tomf
Super Green Thumb

Coyote pups stopped by today, photos.

The pups came by today but I did not see mom around.

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/_DSC0026-2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/_DSC0024.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/_DSC0020.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/_DSC0018.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/_DSC0015-3.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/_DSC0002-1.jpg[/img]

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

very cute pics.

I like coyotes, a few hundred miles away! Not close by.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sweet pics, Tom! :D

Any idea with the little furball in the second to the last pic is carrying in his mouth, or is it just an optical illusion? :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Looks like a Fluffy-Tailed Rat to me. But maybe we can only hope...

Cynthia

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The baby looks a little young to be much of a hunter, yet. Those fluffy-tailed rats can be quite wily, and would probably outsmart the little critter. I was thinking the object looked like a crust of bread, and that Tom might have done a bit of baiting to get the pics. Whatever it is, I'm sure the little guy or gal is immensely proud for having won such a prize! :lol:

applestar
Mod

In the words of my DD8: AWWW!!! THEY'RE SO CUUUUUUTE !!! :()

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

And very, very cuuuute.

Cynthia

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Kisal your right it is bread but I put it out for the birds, this was the first time I saw the pups. I have a Sapsucker Woodpecker that I am trying to get a good picture of but he is being difficult. He likes to squawk at me although. There are a set of baby deer twins not much bigger than the coyote pups I want to photo also.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Hey! What do you know! Another night owl! :lol:

JONA878
Greener Thumb

We've got enough to cope with over here with Foxes...let alone coyotes..and Fluffy tailed Rats??? ye Gods it's bad a enough with the the naked tailed varieties..
Love hearing about the creatures you get over that side of the pond. Even the insects are so different to our bugs.

applestar
Mod

So true... my kids wish we could have hedgehogs visiting our garden.... :D

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Fluffy tailed rats?
We mainly have packrats, they are cute little squirrel like fellows. Kind of a pain when they move into your house, but nothing like having norway rats etc in your house. They still get into stuff, and are annoying, but they are so cute! I end up live trapping them, because I just don't have the heart to poison them.
Coyotes are a real hazzard to dogs, and cats, and other livestock, so not very welcome close to folks, I hear them, but see more foxes than coyotes.

applestar
Mod

:lol: That's what cynthia_h calls squirrels. She puts them on the same list as slugs and Bermuda grass. :wink:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Oh, okay, I didn't get that!
Hey, I blamed the squirrels for getting my english walnuts, but they didn't and I have 4 tiny little trees! I planted 11 nuts, 5 had roots already. So, they may have eaten some of them. But 4 is better than none.

Now for planting pecans and see if they will grow! Hey, folks living in pecan country, I want some pecans that will grow, when planted!
I will trade ya some black walnuts!

Fluffy tailed rats are squirrels... hmmm, well technically I suppose they are.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Ahaaa.
Now I get you.
A lot of us over here call the grey sqirrels tree rats ....much to the disgust of the fluffy tail lovers.
They have reduced our native red squirrel population down to just a few areas where the greys haven't reached.

We do get a lot of deer around the farm and there are a couple of Badger setts. Otherwise it's rabbits, ducks and the odd hedgehog that visit us each day.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Do you have hedge rows? I think they are cool.

One thing I am happy about is there are only a few Mt. Lion sightings. I have only seen their dropping once in my yard and it was a good 1/4 mile or more from the house. The lions seam to eat more people in California than up in the North West. As the matter it is very rare up here. Even bear attacks are rare but I have heard stories.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

tomf wrote:Do you have hedge rows? I think they are cool.

One thing I am happy about is there are only a few Mt. Lion sightings. I have only seen their dropping once in my yard and it was a good 1/4 mile or more from the house. The lions seam to eat more people in California than up in the North West. As the matter it is very rare up here. Even bear attacks are rare but I have heard stories.
Hedgerows?
The whole county is one big hedgerow. Down here in the south of England a field of over 20 acres would be a large field.
From the air the whole area looks like a giant patchwork quilt.
Wouldn't change it for the world as it is so beautifull whatever the time of year.

No lions down here.....although the rumours of a large cat of some sort have been around for years. ( Personaly think it's just the ramblings of some local on his way home from the pub on a dark night).
The most ferocious creatures we see are Stoats , mink and weasels. All of whome could give you a nasty suck if they are handled.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Fluffy tailed rats are squirrels... hmmm, well technically I suppose they are.
TECHNICALLY, they are not, despite both being family Rodentiae...

In every other estimation, cynthia is completley correct :evil:

Tom, the coyote pups are just fantastic; we used to live on an old pasture and used to see the coyotes come out to "dance" together on some summer evenings; even our cats liked to watch (from the same distance that OL likes them) :lol:

HG

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”