Ardangardener
Newly Registered

squash blossoms drying up without friut

I have a problem with my zuccini and my yellow summer squash... they blossom profusely on healthy plants but the blossoms dry up with no sign of a fruit forming. I'm growing them in a raised bed behind a concrete block wall and was wondering if the concrete would affect them. They seem to be pollinated by a wasp. This has been happening for ove a week now with new blossoms every day or so. Any ideas?

Tinijocaro
Newly Registered

Could it be that all your blossoms so far are males? Only the females will produce fruit. If the blossom doesn't have a tiny zucchini lump behind it, then it is a male and will never produce fruit. You might just need to wait for some female blossoms.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I concur.

Ardangardener
Newly Registered

I now have babies... I just wasnt being patient. Thanks for the replies.

decam0

I've heard (and correct me if I'm wrong) that it's best to pinch off the males stems before they have time to develop a blossom and pollinate the female blossom. This polination apparently makes the fruit taste bitter.
I do this and still get fruit without pollination.

decam0

P.s. I'm talking about zuchinis (or as we call them in the UK - courgettes!)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

No worries, zucchinis are just summer squashes. I love them but, only plant one or two seeds now after having a garden full of them a few years ago.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”