xray_a

Rabbits ate my peas!

and also munched on my bush beans to a great extent. The peas are pretty much done, I don't see how they could recover. I think most of my bean plants will survive, there was only one plant that got stripped of its leaves completely. I guess I can dig up the area my peas were in now and plant something else. Maybe I will get the area ready for some of my fall seedlings that I just started. Guess it's time to spread some more pepper spray around my plots.

mansgirl

Get a shotgun! : )

JoshT
Newly Registered

I had the same problem, I was able to plant really early this year in MN but the rabbits took out my beans and peas TWICE. Luckily it was still early and the plants were all still small. I fenced it all off and now they are fine.

It's still early enough I think to re-plant pea and bean seeds. I did some late plantings of both last year and it all came up fine.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Rabbits make fabulous "chicken" and dumplings :D

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Ou could try trapping and relocating them, too ;)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, they got my neighbor's peas, too. They've only bothered my swiss chard so far, and that only marginally, so I'm not too concerned about them.

xray_a

haha, I suggested setting rabbit traps to my boyfriend so he could have a nice rabbit dinner and he gasped and said "no don't do that!" I thought I was the softy in the family...

I'm going to put of some pepper spray tonight and this weekend put up some fencing. Anyone have any experience using lattice board? Are the holes small enough to keep them out?

Spongegirl
Cool Member

for some reason there seems to be a rediculous rabbit bloom in my area this year. I found a small bunny in my garden the other day and my garden is enclosed. I pureed 5 jalepenos and added the mix to 1 gallon of water to spray on my leaves so everyting will hopefully taste like junk to them! It seems to work but has to be reapplied often. I added a little olive oil with the emulsifer, letchithin, so the peppers will stick to the leaves.

petechapman

Best to get some rabbit proof fencing - dig it down a little to stop the little critters burrowing under.

It will cost you a bit but its worth it for the future. Better that way than a shotgun or poison!

Good luck!

applestar
Mod

:lol: ...and here I am, telling the baby bunnies to stay inside my fenced back yard so they can be safe from neighborhood cats and.other dangers.... I scared one out of my inadequately fenced Old Sunflower House garden when I went in to harvest some garlic, and ended up apologizing and calling to it to come back when I'm done as there are some tasty clover and bolting lettuce to eat, and that I was pretty sure I planted some carrots in here too.... Told it to just stay out of the protected cabbage tunnel but he and his sibs can have the peas if there are any within reach, since those are about done. :lol:

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Stinking rotten rabbits ate ALL the blossoms off my peas and a ton of leaves off my beans too. :evil:
I sprinkled very stinky kitty litter all around the garden which has been detering them, then last night when I got up in the middle of the night to pee I peeked outside and saw movement out there. So I whipped a cherry bomb out the kitchen window just outside the garden :twisted:
I hope he tells his buddies how scary our yard is

applestar
Mod

P.S. Most of my other garden areas ARE fenced with either 1" hex chicken wire 24"H or Rabbit(wire) /Guard Fence 28"H. Inadequately fenced areas are only accessible to baby and very young juvie bunnies.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”