Solomonsgardens
Newly Registered

How to Keep Slugs Off Plants Naturally

Hi! What is the cheapest and most natural way (chemical scents bother me) to keep slugs out of my flowerbeds and plant containers?
I've heard of using beer to lure them and drown them. Has anybody had any success with this method?

I'm presently sprinkling cayenne pepper on my flowerbeds and plant containers. But after it wears off, the slugs come again. This could get expensive.
Debby

sminkah

hello

I have had success with the beer method. Just sink a glass of beer (or as I didn't have any I used ginger ale!) about a foot away from your plants and they love it, but it does kill them off.

Another method that I have used is egg shells around the plant, around an inch or two away from the stem or bush of the plant. Make sure they are cleaned out so do don't end up with any vermin; but they don't like walking over the sharp edges. Oh, make sure you put the sharp side up.

good luck :o)

decam0

Hi
I had holes all over my potato leaves, so I sprinkled rolled oats around and it seemed to have stopped it getting worse. Aparently, the slugs and snails eat the oats and then dry up. Nice ready-stuffed meal for the frogs hedgehogs and birds!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

It has been pointed out to myself and others by the Helpful Gardener that beer actually attracts slugs, so be sure to place it in places that you want slugs to come to (away from your plants).

Copper strips around your plants will keep slugs away and I am currently blanking ... (oh wait!) also, a wire mesh around the plants will also keep slugs away. They cannot cross these barriers.

I am still blanking on the other technique.

Solomonsgardens
Newly Registered

Hi! Thanks for your input! I will keep your methods in mind and maybe one of them will wrok for me!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”