applestar
Mod

Wish I were there. :( :wink:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Finally a break, going to higher than seasonal average for a few days. Will visit mid and upper sixties to low 70's over the next three days. The tomato plants are already outside this morning, soaking up some sunshine. The older plants are large, in three gallon containers, and have blooms, but the color and thickness is not what it was last year. Also, am having some trouble with aphids as the plants have stayed in the warm, humid greenhouse far too much.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

We are scheduled for a week of 60's by day, and above freezing nights... yeah!

Lots to get done, before winter returns, or spring rains arrive!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

We've been having sunny/partly cloudy days and rainy nights for about the past week. Daytime temperatures have been in the high 50s/low 60s, with nights in the mid 40s. Gorgeous weather! :D

There's a cold front on the way, though, destined to hit us tonight and produce snow in the mountains down to the 1000' mark. Happily, I'm below that level! :lol:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Evening of the big premiere, and the fact that I was able to coax a hundred and four people indoors to watch a movie about pesticides still astounds me; it was GORGEOUS out today, really wonderful, and still they came. Even got Rep. Roy, co-chair of the House Environmental Committee! Long story short, guess who's appearing at a hearing at the Statehouse tomorrow?

Mr. Helpful Goes to Hartford... 8)

HG

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

The HG all dressed up with a suit coat and tie and EVERYTHING??!! :o This we gotta see--send pictures. Somebody quick, follow him around with a camera! Do you even own a suit? I suppose all your ties are supporting plants or something...

(Ducking for cover now...heh, heh, heh!)

Gerrie

Cold front moving in, snow expected in some areas. Got to provide a little more coverage for some plants. We seem to have a false spring every February and I get the itch to plant, then of course, I kick myself when I have to go protect everything, arrgh.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Frost predicted for tonight. The weather advisory says to cover all tender plants. :!:

Gerrie

Oh yeah, done that. Covered what's in the veggie garden, roses are pretty much on their own, sigh. Only ten days til our supposed last frost date, let's hope for the best.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Not to bad we had a storm the other night and I thought my house would blow away and land in OZ.
We got some hail and it has bee cool. Some cars coming down Wildcat Mt. road had snow on them so the snow level is low for this time of year. With a low snow level Mt. Hood is getting snowed on so I am going skiing saturday. Down here it looks all green. In the spring it is so cool to come from Mt. Hood where it is all white and winter like and come down to my home where it is all green. Mt. hood has year round skiing up high on it.
It should get sunny this week end, I hope.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

After a long rain and some big storms it was dry enough today to go out and mow the lawns. For a big part of the day the sun was out and out was heaven just the right day for out doors. My wife’s dad who just turned 91 lives with us and one of the ridding mowers has an automatic transmission that you can control the speed with a shifter handle so he can use that one. Forest loves to get out and mow the lawn, it helps me and he just enjoys doing it. We worked a few hours and got quite a bit done today so it will not take too much to finish tomorrow.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Dry and pushing 100 for the last week and foreseeable future.

We beat a thunderstorm last night bringing the boat in. We ended up docking in what we later found out was a 60 mph wind. It was exhilarating.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

We are dry!
We keep getting just enough rain to keep the humidity up!
I am still having to water the garden.
So, it is hot and humid here, plus very dry! I know humid and dry? Well, it is! The soil is moist on the surface only.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Beautiful day! Sunny and going to be 70º. :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Brrrr! It's only 51º outside! I'm freezing! I'm gonna have to put on a sweater, I guess. And just yesterday, it seemed as if summer was almost here! :(

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Kisal we made records for the coldest day. It is raining once more!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Well, no wonder my hands feel like icicles! :lol:

Maybe I'll give in and turn the heat back on. :roll:

Raining here, too. :>

applestar
Mod

Same as yesterday -- HOT and MUGGY. Sauna. Just standing around leaves you sticky. Teasing hints of moisture, plenty of it, in the air, but none coming down to the ground.

I was going to do something not strenuous or hot today -- like setting up in the shade and uppotting, but there is no relief being in the shade.

Stop hogging all the rain over there! :x The rain we had the other day was just enough to recover, not enough to sustain. I really need to water but I keep hoping I won't have to... :?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Ha-ha! I'm sure everyone in the PNW would be delighted to share some of the rain, if you guys would send just a bit of warmth our way! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

It is 86 degrees and raining.
A nice slow soaking rain. Good sized raindrops, but one of those pleasant rains that you really enjoy. Not dark, not windy, I don't hear any thunder anywhere, just a lovely shower!
Finally! Maybe I won't have to water today!

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

103 yesterday. Had late night rain but still watered. Cool wave today, only 95.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

SOOOOOooo freaking hot here! Like 102 today, got home from work at 7 and all my cucurbits looked weepy. Thought it was gonna storm, heard some rumbling, but it didn't. Really need a good soaking rain.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Rain this morning, but became sunny by 4:00 p.m. Only 65º, though. Tomorrow should be nicer, up to 70º.

