jmoore

An observation on tomatos

I just ate one of the tom's that came out of my garden. I picked it a few days ago and it was starting to look a little sad with it's cracks and odd coloring. So I ate it. It was really tasty.

One the other counter, there is a single store bought tomato. It is perfectly round, uniformly red and could be on the cover of a magazine. It's been there at least 5 days longer than the fresh one I picked, and it still looks great. The more I look at it, the more I wonder why it still looks good? What are they doing to those tom's that they keep so well? Where did it even come from?

I'm almost afraid to taste it, esp. after tasting my home growns. I'm sure I'll be disappointed. I'm no food elitist, but it makes me feel good to eat something I've grown. Esp. when it tastes 100x better than something bought.

I think I need to double the size of my tomato bed next year.

Thomas CA

grocery store sold tomatoes are picked green, then gassed to change their color red.

Essentially, 90% of the red tomatoes you see in stores aren't completely ripe when stocked, but look as though they are. This is one of the reasons they seem to last so long and look so "perfect".

applestar
Mod

:lol: It's a FAKE tomato and tastes like it too! :lol:

What you said reminded me of a book, written kind of like a journal, bits of gardening, recipes, foodie interests from ... hmm... I'm thinking 50's, but I might be wrong. The part that I was reminded is where she said that there was a canned smoked salmon that nobody wanted, not even the dog, so she put it in the compost pile (not recommended, BTW :wink:) If I recall, after leaving it for the winter, she turned the pile and uncovered the orange-pink, unchanged "preserved" salmon. :shock:
OK I had to go find the book -- It's The Art of Eating by MFK Fisher, and the original copyright is 1937. I'm now looking for that passage.... :wink:

jmoore

I'm going to call it the "tomato like object" :P

And that salmon = gross.
applestar wrote::lol: It's a FAKE tomato and tastes like it too! :lol:

What you said reminded me of a book, written kind of like a journal, bits of gardening, recipes, foodie interests from ... hmm... I'm thinking 50's, but I might be wrong. The part that I was reminded is where she said that there was a canned smoked salmon that nobody wanted, not even the dog, so she put it in the compost pile (not recommended, BTW :wink:) If I recall, after leaving it for the winter, she turned the pile and uncovered the orange-pink, unchanged "preserved" salmon. :shock:
OK I had to go find the book -- It's The Art of Eating by MFK Fisher, and the original copyright is 1937. I'm now looking for that passage.... :wink:

lj in ny

Super market tomatoes kind of freak me out. I usually don't buy tomatoes out of season. If I do I get Kumato's, they cost about 0.10 more per lb than the other tomatoes but have a better texture and much better flavor. I don't think they'll hold up against "real" (aka homegrown)tomatoes though. I bought some red tomatoes this week to put in a tabbouleh salad-yuck! Hard as a rock, no flavor. They looked really nice but were totally inedible.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

My wife has strict instruction to NEVER buy grocery store tomatoes. Unless they are locally grown from the farmers market or a local farmer. Even than care must be used in selection.

I'd rather eat a red painted tennis ball. :lol:

I'm thinking the above mentioned Salmon would be a good "Green" idea to eat. After eating digesting and ... well doing your business in the bathroom it would regenerate and swim away no need to flush and waste water. :P

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”