TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

nightmare come true

Literally, I had a nightmare last night and it came true. It all began last evening when instead of watching me cautiously or moving off, my resident deer herd, not 30 feet away from me, actually layed down in the yard to chew their cud and plot world domination while I worked in the fenced in garden.

>>>>>Nightmare about deer getting in.....>>>> deer got in.

I usually let the deer get into the garden and do some damage once a season by accidentally leaving the gate open or leaving a section of high line down for too long. I thought thought that I had broken the pattern this year since they didn't walk in when I left the gate open last week. The fence is standard stock fence with two lines of clotheline at around 5.5 and 7 feet, which seems to make the deer think that they can't jump over or through the stands. Now I have to figure out which hole was too big, and mourn the tops of six peppers three tomatoes and a sunchoke.

The upcomming Hillbilly fence fix won't be pretty. Maybe I'll call it modern rural art.

applestar
Mod

Aw. So sorry to hear that. BAD DEER!! :evil:
Good luck with the fence fix.

specgrade

Hello, I've had luck with putting human hair in the garden to keep the wildlife out. No permed or treated hair though. Urine would work, I imagine. Good luck.

Liska

Aw! Sorry to hear about the tops of your plants :(

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You need to instill a healthy fear of man into that herd. Every time you see them, summer or winter, take after them throwing stones and then yelling at them. A Wrist Rocket is great for this purpose. If they find out your presense means they are going to get hurt, they will move along. Another option is eat the deer! ;)

Halfway
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:You need to instill a healthy fear of man into that herd. Every time you see them, summer or winter, take after them throwing stones and then yelling at them. A Wrist Rocket is great for this purpose. If they find out your presense means they are going to get hurt, they will move along. Another option is eat the deer! ;)
Can't beat a freezer full! All natural.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

sorry to hear that! I was outside on our deck one evening when I saw a deer gallop through my yard, it was amazing that speed of the animal.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Another option is eat the deer! ;)
That would be "eating out of the garden", right? Venison, the original free range meat!!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I have no experience with deer eating the garden as we don't have deer that come close enough ( knock on wood!!!) I've had several of my family members and coworkers say that they get hair scraps from the local salon and sprinkle the clippings around their gardens :() It's worth a shot. ;) and it's free.

specgrade

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:I have no experience with deer eating the garden as we don't have deer that come close enough ( knock on wood!!!) I've had several of my family members and coworkers say that they get hair scraps from the local salon and sprinkle the clippings around their gardens :() It's worth a shot. ;) and it's free.
Hey that was my idea!! Great minds think alike! 8)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”