandywine
Rutgers
Caspian Pink
Ponderosa Pink (I think, I know I need to read the name tag, if I can reach it)
These all have fruit on them at the moment.
And a few that I lost the tags to, so they are just ABC... ha ha.

s.studer

Duh_Vinci wrote:
Kumato - 60 days. Well... Growing this one out of curiosity, seeds were from the larger version of this commercial hybrid, but what is growing, are the fruits in size of their smaller version. Just a bit larger than a "large" cherry. Color - no black here, instead, dark brick red with green shoulders. Taste - on Kumato's site, they list "three stages", I find that the first stage, very firm fruit with sweet/tart, almost fruit like taste is more pleasing to my pallet. I would love to hear from anyone else growing Kumato on this forum - what are your results like?

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010kumato0730/953110692_rg9Vg-M.jpg[/img]

D
I am growing Kumatoes (F2) for the second year. So far this is the first one

[img]https://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii419/sstuder1/Tomatoes%202010/5f023ca0.jpg[/img]

I agree that they taste better in "stage one".

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Lubasha - 65 days. Now this is the most unusual "whatever it is" I've grown or tasted.
That's so fascinating!!! How does it have that name then, though? Did you name it, D?

And your photography is to die for!! You need to post about how you take such great photos! Do you use a light set up or is that natural--so jealous!

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Remember the OSU is not stabile?

I'll say it isn't. Out of three plants I have a cherry tomato and a basic tomato. The third is just putting on, but looks basic, not cherry not beefsteak, don't know what to call it.

But that isn't the half of it. I sampled both!
They are both good, but the cherry tomato is outta this world! At least to me, tastes good, like a rich tomato, but with a sweetness to it! And folks say they are just so-so on taste. Wow, not sure my tastebuds could handle one that is more flavorful!

Here is a photo of most of my harvest for 2010 to date:

They are mostly OSU blue
What is OSU blue? Is that the same as orange-flesh purple smudge (OFPS)? I have heard that variety is bland. And some reviewers on baker creek say their fruit didn't "smudge" at all, so weird!

Great pics, though!!

wolfie

ok D_V, here is my list from the pictures in this thread...

Taxi - 48 days, compact, saladette type, mild sweet flavor. 2ft tall plant is absolutely loaded with fruit:
Grub's Mystery Green - 58 days, medium size Green When Ripe beefsteaks, sweet, fruity, rich flavored tomato on compact indeterminate plant:
Noire de Crimee - 50 days in my garden. Beautiful, dark fruit, and looks like plenty of it
Pervaya Lyubov (First Love) - 65 days. Pastel pink/raspberry, absolutely delicious! Fruity, sweet and just enough acid to make it's flavor pop! 3-5oz fruit on clusters
Pink Berkley Tie-Dye - 60 days
Amazon Chocolate - 65 days, PL vigorous, strong plant, loaded with these medium size beefsteaks. Rich, smoky, well balanced flavor
Purple Russian - 55 days, wispy foliage, elongated purple plums with green shoulders, seems to set fruit very well in the heat
Zolotye Kupola - 60 days for this plant. Russian variety, translates as Golden Domes
White Queen - 70 days, abundant producer, Pale, creamy yellow with some slight green blotches - smooth, texture, mild but plenty flavorful, fruity, sweet/tart (but mild).
Bulls heart
Zloty Jubileusz - 60 days
Sandul Moldovian - 68 days. Huge, vigorous plant seems to set many pink beefsteaks
Hillbilly - 68 days
Donskoi - 68 days. Very large hearts on this plant
Beauty King - 70 days. Nice size, very pretty imo, bold, assertive flavor on the tart side. Mostly larger size beefsteaks on the vines so far
Orange Strawberry - 70 days. Deep, gorgeous orange fruits, mostly meat, very juicy, sweetness predominately
Spudakee - 65 days
German Queen - 75 days. Huge PL plant, delicious large pink beefsteaks
Orange Strawberry - 70 days. Deep, gorgeous orange fruits, mostly meat, very juicy, sweetness predominately.
Berkley Tie-Dye Heart - 80 days. balance of tartness and sweetness, juicy, meaty, just a delight
Dr. Wyche's Yellow - 75 days. Creamy yellow beefsteaks with some green shoulders

will send in pm too LOL

msgenie516
Newly Registered

Hi D!

GORGEOUS tomatoes and GORGEOUS pictures! I am just growing Brandywine and Brandy Boy and didn't take any pictures, but I think everyone knows what they look like, anyway.

I do have two other plants that I started late, both Big Zac. They only have small green tomatoes right now and I'm hoping that I have enough time left for a few to mature. I only discovered these seeds in a nursery in about the third week of May. I bought them and planted them right away and put the plants in the ground the very beginning of July. Unfortunately, we had a bad heat spell right after that and I lost all of the first blooms. I'm keeping my fingers crossed-I would love to see a 5 pound tomato like they show on the front of the seed packet!

I know someone else asked and I think you may have overlooked it, what kind of camera do you have? You are a very talented photographer and I love your pictures! Enjoy your great tomatoes! :D Genie

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Genie Welcome to the forum.

I would like to give you some encouragement. I planted some mators late myself and they didn't do anything for a month in the ground and not much after that. But they are getting bigger and have produced some tiny fruit, but they are growing. I as well as you am hoping for a late summer early fall crop. That is probably what we will both get, so don't fret and don't pull them they will come around.

And yes D_V is our resident photo god. :)

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”