Barry 1

going dormant?

hi :D well if you are trying to let a bonsai go dorman could you just put it in a refrigorater? also should you let a grapefruit, or a pomegranate tree go dormant? thanks :D

Marsman
Green Thumb

Forced dormancy? Maybe a fridge would work. Why would you want a tree to go dormant out of season? Why not use Gaia's natural rhythms to lull your tree to sleep?

Barry 1

lol I ment in the winter to make it go dormant, because I live in michigan and it gets to freezing temp so I cant realy ceep it outside and I wanted to know if the fridg would work lol, but thanks for your answer lol :D also about what time of the year should I let/make them go dormant, if at all? Thanks soo much :D

Marsman
Green Thumb

Well, what kind of tree is it?

Barry 1

a grapefruit, and a pomegranit

Marsman
Green Thumb

:roll: I should have read your original post a bit better.

Best answer I have? Dunno. :lol:

I don't have any experience with either of those types of trees. I'm sure someone will come along and educate us both.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Barry 1,

Pomegranate will go dormant but I keep mine from freezing. Once temperatures threaten to dip below freezing I bring them into an unheated garage until it gets too cold there. At that point I move them again to a cool basement. What options do you have for winter quarters?

Although I did try Citrus once a few years back I gave up on them. They just did not seem to grow as well as I would have liked here in PA. I kept them over one winter, handling them similarly to Pomegranate except I moved them inside earlier. They did not lose their leaves but did slow down considerably in the cool basement.

To answer your question directly, yes trees can be kept in a refrigerator if necessary. I see from [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27840]your other thread[/url] that you intend to start from seed. When I start anything from seed I always start quite a few knowing not all will make it. This means your refrigerator will get awfully crowded.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Punicia.html

Norm
Last edited by Gnome on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barry 1

Thanks for all y'all's help :D

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”