Lunacy
Cool Member

The Incredible Shrinking Tomato Plant

So this is my first garden and I'm having fun and fighting the good fight with much help from you guys.

I have been monitoring my plants daily and picking off bugs and trying to stay organic. Well now I have maters growing on all the plants that do maters BUT the one that was doing the best has started to droop a little and seems to be shrinking! It has a quite a few nice sized maters that seem to still be doing fine but since I haven't read here that tomato plants shrink when the fruit comes so of course I'm worried. Please take a look.

[URL=https://s867.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

This is a Early girl, as I think you can see I've been fighting leaf eating bugs lately. It used to climb well over that cheap tomato cage (yes I know you guys hate those cages but I put it on before I read your wise words and before the trellis sticky was up there.) [/url]
Last edited by Lunacy on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

When I lived in Los Angeles there was a moth that put green caterpillars on my plants, which made holes like that. The worms retreated close to the stem during the day. BT (Bonide brand Thuricide, etc) will take care of them.

The plant looks like it may have slumped from the weight of fruit, or a worm may have nipped off a growing tip.

Are you sure that is Early Girl? The way the flower truss comes out at the top of the stem, next to a mature leaf, make the plant look like a determinant variety. OK, I looked it up. That must be Bush Early Girl, which is determinant.

Lunacy
Cool Member

TZ The knowledge that you guys have here is astounding!

They are little green worms! And I was wondering how they got up to my topsy turvy hanging plant! I never thought of a moth!

And that may not be an Early girl I thought it was but it may be a celebrity I got some plants mixed up so I'm not sure.

Thank you for the insight, thank you very much.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've never heard of tomato plant shrinking! Have you had periods of drought or prolonged temperature extremes?

Lunacy
Cool Member

No Drought, and all my other plants are doing well. I believe TZ solved the mystery, he said the weight of the fruit has pulled the leaves down and made the plant appear to by getting smaller.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”