But then rain again on Saturday, or so they say. :roll:

applestar
Mod

Yesterday, the thermometer in the Front Porch Oven (gets REALLY hot from westering sun) registered 128ºF. This morning, in the pre-dawn chill, it was 55ºF. :shock:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We have an outside thermometer in the front and the back. The one on the east side gives us a pretty accurate prediction of what's going to happen. I'm not sure why they do this because they are both out of direct sunlight.

It's not unusual to have the east one read 115 or 120 until 2 PM and then for an hour or so they both may read 105 or so. Then the one on the west side will climb to 120 or 125.

The heat here is oppressive. Thanks to humidity that rarely drops under 75%. sweat never dries. Even with headbands and handkerchiefs, it's difficult to keep it out of your eyes.

We work and water the garden 3 or 4 days a week and spend 3 or 4 nights on the boat. We stay in on the boat until nearly sunset. We only cruise at night. The nights are in the 80s until at least midnight and we wear light jackets. I guess the blood really does thin in the heat or it's another geezerfication symptom. Store bought teeth make a pleasant maraca sound when they chatter.

I'm 57 and I pant while I work. It takes 20 minutes in the shade to recover normal breathing. It's very difficult to work early or late because the mosquitoes are waiting. You have to wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt hosed down with Off to be outside early or late. It's just easier to sweat, pant and brave the mid day heat.

Oddly enough there are no mosquitoes or no see-ems on our freshwater lake like there were on the coast.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

What else? Rain. :roll:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

99 F today. Feels like 112F.

Left work today and it looked like a monsoon! Heavy downpours, rain going sideways, thunder, lightening, the whole hurricane shebang! I was so excited about the prospect of my garden getting some overdue rain :D. Got home a mere 20 minutes after the storm to a bone dry, wilting garden...

How disappointing is that? Not even one drop here... Guess I'll be out there with the mozzie swarms tonight...watering the garden...Again :ureAure would be nice to get some rain.

rootsy
Green Thumb

Michiganders better batten down the hatches....

https://www.accuweather.com/us/radar/sir/mi_/radar.asp?play=true

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Nice day. Overcast, but already close to 70º, so it might get up to 75º by afternoon. :)

pepper4
Green Thumb

90's today here with heat index at 100. Had that weather for about 3 days now. Right now though there is a storm going through. Sheets of rain and rather strong winds. Kind of glad though because we needed it but hopefully we won't have 3-4 days of it like last week when everything was under water.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Me mind on fire -- Me soul on fire -- Feeling hot hot hot
Party people -- All around me feeling hot hot hot
What to do - On a night like this
Music sweet - I can't resist
We need a party song - A fundamental jam

So we go rum-bum-bum-bum
Yeah we rum-bum-bum-bum
Feeling hot hot hot -- Feeling hot hot hot - oh Lord

We're never going under a hundred again.

kammie
Newly Registered

Hot and humid in WI. I think it's building up to some storms. Hopefully it won't be as bad as Monday night - tornados were about 50 miles away :cry:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It was a nice hot day and did not rain, I worked in the garden all day. 8) :P

Pinky5
Newly Registered

Hot! Hot! Hot!

pepper4
Green Thumb

Showers this morning then got hot and humid. Down pour this afternoon then the humidity got worse. They Say, no rain the rest of the week and slightly cooler temps. The hi temps don't bother me, it's the humidity. Hey Pinky5, maybe you can be a back up singer for CharlieMV. LOL :wink:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

We're never going under a hundred again.
How bout it...

It finally rained here after 17 days! It is 'posed to rain all day tomorrow. Much NEEDED and I am feeling a little less stressed! Watering is one garden chore I wish I would never have to do.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

We're on 90 in Aiken. You must be up near G-ville. I think we get hotter here but we've had rain about every night for the last week east of Columbia. The lightening has been really bad for the last few nights.

On weekends in Columbia on the lake we've had to race T storms back to the dock several times. Being tall on the water is bad. I like being back in the dock tied up a few slips away from the sail boats;)

Hope y'all get rain soon. It seems that it's a vicious circle. Dry begets dry, heat begets heat, T'storms beget T'storms.

I would be happy to have back up singers if I rated them. I' m a better back up than lead and can hold my own with most on the harmonica. Little Walter is a hero of mine.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Charlie I am taking a break from playing the blues right now.
Sunny with blues sky! :wink: :D

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

You must be up near G-ville.
Spartanburg.

We've been getting LOTS of thunderstorms, but they have been dry. still over 90. :roll:

It rained all night last night. Finally, I haven't been out to the garden today, but I'm getting ready to go out now. I'm sure I'll find fuzzy squash and 8" okra :evil:

I'll be your lead singer 8) 8) 8)

Not posed to raaaaaaaaiiiiiiiin for the next 10 DAYYYYYYYYYYY!
Wish we could go baaaaaaack to days like in MAYYYYYYYYYYYY!

hahaha...Take it CHARLIE!

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Rain, Rain Rain. It rained Yesterday, all day ranging from a torential downpour to a sprinkle and back to down pour and back. Today was the same. Tommorrow.... most likley the same. The day after, probably rain. Once this hurricane is gone maybe I can go outside without getting drenched. Then I'll just fly away with the mosquitos

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”