cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

My Garden it grows!!

So I have posted pictures of my other several attemps at a garden, and since this one is going strongly I figured well I may as well show of pictures of the garden that actually grows!

Walla Walla Onion growing (after the dog took pulled it out, ate most of it and left it laying in the lawn, I think its doing quite well!)
[img]https://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/cherishedtiger/garden062210008.jpg[/img]

My first Bell Pepper!
[img]https://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/cherishedtiger/garden062210007.jpg[/img]

Look! My corn is actually turning into corn!
[img]https://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/cherishedtiger/garden062210001.jpg[/img]

My hot banana pepper - along with a bunch of other peppers all growing in there!
[img]https://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/cherishedtiger/garden062210003.jpg[/img]

Corn/Beans/Onions... and whatever else I manage to capture in this picture!
[img]https://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/cherishedtiger/garden062210002.jpg[/img]

Its taken me some time to get that garden going like it is, and for my first garden I can say I am quite proud of my self!

Cant wait to actually eat from it!

Cherish[/img]

sassyjvg

Congrads to you, everything look quite healthy! How long ago did you put in the plants and did you start from seed or plants? I really like the picture of the growing corn. That's the first time I've seen it up close at this stage of growth. BTW, Thanks for your kind words on my begginner's luck garden(sassyjvg from STL). I think you and I will be even better next year!

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Well, I started everything from seed, then the dog destroyed the garden. So from that I had some beans, carrots and I think a cantaloupe that I was able to salvage. Everything else I got already started from the local store.

I replanted everything at the end of April, beginning of May. And with all the rain we had everything turned out great!

As for the corn, its my first time growing it, so to see it go from just long green leaves to something different I was super excited!

Hispoptart

Congrats on things growing! It's looking great!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

How was the dog, after eating so much onion? It can be toxic (Heinz-body anemia, which causes the blood to become so thick it can't get through the blood vessels, causing anemia of the vital organs) to dogs. Make sure Fido can't get to the onions again. :shock: It will be better for both of them. :wink:

Lucky person (irony): how can you be in Sunset 8, 9, and 14? (My Sunset book, with its excellent detailed maps, is upstairs while I'm downstairs with Vergil for several weeks while he recovers from TPLO surgery.) North of Sacramento, maybe, with a little elevation? (I'm going from memory here....)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

mansgirl

Looks great! I've always wondered about those topsy turvy growers. Are you happy with the turn out? It looks like its growing well!

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Well, as for the sunset zones, thats what I pulled from the net. But yes north of Sacramento, just outside of Roseville, so just a smidgen of elevation.

As for the dog, we had 2, the one destroying the garden also had a habit of destroying everything else and we did have to find him a new home. Luckily all he ate was the tops as it was a new plant.

My topsy turvy growing planter is a miracle. Everyone around here is having issues growing peppers due to the cool spring and lots of rain. But mine are going strong! Of course with it supposed to be 100 this weekend, I will have to see how they adapt to the heat.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Your photos have disappeared; did you move them at Photobucket?

Roseville is *in* 14, but the dividing line parallels 9. 8 is over a ways. What this means is that your yard will behave as if it's in 14 on the sides that get the most sun. The shady sides will act more like 9, as will any colder microclimates you have. If the weather gets odd for longer periods of time (two weeks continuous, for example), look to 8 for ideas.

The book's maps are much more detailed than the net; what the net did to the Seattle area is particularly egregious. Several zones were dropped outright, and many boundaries which make a big difference were just "straightened out." Yep, around islands, bays, and other wind vectors...

Cynthia

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Aghh!! My pictures!!! Oh... I messed with photo bucket and put them into a folder... well now to figure out how to fix it!

Yeah I am pretty close to Roseville which is nice because we don't get all of the Sacramento blacktop heat as we call it.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

ok phew photos are back!

I also forgot to add... out of all my green beans I finally have 1 yes 1 green bean starting!!

We had quite a few days of heat and with that everything has started to take off! So excited! I did a happy bean dance in my backyard yesterday! LOL!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

cherishedtiger wrote:the Sacramento blacktop heat as we call it.
if you want to know more about this phenomenon, look up the phrase "urban heat island."

Cynthia

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Cynthia- Very interesting!! This is one reason I will never live in the middle of the city in an apartment or something! I have to have a yard, well of course I do I need my garden!

Thanks for sharing that, my husband and I have discussed it before but never knew that term.

Decado
Green Thumb

Do you only plan on eating green onions from your Walla Wallas? The bulbs won't get very big planted that closely.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Nice garden! What you are seeing the corn do is called "tasselling". The plant is forming the tassel which will eventually pollinate the silk on the ear when it forms. Before you know it you'll be covered up in green beans! :shock:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”