gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

First pumpkin of the season.

I'm excited about this, actually it is a sqaush but to me it will be a pumpkin. The variety is [url=https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.seedsavers.org/Sources/GetImage.axd%3Fown%3DSS%26imageid%3D4871&imgrefurl=https://www.seedsavers.org/Items.aspx%3FhierId%3D41&h=100&w=100&sz=5&tbnid=8D_efWHQ30iR2M:&tbnh=82&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlady%2Bgodiva%2Bsquash&usg=__ocpTssqKsGMWcqk2ZSGFIUiyDLQ=&sa=X&ei=kh0eTIW5NJDSngfr1bDnAw&ved=0CC0Q9QEwBA]Lady Godiva[/url] it is known for it's very tasty seeds. I just love pumpkin seeds, my favorite thing about halloween.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03837.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

How fun! I have never grown that variety.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah it is fun this is only one of quite a few fruit growing. I can't wait, I am even going to have a friend of mine grown some for me he has a few 100 acres and has a HUGE patch of pumpkins, gourds and whatnot growing just for the fall season.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Pumpkins are such fun to grow, but I've only grew them once. They just take up too much space for my small garden, and squashbugs are nuts about them!

EG

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations! Mine have just sprouted (planted late) but they are an early-maturing variety, so I'm hoping I'll still get some fruit this year.

By the way, how do you eat pumpkin seeds? I've never heard of that before.

2cents
Green Thumb

You can soak them if you like first(salt or sugar water)
Then bake them till they start to turn color.

This year is my first attempt at a Dill's Atlantic. Never grown a giant, not trying for a record just a big Jack-o-lantern for the kids.
Blossoms not pumpkins yet. I might have to get aggressive and polinate them myself.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

If you want to grow a pumpkin for seeds to snack on, try Snack-o-jack pumpkin. It's a hulless seed.

https://www.reimerseeds.com/snack-jack-pumpkins.aspx

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I wanted to grow Lady Godiva or Kakai this year but didn't get around to ordering seed. Instead I planted seed from last years big haloween pumpkin, and Lumina (white pumpkin). Lumina is a different species so I don't have to worry about it crossing for seed saving.

I'm also gowing Delicata again.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:
I roast them at about 400 for about 30-40 min. It depends on how fresh they are and since I love them so much they are always very fresh so the cooking time varies for me. If the start popping they are done.

Once I start with them I can't stop. :shock:

There are ton's of different way's to make them but that is how I normally do it.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:
garden5 wrote:
I roast them at about 400 for about 30-40 min. It depends on how fresh they are and since I love them so much they are always very fresh so the cooking time varies for me. If the start popping they are done.

Once I start with them I can't stop. :shock:

There are ton's of different way's to make them but that is how I normally do it.
Thanks guys. Do you eat the whole seed, or only a certain part? What do they taste like?

It looks like pumpkin pie won't be the only way I'll be enjoying my pumpkins this year :D.

By the way, can you eat the seed from any pumpkin or only certain kinds?

Thanks a lot.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

G5 They taste like heaven to me. Kind of nutty hard to explain really. :lol: But you can eat the whole thing after roasting. I believe most seeds can be eaten, my family got me started on this and they were always pumpkins from the pumpkin patch. Though obviously certain types are better than others. I got pumpkins last year from about 4 places and some were just not good while others were awesome.

The Lady Godiva as well as many others are especially good. Mine are naked seeds, or without hulls. They are green and don't have the hard shell and I believe can be eaten straight out of the pumpkin. Look up "Styrian" they are a type that can be used for oil and have tasty seed as well.

Here is a link if you are interested. If you look deep enough this is what people go for when wanting the seed for eating. There are many variates. https://www.liseed.org/snackseed.html

Have fun.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Another thing I can't remember who told to use chili powder as a seasoning but I thank you. I normally just used garlic, onion powder sometimes Cajun seasoning. Whatever I felt like at the time.

But I made a few batches with chill powder last year as the main spice and they were the best ever. Not hot like chili but just dang good and good for you too.

I can't wait. :wink:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

MMMMmmmm...

I like to sprinkle mine with cajun seasoning and then roast them like Gix does! They are insane.

I have planted sugar pie punkins this year. I have had several small punkins but they just rot when they get a little bigger than golf balls. :cry: I hope I get at least a few. The plants are running like crazy!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Lindsay if you like them with Cajun spice you have got to try the chili powder at least on a small batch. Thrust me they burst in your mouth with flavor.

Gix drooling: ................................................................................. :P

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Here is the pumkin seed cooking thread

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20052&highlight=boiling+water+butter

You can eat the seeds from any squash or pumpkin, so don't toss them away when you have acorn squash, spaghetti squash, etc. Edible seeds were the primary reason they were domesticated.

If they are cooked right you can't help but crunch up the hulls. Good source of fiber.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”