BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Ted, its pretty exciting making the stuff. All one needs is some soymilk and bittern or something to thicken it. Then it is placed into a container with a heavy object over top of it. I saw Ming Tsai make some when foodnetwork consisted of actual cooking shows back in the day.

https://homepage3.nifty.com/Kume/naru/053/naru053d_e.gif

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

These are the first 3 beets of the year. Many more on the way. :D

How do you like your beets.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02328.jpg[/img]

tomf
Super Green Thumb

You guys are getting me hungry!
Brian what is lions head stew? Where do you get the lions from? :lol:

GardenJester

Lion head stew is essentually Chinese meatball soup. :P [/quote]

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I import the lion from China Tom, haha. Jester's right, they call it that because the meatballs are suppose to look like a stone lion, especially when the cabbage wilts down and surrounds the meatballs, that is suppose to be its mane. I know I know, kinda different....but I like the name :wink:

Lovely produce to all, by the way...looking good... :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'm getting close to harvesting my first hot banana pepper! I can't wait.

On a side-note, I've already eaten some lettuce and Swiss chard, but both were kind of bitter.

applestar
Mod

Harvested (robbed) Potatoes, Tall Telephonepole Peas, Yellow Crookneck (that's what I've been calling it - I checked because the neck doesn't "crook" -- it's "Early Summer Golden Crookneck"), onions and garlic, Jug of dill in vinegar (I have to add more) -- thanks Marlingardener! :wink:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image7312.jpg[/img]
(same onions and garlic) 2nd squash with Yellow Pencilpod bush beans, sugarsnap peas, and basil starting to flower)
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image7315.jpg[/img]

Had the potatoes and peas, beans and snap peas, squash and cabbage from yesterday's harvest. Some dill went in the cabbage and squash. Wanted to add rosemary to potatoes and peas but was voted down. Didn't add onions and garlic to cabbage/squash hoping kids would eat them but might as well have. :roll: (In hindsight, should've harvested some carrots to add to cabbage/squash for splash of color) After dinner, chicken and pork were still left on the platter with two potatoes that nobody could eat anymore. ALL veg had disappeared. :clap:

Farmer Bob

:D Hi Folks.!

We've harvested some Japanese giant radish, Pak Choy, Mustard cabbage,Water cress , Chayote , Cherimoya and Cherry guavas which have started to ripen.

Friends and family have been delighted with all the freebies, as we produce more than we can use.

Made some pickles from the radish ( Sweet 'n Sour; Sweet 'n Hot; Kimchee), mustard cabbage ( Salty; Sweet 'n Sour ) and chayote ( Sweet 'n Sour ) as well.

The Chayote are selling for $US 1,2 per pound in the stores, while Cherimoya sell for $US 7 each here in South Africa. So we consider ourselves very blessed to have these from our garden. We've harvested 25 Chrimoya from our tree now and there are still about another 25 on the tree ripening.! A record bumper crop this year.! We use to get about 5 max per year, until I tried hand pollinating the flowers this year.! Working hard at it paid off handsomely.!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

We were tired of eating healthy, so we went out for Mexican! :D first time since the first squash came in ;)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have been eating salads like they are going out of style, with fresh cherry tomatoe and peas.

Fried zuchinni and just picked our first cucmbers of the season so they will find a way in to the mix somehow. Oh and the green onions and baby poatoes, how wonderful they are.

Got a big 'ol pepper to eat here this weekend as well.

Lindsay what's not healthy about Mexican food. :lol:

Oh and thanks for blurb about basil Apple I forgot I have some drying in the garage, going to check that now. :)

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Lindsay what's not healthy about Mexican food.
HAHA...Three words... Tacos De Carnitas

In my head it translates to mexical crack!!!

It's slow roasted pork butt that is then deep fried and served with flour tortillas. It comes with all kinds of topings (including some healthy sides) ;)

and margaritas :D

But mostly the cheese sauce and the pickled Jalapenos that I crave. I can make the jalapenos (I only have a few that are at that size...many many more on the plant), just need to make that cheese sause.
Wish I could grow avocado here, too. That would be sweet.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Yep, Went shopping at my favorite Mexican grocery store last week. They have a grill back in the corner where they prepare carry out meals in the white styrofoam trays or a few tables where you can eat in the store. I also had tacos de carnitas with home made flour tortillas and all the sides. Better food in that little corner of Mexico than any high class Mexican restaurant in the world.

I also love to shop the Mexican grocery stores because everything seems more real in the produce area. Nothing is as pretty as it is in Walmart, but it seems to taste better. Where else can you buy avocados at six for one dollar, or fifteen large limes for one dollar, or sweet corn at six for one dollar? The list could go on but it doesn't matter because I will keep going back for the carnitas.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Never fear Lindsay if you have "many more on the plant" that means you will be overflowing with jalapenos this year. I think I'm on the same track. My Jalapenos are the best producing pepper I have so far with a dozen or more on the plant right now.

Can you say fresh Pico de Gallo?

