Tania
Newly Registered

Pinching back Petunias?

Hi ... I have read that 'pinching back' petunias will encourage their growth? Can someone pls give me specific info as to how to do this and if it works? Which petunias should I aim for..mine were transplanted at the end of May and are growing but not in abundance. Pls advise.

Thanks!

decam0

Hi Tania
'Pinching back' encourages them to branch more and give more blooms. As you've only just transplanted them, I'd give them a chance to settle in and start growing properly, then you can just take your scissors to them and give them a bit of a haircut. Don't worry too much where you're cutting, just don't be over zealous.
Good luck
Delia

Tania
Newly Registered

Thanks for the fast response Delia! They have been planted for a month now. So I just cut them all over? :? I am a total newbie so just the greens right? Strange that cutting a plant makes them grow more! Hmmmmmmm
decam0 wrote:Hi Tania
'Pinching back' encourages them to branch more and give more blooms. As you've only just transplanted them, I'd give them a chance to settle in and start growing properly, then you can just take your scissors to them and give them a bit of a haircut. Don't worry too much where you're cutting, just don't be over zealous.
Good luck
Delia

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Tania,

I'm hoping your petunias are starting to fill out by now. If they are the 'Wave' petunias you don't have to pinch them. Some good compost added to the planting bed and a feed of fish emulsion or fish emulsion mixed with seaweed fertilizer should be helpful.

Newt

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”