taweste
Newly Registered

Flowers for Damp Areas

I have fairly large section in my yard that is relatively wet. Some parts stay muddy all the time, other parts have some shallow standing water, and there are also some fairly dry mounds scattered throughout. I also keep some bee hives close to this area, and I would like to know if there are certain types of flowering plants that might do well in this type of area?

Thanks
Tim

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Depends on what zone you live in but potentilla, a deciduous woody plant, primarily yellow blooms all summer, growth 2' would be excellant, under Zone 6. There are many perennials that would be nice as well but instead of misleading you because they are not on the tip of my tongue go to perennials.com and put your search in.

taweste
Newly Registered

Thanks for your help. I am in zone 5b

taweste
Newly Registered

Also, how would I go about accomplishing my goal? There is a lot of grass and large weeds everywhere. Can I just throw a ton of seeds all over the place?

applestar
Mod

Oh boy! I've lots of suggestions for you! :D
It WOULD help to know where you are located though.

For me in NJ, starting early in spring, there's Ground Ivy, which is a non-native weed that nobody likes but it's about the only ground flowers around and bees love them. Then -- sticking more to native plants, we have violets, Winterberry Holly flowers and Inkberry Holly flowers, Tiarella, Viburnums, native azaleas, and Kalmias, Blueberries and Cranberries, Virginia Sweetspire, Iris versicolor, Marsh Marigold. And let's not forget Swamp Red Maple and Swamp Magnolia or Golden Alexanders.

Into summer, there's Summer Sweet which is usually COVERED with bees, wild day lilies, Monarda (or any other mint for that matter -- Peppermint, Spearmint, Applemint...), Spicebush and Buttonbush, Red and Blue Lobelias, Swamp Milkweed....

Whew, is that enough yet? :lol:

I'll think about more summer through fall flowers and post later. :wink:

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”