Of course you need to wash that down with a margarita. Some Cabo and Grandma a little crushed ice and even less mix and you are golden. :D

I love Mexican and SUPER hot sauce too bad my wife hates anything not made from a box. :P :x

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I just recycled three jalapeno and three habenero plants with peppers attached to the compost bin. I had way more than I can use since I am the only hot pepper lover in my family. I've tried to give the extras away. Most people simply say "I can't eat those things". The extra space will allow for a few more fall tomato plants.

Next year, I guess I will grow a lot more bell and other sweet peppers instead of a lot of hot peppers.

I was in my favorite Mexican grocery store last week. The lady in front of me in the checkout line had about ten pounds of those giant, hot, jalapenos. She also had a bunch of cilantro and tomatoes and limes. I asked her what she planned on doing with so many jalapenos. She said she was hosting a party that evening and preparing a hot salsa for the party. I was of course invited to the party to sample the salsa, but already had other plans. I bet that was one hot party.

Ted

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

My Jalapenos are the best producing pepper I have so far with a dozen or more on the plant right now.
Once I make pickled japs, I will prolly make pepper jelly with the rest of them! :D. It is super easy and super yummy! Ted, no one has ever turned down a jar of pepper jelly! Serve it with cream cheese and crackers...drool...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:
My Jalapenos are the best producing pepper I have so far with a dozen or more on the plant right now.
Once I make pickled japs, I will prolly make pepper jelly with the rest of them! :D. It is super easy and super yummy! Ted, no one has ever turned down a jar of pepper jelly! Serve it with cream cheese and crackers...drool...
If you don't mind how about adding those recipes to the recipe thread down at the bottom of the main page.

Thank you.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Made Zucchini Parmesan for my dad tonight. It was goooooood. Best way I've had zucchini this year.

I LOVE to share recipes! And I will definitely share :)

NCSUchick27
Newly Registered

I picked a zucchini out of my garden yesterday. I chopped that sucker up and threw him in my spaghetti sauce with some mushrooms and he was quite tasty.

I didn't get a picture of it because we ate it so fast. :oops:

bcallaha
Cool Member

We're having brocolli and brussel spouts at lunch today. Saturday I cut a few heads of cabbage and made some freezer slaw. I'll probably cut some more and make some more slaw this week. I picked the first of the green beans this weekend, but not enough for a mess yet.

It's been dry here......can someone who's getting to much rain send some my way? My corn and beans needs some.

Thanks
Brad

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Last night I made a hodge podge mixture of tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, onion, fresh basil and spices some olive oil, a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar and a pad of butter wrapped in foil and bar-b-qued on the grill while I cooked some chicken.

Tonight it will be ribs fresh baby potatoes a homemade salad and maybe some fried zucchini.

bcallaha
Cool Member

I grilled out steaks and hamburgers today and decided to grill some vegetables from the garden. I mixed some green peppers, brocolli, onions, asparagus, yellow squash, zukes, garlic, a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Grilled them with the steaks, and got the smoke from the meat on the vegetables. The asparagus and garlic wasn't from our garden, but everything else was.

Boy was it good!!!

[img]https://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac134/bradley10466/GrilledVegetables.jpg[/img]

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

We had green beans cooked with butterfinger new potatoes( my taters DID tater!!!) Fried okree, fried squash and grilled chicken. A black krim tomato sliced up with some cucumbers on the side. For dessert we had cantaloupe! Everything came from the garden except the chicken. Maybe next year the chickens will too :D

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Yall are making me HUNGRY!! It all sounds so good.

Garden Gal
Cool Member

I'd love to learn how to make my own tofu. I love the stuff. it's great in EVERYTHING!

can you please tell me how to make pepper jelly? would love that recipe. I have THREE huge pepper plants. Not all japs but would probably work anyway?? They are tiny little green peppers right now. A LOT of them! I'll have to take a peek at the tags to see what kind they are. I think I have one jap plant but nothing showing yet.

That melon looked fantastic! Would love some seeds!

The grilled veggies . . . . mmmmmmmm my fav!

We need to start a COOKBOOK!

Garden Gal
Cool Member

I think I have one Japanese plant but nothing showing yet
I have no idea why I said that! I MEANT to say one Jalapeño plant! LOL Too many cumbers in my brain I guess. :roll:

MaryDel

Last night, I had grilled potatoes, grilled yellow squash and zuchinni, and grilled sirloin tip steak and T-Bone, all grown on my property... slow smoked with peach and nectarine wood........mmmmmmmmmm....I'm slobbering like Homer Simpson

The night before I had the same veggies with a fat flounder I caught in the Delaware Bay.

There is something very satisfying about growing, catching, or otherwise harvesting your own meal.

My brother is in town from Idaho. He's been crabbing in the Chesapeake all day with a friend who is a commercial crabber, so tonight it's crabs :P I cheated and picked up some local sweetcorn on the way home, and I'm watching some Cherokee Purples and Black Krims for a few days. I'll check the garden after the storm and feeding the cattle. I'll stop by the Orchard and see if I can find a few more ripe giant white peaches too!

