oishii

A yellow flower

Hi,

I have loads of this tall yellow flower growing about the yard, but I just can't figure out the name... perhaps it is something quite common :oops:

Can anyone please identify the plant for me?

It grows really tall (4 - 6 feet or so) with lots of foliage.

[img]https://www.geocities.com/unik_yu/072905/yellowflwrs.jpg[/img]

Thanks much.

decam0

Hi oishii
Can you post a photo of the leaves too and the way they come out of the main stem?

oishii

Hi decamO,

Thanks for giving this a go...

The plant is not in full bloom at the moment... that previous picture was from last year, but I did manage to take some shots of the leaves and a bud or two today ...
[img]https://unikyu.com/UY/ppgs/bmaitems/imagesflw/YELLOWFL3.jpg[/img]

And this is another shot from last year showing the flowers themselves...

[img]https://unikyu.com/UY/ppgs/bmaitems/imagesflw/YELLOWFL2.jpg[/img]

Thanks for your help.

decam0

Hi again
I may be wrong but it looks very much like Heliopsis to me.
My book says "Unlike the ray-florets of sunflowers (Helianthus) those of Heliopsis are fertile"
This could be why they're all over your yard!
Delia

oishii

Hi Delia,

Thanks for that response... I went looking at picture after picture of the heliopsis but was concerned about the shape of the leaf... couldn't seem to find a match with that cannibis looking leaf.

I also posted at another forum and someone else also thought it was heliopsis, but.. someone came up with 'rudbeckia laciniata hortensis' and I followed up on that to find that what I think this is... the common name is 'Golden Glow' or Cutleaf Coneflower... The leaf shape matches and height and so on...

Thanks much for the assist... I had no experience with heliopsis and now I do!

decam0

I had problems with the shape of the leaf too, but couldn't think of anything else. Rudbeckia fits the description perfectly! :D
Delia

meesh
Cool Member

It looks like coreopsis to me.

Dedee

Calendula maybe???? :?

oishii

Hiya... feeling pretty confident that it's the cutleaf coneflower... so yep.. agree with ya Delia...

Got plenty of coreopsis and calendula growing about the place here and this plant towers over them.. it grows up to 8 feet tall and the leaves are pretty unique I think... so I'm pretty sure it's not coreopsis or calendula... but thanks for the suggestions. :)

I have the same perennial growing in our yard and I thougt it was part of the daisy family heliopsis but I don't think heliospsis is that tall mine is about 6ft tall

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”