sarahsjc
Newly Registered

Confederate Jasmine - questionable growth on vine...

I have a Confederate jasmine that I planted about 3 months ago - growing well, already went through a blooming cycle. A few days ago, I started noticing very small bumpy, hairy looking whitish-cream growth on the vine (like hundreds of villi). There's about 4 sections of them. Anywhere from an inch or two long, eighth of an inch wide. I can scrap them off with a flat head screwdriver and underneath looks normal (as if there were no growth on the vine. they are firm to the touch. I have no idea what this is. Anyone have any ideas?

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hmmm... no. I grew confederate jasmine a lot in Florida, but didn;t have this particular pest. Hopefully someone else knows?

decam0

Any chance of a photo of the problem?

sarahsjc
Newly Registered

Here is a link to some pictures. I hope it works. Thanks for taking a look decam0 and anyone else. You need to copy and paste this. Clicking on the link won't take you to the pictures (weird) I tried to get clear pictures but some didn't turn out as clear as I would like them to be.

https://www.walmart.com/agt/bounce.gsp?ID=DC7C8AA397133945069878595877E0B1CF6B&sharee=sarah.chauncey%40verizon.net[/img]

decam0

That looks weird.
Is it one body or made up of lots of small somethings. Could it be mealy bugs?

sarahsjc
Newly Registered

There are a lot of 'somethings'. They could be mealy bugs - maybe their eggs? I did look up some scale insects on the internet but didn't find anything that really matched what I have going on with my jasmine. The 'somethings' on the vine are very well attached. If I scrape it off, the vine looks unharmed but if I pull a chunk off, it takes off the outer layer of the vine. This is the one plant that doesn't attract ants around our house.

Maybe I should clip a piece and take it to the nursery - maybe they'll know.

I appreciate any other opinions and thanks decam0! :D

decam0

I think the sample to the nursery is your best bet. Good luck
Delia

Return to “Perennials”