I hate the heat, but love summertime!

ooops. that Black Krim never will see the dinner table.......not the best tomato I've ever eaten, but not too shabby :roll:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Garden Gal wrote:I'd love to learn how to make my own tofu. I love the stuff. it's great in EVERYTHING!

can you please tell me how to make pepper jelly? would love that recipe. I have THREE huge pepper plants. Not all japs but would probably work anyway?? They are tiny little green peppers right now. A LOT of them! I'll have to take a peek at the tags to see what kind they are. I think I have one Japanese plant but nothing showing yet.

That melon looked fantastic! Would love some seeds!

The grilled veggies . . . . mmmmmmmm my fav!

We need to start a COOKBOOK!
We called them japs for short when I worked in a restaurant while I was in xray school :) I guess it stuck... :|

I put the recipes under the recipe folder :)

Send an envelope :D I have never tasted anything like that melon... Almost like an artificial watermelon flavor. Bizaar...like cantaloupe dipped in watermelon jolly rancher syrup. Crazy good :D

applestar
Mod

I was wondering about that... wouldn't you reasonably call them Jals (Hals)? Don't you know how to spell in X-ray school? :kidding: ... Oh! is that related to how Dr's learn to have REALLY terrible handwriting in medical school? :> :> :lol:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I was wondering about that... wouldn't you reasonably call them Jals (Hals)? Don't you know how to spell in X-ray school?

HEY!!! ;) :D It was the restaurant not the school! It was even abbreviated that way in the computer ordering system! :> :>

Haha! My inability to spell is not a direct result of xray school ;) They did say Einstein couldn't spell worth a junk :D HAAAAA! My grammar is worse than my spelling :)

I'm having some parsleyed potatoes for dinner tonight(haha just to keep with topic ;) )

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

and what percentage is that. :shock: :P

Simple salad tonight. Small head of Buttercrunch and Freckles lettuce. Garlic scapes and Broccoli side shoots.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02346.jpg[/img]

Garden Gal
Cool Member

mmmmmmmmmm that salad looked wonderful Dog!

orgoveg
Green Thumb

This still seems to be a popular thread, so I'll add my harvest, so far. Some of you might think that my diet is strange :)

Early spring, I began adding violet and garlic mustard leaves to my salads. I really enjoyed some boiled maple seeds for the first time (with butter and salt). Occasionally, I munched on the young maple leaves growing all over the yard. As they became available, I added purslane and lamb's quarters to my spinach salads. The spinach lasts for such a short time in the spring. Recently, I've been trying to devour all of the lettuce and mulberries.

I've had alot of turnip greens, which I like to eat cooked with beans (canned) and chopped green onions. I pull the onion sets that have sent up scapes early. Sometimes, I cook them in the juice of frozen tomatoes from last season with garlic and ground pepper. I've done the same with the kale, which I also like raw in salads and on sandwiches. Of course, I've had turnip roots, as well. I'm not a big fan of them, but since I grow them...

Most recently, I've been enjoying cooked stinging nettle, amaranth, and the first green beans to become large enough to harvest. I had to collect the stinging nettle from elsewhere as the seeds I sowed did not produce (probably not mature enough when collected). The purslane and lamb's quarters are in unlimited supply throughout the season.

Lots more to come! I can't wait to make dill pickles.

Oh, I forgot about the black mustard greens I added to my cooked turnip greens and kale.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

parsley potatoes AGAIN! because they were so fantastic the first time :D I will never NOT grow taters again!!!

Also having a slice or two of a 1 pound German Queen (pink) tomato. The Giants are starting to come on now :()

Thomas CA

squash, zucchini, squash, zucchini...coming out my ears! LOL
I'm harvesting 5-6 of each every day! And I live alone, so it's quite the bounty for one person.

Been making tons of zucchini bread for home and work.

Last night I had spaghetti with garlic, anchovies, zucchini, squash and basil. A nice hearty staple.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Squash hash with yellow squash, zucchini and onion.

Green tomatoes and okra fried together.

Fresh maters...Bright red slices and juicy

Ice Cold glass of milk

Only thing to make it all better would have been Hot Cornbread.

applestar
Mod

Veggie medley with diced bacon and tofu in sour cream sauce:
Baby onions, new garlic, yellow squash, carrots, yellow beans, peas, kohlrabi, Bolting lettuce, and store bought zuke for extra green color. Might have dug some potatoes too, but didn't think of it until I already washed my hands. :wink:

susanaproenca

Grilled zucchini and yellow squash and cucumber salad. Yum!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Broccoli and snow peas.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

a Few chilies and peppers. Starting to really grow...
some broccoli side shoots for a beef and broccoli dish. More strawberries and rhubarb picked today, I will make a strawberry rhubarb jam. I believe that will be it of the strawberries however. some lettuce greens, which I need to do something with. Bean plants are finally starting to grow beans. Overall though, its been a little too hot 90's 90's and upper 80's all summer so far, with high winds again returning to the upper 30mph range...annoying. But right now I can't complain too much :D especially after that 90mph hit we took from that tornatic thunderstorm. People are still picking and cleaning up the damage....

Seems as if the tomatoes may have gotten early / or some time of blight...so I was a little disappointed with that. They are looking very very rough, they looked so good before that storm.

applestar
Mod

Not just wind damage to the leaves from being blown around?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”