only1swan

Container Gardening HELP!!!!

I recently planted
3 different types of Pepper:
Chocolate Bell Pepper
Yellow Bell Pepper
Sweet Italian all of which are in containers! My question is how long does it REALLY take for them to mature is it ok for 4 pepper plants to be housed in 1 container? I purchased the plants @ a nursery & had not realized that there where 3 plants :oops:

I purchased my tomato plant the same way & I have 4 in 1 container, will they mature?

Also, Is it ok to plant Chives & Cilantro in the same pot? I also planted Spearmint, when is it ready to harvest?

Which of my plants grow ALL OVER the garden of not contained, Thai Basil, Chives or Cilantro?

Yes I have actually done research on my entire garden :wink: I have read many different articles & became a bit overwhelmed with information!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Each of your tomato plants should be in a container no smaller than a 5-gallon bucket. Tomato plants are heavy feeders and, of necessity, have rather extensive root systems.

Your pepper plants will do best if each is in its own separate container, as well. They should be in containers of at least 2-gallon size or larger.

Chives and cilantro should be okay in the same pot, as long as it's large enough to allow good root development.

The mint is the one that will take over your entire yard. Keep it contained! The rest ... basil, etc. ... should be fine.

HTH! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Good answer from Kisal and yes, you HAVE to get all those peppers and tomatoes into separate containers ASAP if you want them to do anything.

You didn't say what kind of tomatoes, but do you know that the average tomato plant is going to get to be at least 6' tall and 3' wide before it is done? You need some kind of cage/ staking system to support it.

The pepper plants don't get as big, why Kisal said it could be in a smaller container, but can easily get to 3-4' tall.

How long does it really take for them to mature? Depends on conditions, type of pepper, and what you mean by mature. I start my peppers from seed indoors, in February. In July I have peppers that are eating size, but still green. If you want them all the way ripened turned all red or yellow or whatever color it is genetically programmed to turn, you can add another month to that, probably.

only1swan

I have "Chocolate Beauty, Sweet Italian & Sweet Yellow Bell Peppers!
I'm also growing Cherry Tomatoes!
Thank you both for the advice! I MUST love this new gardening hobby because I was planting Spinach, Onion & garlic in ground while it was raining! :oops: But hey I had a ball! LOL! :flower:
So I can plant my Basil, Cilantro & Chives in the same pot? Or should I just plant my Basil & Cilantro together! My chives are already n a pot alone!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Have you seen any of these plants full grown? Just because they are babies now doesn't mean they are going to stay that way.

My basil plants in containers are already 2' tall and filling the container.

Cilantro will end up 18" - 2' tall and the plants should be spaced 9 -12" apart.

You HAVE to allow room for the plants to get to their mature size.

applestar
Mod

Also, cilantro doesn't like the heat and will bolt (mine are all bolted and most are flowering already) so it's better to keep them in a cooler situation but basil loves the heat. Cilantro can take more shade than basil. On the other hand, though, note that basil leaves remain more tender when kept somewhat (as in dappled) shaded and not in the full scorching sun.

only1swan

Thank you all for the info & advice! I am going to repot them ASAP! I will keep you posted on thier progress!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”