Skoorbmax
Cool Member

Can anybody recommend a simple automatic waterer-vacation...

I need a simple automatic waterer to run every couple of days to keep my veggies watered (I don't really trust my neighbors to do it properly although if I have to I could use one of the simpler timers, which shut themselves off after a period of time and ask one of the neighbors to turn it on).

I've read reviews, looked at Lowes, etc. and the reviews are almost unanimously damning. I am doing a couple of vacations this summer and wouldn't mind having that extra confidence that I'm getting some water every 2-3 days.

Has anybody here used one of the fairly cheap ones ($40 or less) and had it work ok? I need something available in a home depot or lowes!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

You can buy a 120 volt ac water valve and a 24 hour timer. You can set the timer to come on as many times as you like during each day and stay on as long as you like each time.

Skoorbmax
Cool Member

Gary350 wrote:You can buy a 120 volt ac water valve and a 24 hour timer. You can set the timer to come on as many times as you like during each day and stay on as long as you like each time.
That sounds like some basic electrical work to get it hooked up though unless this will run from an outdoor outlet (?). I need something pretty simple ;)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

G350 is right; just about any home store has something like that and no, there is usually nothing special to the electricity side; often battery...

HG

tomf
Super Green Thumb

This is one.

[url]https://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Irrigation/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhiZapw5/R-100659510/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053[/url]

Skoorbmax
Cool Member

tomf wrote:This is one.

[url]https://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Irrigation/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhiZapw5/R-100659510/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053[/url]
That is being lambasted by the reviewers!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have a Gilmour timer that I got form lowes I can't find it on their website. It was like $40 it works great for me. It has up to 8 different programs and is pretty easy to set up. Still on the same battery from last year.

[url=https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200417997_200417997]Here[/url] it is, I found my model somewhere else, though mine is gray everywhere else I see it is is green. But same thing. I love it. I went back to get another one before I just recently went on vacation and it was sold out at the time.

It has a lifetime warranty as well.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks, Dono...

S

Skoorbmax
Cool Member

I was in Lowes and couldn't resist the cheap Orbit one. It was $25 on sale until tomorrow. I gave it a test earlier and at least for now it's working fine. However, it cuts off the water slow FAST. The pipe hammers in a way I do not like.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Glad you found something. Good lick with the orbits. I looked at them but they weren't for me.

I'm too picky.

Again good luck with your purchase. :)

Skoorbmax
Cool Member

gixxerific wrote:Glad you found something. Good lick with the orbits. I looked at them but they weren't for me.

I'm too picky.

Thanks. I believe I think the hammering effect is because this is on the tap. Per the instructions, but when the "hammer drops" within it to seal things off all the water slams to it hard and fast and pulls on the faucet. If I put it on a hose the unit itself should be fine plus the hose will offer some flex that my copper pipes won't so I have a good faith that it should turn off more gracefully. Will update this thread in any case once I give it a shot.

elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

I have basically the same water timer shown in the link above and it has worked faithfully for 2 yrs now. And I do mean 2 full years. I never reset the timer schedule and it just clicks on and off regularly and only waters the garden if I have the spigot turned on.

Skoorbmax
Cool Member

Skoorbmax wrote:
gixxerific wrote:Glad you found something. Good lick with the orbits. I looked at them but they weren't for me.

I'm too picky.

Thanks. I believe I think the hammering effect is because this is on the tap. Per the instructions, but when the "hammer drops" within it to seal things off all the water slams to it hard and fast and pulls on the faucet. If I put it on a hose the unit itself should be fine plus the hose will offer some flex that my copper pipes won't so I have a good faith that it should turn off more gracefully. Will update this thread in any case once I give it a shot.
Just an update. I did get this Orbit timer on a piece of hose now and it's great. You can tell when the water cuts on and especially off how much momentum goes through the unit if it's freely attached to a loose hose, but now it turns on and off without any strange noises. I recommend against attaching this directly to the faucet because its valve opens and shuts so darn fast.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Glad you found something that works for you. I haven't used mine much this year since I haven't been working much so I can water it when I want to and before the heat wave we are in now it was monsoon season here.

Happy gardening. :D

P.S. I was thinking about you and your clinking problem while driving around one day. I was going to come back here and suggest getting the short sections of hoses they sell for washing machines. Sorry I forgot but it seems you figured it out. So all is well.
8)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You know what, I'm getting close and closer to getting one of those automatic timers. Especially since time has only been permitting me to water in the evening, which I know is just a matter of time before disease starts.

Do you guys use these in conjunction with a soaker hose or do you use a sprinkler system?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:You know what, I'm getting close and closer to getting one of those automatic timers. Especially since time has only been permitting me to water in the evening, which I know is just a matter of time before disease starts.

Do you guys use these in conjunction with a soaker hose or do you use a sprinkler system?
I use mine with a sprinkler early in the morning so it is over just about he time the sun is rising. I figure that it will have more than enough time to dry up before nightfall.

Of course you could use anything you want though G5. You would just have to adjust the time longer if you used a soaker hose.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Same topic, different day.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24502

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'm thinking a sprinkler may be a cheaper up-front investment to start out with than a lot of soaker hose. I think you'll be fine, Gix, watering in the morning like you said. I think that's really the only time to water if you top-water. Soaker hoses seem to work in the evening just fine, but try that with a garden hose and you will get disease eventually.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'd go soaker; most efficient use of water...

although watering the foliage and surrounding area during the day can be cooling and help keep plants growing in hot weather (that's why golf courses run the irrigation on the greens around noon in the summer).

But most efficient use of water would be direct to soil...

HG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”